Author Topic: sleep training (wi/wo?) for 19 month old  (Read 919 times)

Offline Alison_3

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
« on: June 09, 2006, 14:36:02 pm »
My son is 19 months old and because of many reasons (mainly his reflux- which is still being treated, but under control) he doesn't go to sleep on his own unless I'm in the room.  I want to start to change this as I am pregnant and would like to have my evenings with my husband back again!  Plus, I think getting him to sleep on his own will help our early waking problem.  What do I do first?  Some nights I would pat him :-[ or have my hand on his back and others I just sit by his crib.  Should I start by moving close to the door or do I actually just start the walk in/walk out?  If he cries, do I talk to him to settle him?  If he's standing in his crib, should I lie him down?  I know, so many questions!  I just want to help my little guy sleep better!

Thanks!
Alison

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
Re: sleep training (wi/wo?) for 19 month old
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 15:19:42 pm »
I think it's a personal choice, but given what you said about personality type, spirited lo's have a harder time making transitions so you may find moving closer to the door is better.  I would sit on the floor at the end of the crib by the door where dd (who is also spirited) could see me if she sat up but not if she was lying down.