Author Topic: Nearly 15 mos -- STILL waking at night  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Paulsmama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: June 09, 2006, 20:01:48 pm »
Hi all, I appreciate all the help we've gotten here in the past, but unfortunately Paul is still waking up at night, it has been going on for nearly 10 weeks now.  He is getting his molars (has 3 now), walked across the room the other day and we have transitioned to 1 nap.  Thought we had it figured out a couple of weeks ago when we had been on 1 nap for about 2 weeks, and I was giving him ibuprofen at night, we were down to 1 wakeup around 2/3 am when his meds wore off and I'd give him another half dose.  Fantastic.  Then my folks came to visit and he got sick for a week.  He's been better a couple of days now but is now waking more at night, even though I started giving ibuprofen again.  I would really, really appreciate any insight you folks might have.

Our routine:
7/7:30 up for the day (with 1 nightwaking it was 6:30/7)
7:30/7:45 bottle and breakfast (eats a ton)
9ish quiet/story time
9:30 small snack
11:15 lunch
12ish nap (1.75-3 hrs, usually 2-2.5 hrs)
2:30/3 bottle/snack
5/5:30 dinner
6/6:30 bath, quiet play then bottle, brush teeth and books
7/7:30 asleep

During illness and still continuing:
1-4 crying wakeups between bedtime and midnight.  During illness would hold him back to sleep and only return to crib once he could breathe through his nose.  Now sometimes just need to hand him one of the small cloths he sleeps with, sometimes have to pick him up and his arms and legs seem twitchy.  Now that he's no longer sick these wakeups are very brief if we get to him right away.  Do you think they will stop on their own?
1 wakeup sometime between 1am and 5:30am where he is wide awake, has thrown his cloths out of the crib, and is yelling for us before he starts crying.  This wakeup can last 5 min up to an hour.  He won't settle down unless he is picked up and more often than not he ends up sleeping the rest of the night with someone on the daybed in his room (I'm nearly 6 mos pg and not up to holding/PD, and my mom has been helping me out during her visit).

When he was sick we held him to sleep so he could breathe.  Before that and for the past couple of days he is going to sleep in his crib.  We were working on gradual withdrawal (wi/wo made him nuts) so I lie down on the daybed in his room near the door until he is sleeping, usually he doesn't even get up to check if I am there, and I was going to start sitting in the doorway, and then he got sick. 

I would truly appreciate any advice.  I am really, really tired and worried he won't been sleeping by the time DS#2 arrives.
Cynthia

Paul--spirited/March 2005
Joseph--touchy-textbook??/Sept 2006

Offline shelliz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
Re: Nearly 15 mos -- STILL waking at night
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 03:29:05 am »
I am sorry I haven't any advice for you...but I thought I would bump your post up.

:) Shelby

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 13:54:35 pm »
Hi there--so sorry you aare having such a rough go right now.  Any of the things you've described--one nap transition, molars, sickness is enough to cause night waking but with all three at once--plus GP's visit--is tough. 

Regarding the wakings in the first part of the night, I found with my dd these were usually caused by too long an interval between nap wake up and bedtime.  A slightly earlier bedtime/shorter interval between nap wakeup and bedtime really helped my dd around that stage of molars/ transitioning to one nap, especially with these wakeups.  Those would also be the shortest w/u's of the night and like you I found if I could dash in as soon as that first cry started and put my hand on her she would settle right back to sleep without fully waking which made her better rested overall so I would continue doing that for as long as they are happening. 

Those wakeups in the second half of the night are harder because they can last forever.  What we did was cut back on our response because she would just be talking etc. So I would go in let her know I was there but then lay down on the floor where she couldn't see me.  Eventually this became me leaving after intially reassuring her to not going in at all b/c she wasn't waking upset.  So I think you'l  have to address the AP of taking him into the day bed through gradual withdrawal if you are not up to PD or walk in walk out.

HTH

Offline Paulsmama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 15:51:18 pm »
Thanks so much for the insight.  Hope I'm not jinxing us but the evening wakings have stopped the past couple of days, maybe because I've been working to extend his 1.75 hr naps to 2.5-3 hrs.  But, after such a long nap he doesn't seem to want to sleep for the night until after at least 5 hrs A time, so we are still trying to figure out bedtime.  Yesterday he woke at 6:15 am, napped 11:30-2:30, then we tried to put him down around 7:15 but he just walked around his crib laughing and didn't fall asleep until about 8:30 pm.  I think that part may be developmental because he is walking more and more each day.

Now as you said I really have to deal with the second half of the night wakings, unfortunately I may have to wait until my mom leaves in a few days because she now feels like she "owns" the night wakeups and takes any discussions/suggestions from me as criticism (prob because she isn't getting much sleep).  I think she enjoys the co-sleeping.  I also found out for naps she was letting him fall asleep on the daybed and then putting him in the crib, so I asked her to stop.  Otherwise the main difference since she arrived is that she'll take him on the daybed anytime after midnight, and I'd only take him there after 4/5 am (because otherwise I'd have to get up to go to the bathroom at some point and was afraid he'd fall off the bed). In the meantime I'll try to catch up on my sleep so I'll be well-rested enough to deal with it (and MIL, who is coming next!).

Thanks again.
Cynthia

Paul--spirited/March 2005
Joseph--touchy-textbook??/Sept 2006