Author Topic: Not getting enough sleep  (Read 2342 times)

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 14:31:56 pm »
Rose

What's the teething situation?  I wouldn't consider dropping the nap until all of the 2nd year molars are in just to make sure that you have someway of allowing her to catch up on sleep if her nights get thrown off because of teething. 

I guess the next question is what is Karina like on the days that she naps or doesn't nap?  If she doesn't nap one day is she zonked the next or not too bad?

And finally what works better for your family?  Is the 9 pm bedtime a problem in that it disrupts Calvin?  Are you having to stay with her or is she just in her room amusing herself?  does your dh just want to drop the nap because the bedtime is at 9?  In my view the actual time she falls asleep, if it's not causing a problem for your family, is not as important is the total time and quality of the sleep.  A lot of us have an 8 pm bedtime but we're up at 5:30, so it's the same problem only shifted earlier. I think you may have said in your earlier posts that shifting or limiting naptimes hasn't helped, but if that is not the case you may want to see if a short nap works for you.  I know for Henrysmama and some others it hasn't but with my older dd limiting her nap to 1 hour did make it a little easier to get her down at night.

The short of it is I would only cut the nap out as a last resort because  would imagine it is a lot harder to try to re-establish it at this age once you've cut it out.   

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: Not getting enough sleep
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 20:38:13 pm »
Thanks so much for your thoughts!! I'm testing the shorter nap as of yesterday (tried a 1 hr), so we'll see. Yesterday was the wrong day to do it, since we were out late anyways (wasn't necessarily well planned on my part), and today needs to be longer because I messed up yesterday! But one of these days...

If Karina doesn't nap, she's usually just fine. A little more sensitive later in the day, but often fine. Which is why occasion no-nap days might work well for us.

I'm against giving up the nap, and really think it needs to be there at least some of the time, because I KNOW they go through periods again when they need more sleep. The only problem is that she's going to bed late - it doesn't wake up Calvin, she seems well-rested almost all of the time, she usually sleeps well in the morning (well after 6, which is GREAT in this house!), and she happily plays in her crib - we just go in every so often and tell her it's "night night time". So, it is really just a marital issue!!! My husband just thinks it's wrong for her to be up that late. I think these are some of the worst arguments we've had in a long time! I don't care what time she goes to bed, and as I'm sure many of you can relate to, I much prefer a 9 pm bedtime if it means she sleeps later in the morning. Not to mention, it would mean at leat one of my kids would actually get to see their dad a bit more, since he often works until they are getting ready for bed or already in bed (venting venting).

Thanks for listening.
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: Not getting enough sleep
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 03:37:08 am »
I was getting ready to post my own specific problems related to my dd's not ever going to sleep at night, and for the first time in forever she went to sleep within 15 minutes. Who else can appreciate this more than you all (and my husband who is at his wits' end?!!!!!) I only post this because I assume we are all a bit frustrated, and sometimes it helps to see a light at the end of the tunnel (no predictions here at all). Karina took a nap for over 2 hours before I woke her up (needed to catch up after a late night), so it was an extra bonus. I'm sure I'll be back complaining tomorrow...
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 14:22:00 pm »
Well if you need reinforcement for your argument that Karina still needs to nap most days, despite the late bedtime, I guess the last couple of days helps to demonstrate that Karina isn't ready yet to completely drop her nap. 

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 13:32:40 pm »
I definitely think Karina still needs her nap, despite how much she fights it.  With Carm, I just started going with teh flow.  I was on my own with both kids for the first time this week and I just realized that she's either going to sleep or not, and I can't force it.  We had a very good week with her.  A few shortened naps or early wake ups....but we managed.

Now my next problem is how to get my 3 week old to sleep during the day without having to be held!!!!!!!