Author Topic: going away - how long will defrosted food last  (Read 1102 times)

Offline VLR2006

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
going away - how long will defrosted food last
« on: June 11, 2006, 17:19:49 pm »
Hi,
I know what the guidelines say i.e. use within 24 hours of being out of the freezer etc. but i was wondering if anybody has used vege's and fruit puree that had been out of the freezer longer.

We are going away for a week and i want to give him some homecooked food for as many days before moving to jars.  We are leaving on tues lunchtime so was wondering if i got out enough for lunch (veg) and dinner (fruit) for 2 days would i be able to use it on wednesday and thursday.  I know Wed will be fine, just not sure about thurs.   we are flying and i know planes are generally cold so hopefully it wont defrost until at least arriving at the hotel which by then will be straight in the fridge.

I will just take enough jars if this isnt safe, but i have so much food in the freezer and would rather him have it as he loves all his puree's.

thanks, Louise xx
Louise xx

Offline J&Jsmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 28
  • South African living in England
    • Need to promote your baby-related business? Check out my website
Re: going away - how long will defrosted food last
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 07:18:38 am »
Not sure but I think fruit and veg should last 2 days - I'd be more wary if it was meat or dairy.

Just an FYI - are you holidaying in the UK? If so, Babylicious (http://www.babylicious.co.uk) are offering a holiday delivery service where they will send frozen baby food to your holiday destination. You have to obviously have a freezer where you're staying and there has to be someone there to sign for it, but basically you'll get home made tasting frozen baby food for the duration of your holiday instead of jars. You order online on the Babylicious site
Melissa
Mom to:
Joshua Charles Boleslaw born 14.02.2004
Jamie Edward Christopher born 15.09.2005

Offline VLR2006

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: going away - how long will defrosted food last
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 12:05:56 pm »
I saw you add this website to another post and i looked on it straight away, what a fantastic idea.  I am not holidaying in the UK this time, going to the US, but will be in the UK for 3 weeks at the end of July so i am going to see if the hotel will put some boxes in the freezer, especially as by then he will be on meat and this sounds far more natural then the meat in a jar.  he is still on the veg and fruit puree's so i may be OK for a few days with my homecooked ones for this trip.

thanks for getting back to me.  Your little boys are adorable.

Louise
Louise xx