Author Topic: HOW MUCH OF THE JAR TO FEED  (Read 1012 times)

Offline mom2liam

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
HOW MUCH OF THE JAR TO FEED
« on: June 08, 2006, 21:07:51 pm »
Hi

My DS is 6 months old. He has been on solids since 4 months. We have today been given the go ahead to try chicken, yogurt etc.....I am also advancing him to stage 2 on the jared fruit and veg. At 6 months how much of the jar should I be giving him? There is 4oz (113g) in a jar of the stage 2 food. Should I give him the whole jar?
Thanks for you help
Wendy
Mom2Liam

Offline twoboys

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Living in Alberta, Canada - EH!
Re: HOW MUCH OF THE JAR TO FEED
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 21:32:10 pm »
Hi Wendy.
It seems our little ones are about the same age.  I am just starting my DS2 on solid foods - but what I did with DS1 is to give a 1/3 of the jar to start with.  If he still seems interested in it, give him a little more.  He will tell you when he has had enough by turning his head away or not opening his mouth. 

Hope this helps....
Stacey

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 22:29:06 pm »
If you want to save the food they don't eat, make sure you put some in another bowl and feed from the bowl.  For bacteria purposes, you should not save food in the container from which is was fed.  Did that make sense at all  ::)

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline J&Jsmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 28
  • South African living in England
    • Need to promote your baby-related business? Check out my website
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 21:02:30 pm »
Can I make a suggestion - have you tried the frozen baby food called Babylicious (http://www.babylicious.co.uk)? It comes in cubes just like if you made your own at home and froze it. You can then just pop out a few cubes and defrost them in a microwave. If your baby needs more, you can defrost a few more. Results in far less wastage than jars. Just an idea
Melissa
Mom to:
Joshua Charles Boleslaw born 14.02.2004
Jamie Edward Christopher born 15.09.2005

Offline twoboys

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Living in Alberta, Canada - EH!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 03:46:18 am »
I have never seen those in Canada.  We have these Heinz "mashed potato" meals....but I can never find them.  Apparently kids just love them but they are more for toddlers.

If you open a jar, take out what you need and you can refridgerate up to three days.  If you start out with 1/3 of the jar, it should last three feedings.  Pretty soon they will eat half - all depends on what it is.  I found out that my son loved broccoli/chicken/cheese casserole more than pasta/meat sauce.  Then before you know it, he will be eating a full jar.

It may take a few tries.....but soon you will know how much to feed.

Good Luck!!

Stacey