Author Topic: Help with 6 month old formula fed schedule!  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 87
Help with 6 month old formula fed schedule!
« on: June 11, 2006, 12:02:12 pm »
My baby will be 6 months next week and finally is going 4 hours between meals.  But here is my question.  She used to eat 5 meals a day.  Bottle, solids, bottle, solids, bottle.  Because she is now eating every 4 hours instead of every 3 it is 9 or 10  p.m. before its time for her last bottle and she's asleep by then.  So last night she only at 4 meals, not 5.

Can someone help me figure out how to work in all her calorie needs with this new schedule?  I would really appreciate it.  I've found a lot of sample routines but most include BF and I don't know if formula fed is different.  The idea of giving her a bottle when she wakes up and then breakfast only an hour later seems like a lot of food to me -- it had been she'd take a bottle when she woke up and have breakfast 3 hours later.  So I'm all confused.

Thank you thank you!!
Jill
Mommy to Elise 12.14.05

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08

Offline Seona1973

• Showing Appreciation 21
Re: Help with 6 month old formula fed schedule!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 13:13:31 pm »
When I was weaning my schedule was sort of like this:
bottle - 7am
breakfast - 8am
bottle - 11am
lunch - 12pm
bottle - 2.30pm
dinner - 5pm
bottle - 7pm

When weaning I just counted the hours between bottles as the schedule i.e. there is roughly 4 hours between each bottle and the solids are slotted inbetween them. DD was never able to take both the solids and milk at the same time. Giving an hour between bottle and solids gave her enough time to clear a space for the solids. Leaving 3 hours between bottle/solids would mean you would never be able to fit in all your meals/bottle so may be easier to bring them closer together - maybe by giving smaller bottles more often to leave an appetite for the solid meals.

hth

Seona

Offline andrea21

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • My 2 boys...
Re: Help with 6 month old formula fed schedule!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 13:38:00 pm »
Hi!!!

My DS routine is similar to Seona1973

7am bottle
8am breakfast
11am bottle
12noonlunch
3pm bottle
5.30pm bottle
7.30pm bottle then bed until next morning.

He was BF at the start and we were all over the shop,one day every 4hours,next every3 so on.So at 4 months we changed to a bottle and it took about 3 weeks to get the feeding scheduled going good,then added the cereal which have been doing for 4 weeks and lunch for 1 1/2weeks now.

I no some people give Breakfast different times i.e straight after bottle and others wake one hour.I find one hour after his bottle is good time for me to get my DD ready for school.Otherwise I get no where.

Hope this is some help,i no it is hard trying to work it all out some days.

;D ;D