Author Topic: Anyone giving their LOs Tofu?  (Read 1121 times)

tstasko

Anyone giving their LOs Tofu?
« on: June 12, 2006, 01:31:18 am »
I am interested in introducing tofu to my dd.   it is recommended in super baby food - but i only see where she says to put in the super porridge as an extra protein kick....and i don't yet make the porridge.
i don't personally eat tofu  :-[ so don't know if there are other ways to give this to dd?  can i just mash/purree it w/veggies or some fruit?
any feedback much appreciated! ;D
Tari

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Anyone giving their LOs Tofu?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 16:53:12 pm »
I've been working on it, but he's not liking it so far. It doesn't have much flavor on its own, so the trick seems to be to find the right thing to mix it with. Even in the firm form it's still soft enough to mash easily or puree, so give it a shot. Just don't even bother trying to serve it plain.  ;D
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

tstasko

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 17:07:33 pm »
Hi Jessica,
Thanks for the response. :)  I will try it with some fruit then and see how she likes it - I will surely stay away from seving it plain!! ;D
Ok - VERY dim question - but is there any particular type to buy?  Or just look for Tofu and any type will be appropriate for babies?  What kind do you use?
Thank you!!
Tari

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 17:48:30 pm »
Hmmmm.... where I am there's not much to choose from - basically just firm or soft. I tried the firm, but I don't think DS liked the texture so I'm going to give the soft kind a try.

The first time I tried it I cut it up into small pieces and rolled the pieces in cheerio dust - he HATED it! LOL
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

tstasko

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 18:50:32 pm »
LOL ;D
thanks a bunch!
Tari

Offline shilpa

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Shreya 07/12/05, Misha 01/12/07
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 14:07:24 pm »
Hi there,

I too want to introduce tofu to my DD but wasn't sure when to do it (shes 6 months and 1 week old). Its a good high protein meat alternative (we are vegetarian) and is supposed to have alot of iron, potassium and calcium.  The Annabel Karmel recipe book suggests mixing it with banana: 1 small ripe banana + 50g (2 oz) soft tofu.  She also says you can mix it with mango or peaches.

HTH
Shilpa

Offline ashtonsmummy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • mom to Ashton born Oct 24 2005 Burnaby BC
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 16:27:37 pm »
hi i give my lo tofu we have all sorts of flavors here in b.c he loves them they have the consistency  a little stiffer than yogurt. flavors such as banana, coconut and mango plus they are naturally flavored. nice thing is they come in small sizes too. my lo just had to get used to the texture sometimes he makes icky face and i may have to give it to him a couple of times before he realizes he likes it .

my lo is 7.5 and has been eating it since he was 6months

tstasko

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 16:47:07 pm »
thanks for the recipe shilpa!  my dd loves her bannanas, peaches and mangos!  i'm going to try it.   :)

sometimes he makes icky face and i may have to give it to him a couple of times before he realizes he likes it .

LOL! ;D