Author Topic: Help with 4 Hour EASY  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Missy Lou

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
Help with 4 Hour EASY
« on: June 10, 2006, 14:18:55 pm »
I see a lot of posts about switching to 4 hour EASY.  I've posted a couple of times on this also.  I'm having trouble adjusting her routine from 3.5 hours to 4.  She can go 4 hours between feeding but can't stay up for 2 hours straight except in the mornings.  She will usually stay up for 1.5 hours and then sleep 45 minutes, up for about 30 minutes and sleep another 45.  I know the 45 minute naps means her A time isn't long enough but after 1.5 hours, she's either falling asleep, yawning a lot or starting to get fussy.  If I wait too long, she won't be able to get herself to sleep and will need my help. 

Plus, she'll sleep 12 hours at night so I don't want bedtime to be at 6 or even 6:30 because honestly it's too hard for me to be awake that early.  With the 3 hour EASY, her bedtime was 7:30 which was great but I can't seem to adjust 4 hour EASY to fit with that bedtime.  I'm sure it's because she isn't exactly on 4 hour EASY - it's more like 3.5/4 hour.  Also, she is sleeping through the night most nights (sometimes she's a mess though and is up once or even twice during the night but I really think it's because her days haven't been settled yet).  But sleeping through the night sometimes means she'll wake up after only sleeping 11 or 11.5 hours because she's hungry but I don't want to feed her at 6:30 when she wakes up and is still tired and then put her back to sleep because I'm afraid that will confuse her and mess up the routine - or is that what I should do?  I can tell she's still sleepy at that time because her eyes are red and it's hard to get her to stay awake for the entire 2 hours.  It usually ends up being about an hour and 40 or so minutes.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline Missy Lou

Re: Help with 4 Hour EASY
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 14:27:03 pm »
I guess you guys probably need our current routine.  I forgot to post it.

Wake time the past 2 weeks has varied a lot.  Sometimes 6:30 or 7 or 7:30.  I'll just use the 7 a.m. one as the example.

E:  7 a.m.
A:  7:15-9
S:  9-11

E:  11
A:  11:15-12:30
S:  12:30-2:30

E:  2:30
A:  2:45-4
S:  4-5:30

A:  5:30-6
E:  6
A:  6 - 6:30 - bath
S:  6:30

I know there's the issue of sleeping 1.5 hours right before bed but if I do the 45 minute catnap then she'll be up for an hour before she needs to get again - up at 5 and shouldn't eat until 6 and that's if she eats every 3.5 hours which she could probably wait and eat at the 4 hour mark.  Also if she plays for an hour from 5-6 and then eats at 6, she's already been up an hour before bedtime and will be really tired since she only slept for an hour right before so she'll sleep right after eating and have a 6 p.m. bedtime which means the latest she'll sleep in the morning is 6.

Also, the naps generally aren't straight through. She'll wake up in between and usually needs help settling back down for the second half of the nap and sometimes the second half of the nap is almost all her awake and fussing trying to sleep again.  So that in the second half of the nap, she'll only be asleep for about 20 minutes, making her nap time in total only about 65-70 minutes so that she's tired and cranky when she's up to eat again and can't stay up for the next activity time.

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 09:46:41 am »
How old is your DD?

Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline Missy Lou

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 01:19:49 am »
sorry about that - she's 17 weeks old.  she was 3 weeks early and weighs about 12.5 pounds.  she seems to do fine waiting four hours to eat but she can't stay awake for 2 hours at a time.

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 08:58:21 am »
My DD used to be like this.

I moved to a 3.5hr EASY until she was 6 months and could roughly stay up 2hrs with a bit of a push. She could stay awake fine for 2hrs before her 1st nap, then it went down to 1.30hrs-1.40hrs.

I used to put my DD to bed at 6.45pm and she used to sleep until 7am when I had to wake her to start the day. 

Any more questions feel free to ask.

I could also post my routine for you when my DD was 5 months if that would help.

HTH
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline Missy Lou

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 12:36:37 pm »
that would be great.  thanks.

Offline corrina01