Author Topic: How too keep them in bed???  (Read 4557 times)

mommasboys

How too keep them in bed???
« on: June 11, 2006, 17:44:32 pm »
We are thinking about buying a bunk bed for our boys. Chase is really excited about it since he'll be the one on the top.  But i don't really feel ready to take dorian out of his bed.   I'm afraid once i take him out of the bed he CANNOT get out of i'll never be able to keep him in bed. 

When we moved chase to a toddler bed i had to lay down with him till he fell asleep just to keep him in bed and i DO NOT what to do that with dorian. He has always been a better sleeper than chase. At nap time and bed time all i have to do is lay him in his baby bed and tell him good night. He doesn't fight it or cry he just goes to sleep. I'm very afraid that will change once he is capable of getting out of his bed.

Does anyone have any suggestions or something that really worked for them???

Thanks in advance

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: How too keep them in bed???
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 18:10:09 pm »
What works best is making them part of the "process" that is talking to them about what's going to happen, let them choose sheets, etc.

Once the bed is set, you just lay Dorian there and tell him is night time and leave. He might stand up and you redirect him to his bed, the first time you explain him it's night time and we need to sleep in our beds. Following times, you just keep redirecting him without eye contact or talking, just soothing with your presence every time he jumps out. It might turn into an exhausting couple of nights but in the end, he'll understand that he's not supposed to climb out of his bed. Some moms put a baby gate in the door, it works for some, but for others, they just find this gate leads the baby to cry even more so he gets mommy/daddy to come and get him.

It is important to have in mind that this might turn into a 2 week period of not much sleep for all the family. Since Chase will be in the same room, he might get upset at loud nights. Do this transition when all family is ready for sleepless nights (maybe this coming summer when chase doesn't have to attend school?). If you think it is too early for Dorian to make this transition, by all means, hold on till you guys are all ready.

There are also some posts around here about switching to toddler's bed. You might have to surf through the board but they might be helpful for you to find another helpful insights.

HTH! and good luck!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline mumto5cuddlebugs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 50
  • me and littlest cuddlebug
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 18:50:20 pm »
Hi, I moved my ds into a bed when he was 18 months because dd needed his cot! I was worried about him getting out of bed because i did not want him grabbing dd through cot bars. We have a fold down soft bed raill that looks a bit like the side of a travel cot, it fits under the mattress. If he really wanted he could climb out of the end of the bed but the side creates more of a psychological barrier (and prevents him falling out). I have also always been quite firm about it and just placed him back in bed if he has got out, the thought of him walking around when we are asleep scares me a bit.
In the mornings he 'reads' his books but we put them next to his bed when we go to bed so he does not play with them while he is supposed to be going to sleep. Anyway i don't know if this particular rail will work with bunk beds but if you want to have a look at what i am (probably badly) trying to describe then the address below will show you one (sorry its not a link but not sure how to do that  :-\)
I agree with Florencia, it really helped that my ds was part of the process. I printed some pics of from the computer of his favourite animals and tv characters and he coloured them in and then he helped me put them up on his wall. We also got lots of glow in the dark stars and he 'helped' us to cover his walls and ceiling in them, this made him really look forward to having the light turned off and the first few nights he just wanted to skip story so he could see them sooner. hth, good luck with whatever you decide.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3753701.htm
Kirsty x

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 19:41:10 pm »
For what it's worth, I have read that the longer you can delay the transition to big bed, the easier it is. Developmentally they are more ready at nearer to 3, but for practical reasons that is difficult for many. I think it is to do with, the ability to realise the bed boundaries rather than staying in bed though, so bed rails may well assist with this.

However, I do think that the older they are, the more levers you have to pull on to get them to stay, if they want to wander, ie stickers, toy removal etc! I have been doing PD before Harrison sleeps for months, and he still jumps up at least once before he goes to sleep. Without the cot it would be worse and he certainly doesn't understand the concept of staying put for Mummy! LOL

Not looking forward to moving him, I can tell you!

#Justine

Offline 3under3

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 01:20:34 am »
I have a 3 year old girl and a 20 mth old boy sharing a room because I also have a 4 mth old in her own room. My problem is that they are always getting into on anothers beds or staying up 1 hour+ past their bed time playing!! I have no idea how to rectify this!! Please some one help!!
I'm sorry if this isn't the right place!!