Author Topic: Am I feeding her too often?  (Read 606 times)

Offline courtneyandmiles

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« on: June 10, 2006, 01:53:49 am »
Need some help here!  I'm currently trying to wean my 8.5 mo. Dd from her dream feed (for the third time since 7 mos. old).  I think I'm feeding her too often, and I'm wondering if it's causing her to need the df.  Here's her routine:  today I fed her TWELVE times!

E 6:00 bf (usually wakes at 7, but she woke early when I moved the 10 pm df to 9:30)
E 7:10 solids
"E" 9:00 bf (wanted her to make it through her nap w/out waking early from hunger, usually don't do this feed)
S 9:20-10:40 (short for her - usually 1.5-1 hr. 45)
E 10:40 solids
E 11:30 bf
E 1:00 solids
"E" 1:45 bf (usually don't do this feed, but wanted her to have a good nap)
S 1:50-3:45  yea!
E 4:20 solids
"E" 5:00 bf (clustering to help w/ weaning df)
E 6:30 solids
E 7:45 bf before bed
S 8:00
DF 10:00

Long, huh?  I'm so frustrated b/c my cousin's Ds is 6 mos. old, eats only FIVE times a day (bf after solids each time) AND sleeps through the night w/out a df!  what gives?  Should I feed her less often?  Certain times for solid meals?  I find it hard to fit her solid feedings around her naps that aren't always consistent.

Finding dinnertime hard.  She's usually hungry for dinner around 4:30, but I'm afraid to not feed her solids again before bed (around 6:30), in case she wakes hungry during the night.  Then does she take enough at 7:30?  I want to make sure my Dd is eating enough to make it through the night, but I feed at least 8 times, without the "extra" bf's.

thanks for your help!

Offline shelliz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
Re: Am I feeding her too often?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 02:11:15 am »
Just a couple of suggestions. I know that you should always offer BF first before solids as breastmilk (or formula) should be the primary source of nutrition for you lo until she is a year old. 

Here is my schedule. My dd is 7.5 months (will be 8 months on the 15th). So our lo's are close in age.

7:00 wakes and BF
8:00 Solids
9:45 nap
11:15 wakes and BF
12:15 Solids
2:30 nap
3:30 BF
4:30 Solids
6:45 final BF
7:00 bedtime

I am also weaning my dd off of the DF. The DF at this age actually can cause more nightwakings (so I have been told!)  I am moving the DF time up 15 minutes every two days.  I used to do the DF at 10:30 and since I have begun the weaning...we are at 9:15. I plan to be done w/ the DF by next week.  My dd still wakes 2 times during the night, but I only BF her around 3:00 a.m. I plan to get rid of this feed after the DF is gone and we have gotten over that hump. In my opinion...I think you are feeding too often. I know you say you BF her sometimes before naps in hopes that she will sleep longer. I would stick to your EASY routine and only BF every 4 hrs otherwise you may be creating a "snacker".  Waiting longer b/w feeds will also eventually help lengthen the stretch that she can go at night w/o a feed.  I think maybe the Cluster feeding (in this case) may be working against you b/c she is only taking in small amounts of milk. I know clustering may help in some cases, but I am thinking it may help if you stretch her a bit to stick to 4 hr EASY. You say it is hard to get in your dd solid feedings b/c naps are inconsistant.  If you always BF right after she wakes and then follow with solids one hour later...then it shouldn't matter too much how short or long the naps are.

One trick for the early waking is to extend you baby's Activity time after she wakes (and before her first nap). Only extend it 10-15 minutes a day and you should notice her morning wake time get a bit later after a few days of extending morning A time. 

Lastly....you are doing great! It is tough trying to figure these little munchkins out!   Hope some of this is helpful!

;) Shelby

Offline courtneyandmiles

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 13:05:40 pm »
thanks, Shelby!  You've reinforced the bf as a snack in-between solids.  I just get frustrated when I hear of moms whose babies eat less often and go from 7-7.  I must be doing well, though, since I only have to feed at 9 or 10, and she goes 'til 6 or 7.  thanks!