Author Topic: New to bottles - couple of questions  (Read 774 times)

Offline janelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
New to bottles - couple of questions
« on: June 12, 2006, 08:42:36 am »
Hi!  We are making the change to bottles as ds has not been putting on weight and despite trying to feed more often, he is obviously not getting enough to eat :(  He is 3 months old and I have been feeding him every 3 hours, sometimes a bit less. Should I stick to a 3 hour schudlue now we are going to bottles or will he need to go to 4 hours. If he changes to 4 how do I work this into EASY as he can still only manage 1 to1.5 hours awake time and I am lucky to get a 1 hour nap. (I guess the lastquestion is more suited to the EASY board but if you have any ideas please let me know!)  Also we are using AVENT bottles as I have them from dd - what speed nipple should I be using at 3 months.

Thanks
Liana (6)- 9th January  2004
Liam (4) - 8th March 2006
and my beautiful new bub!

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: New to bottles - couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 09:20:07 am »
You should stick to the 3hr EASY, until 4 months then switch. 

Start with the slow flow teat, if he gets bored of that switch to a medium flow teat. 

With my DD I switched onto the fast flow teat at 4 months (recommend age 6 months), but she got bored with the previous flow teats and would not take the bottle due to her sucking and not getting enough milk.

HTH
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline chicken

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 00:41:37 am »
Janelle, sorry you have to make the switch :(  I would also start with a low flow nipple and work your way up.  Leo is on the 3 month size right now and he started to take it weeks ago, so I would just buy one package of the size 2's (don't waste the $ buying several because he won't be on them for long) and just use those for a week or so until he gets use to it. 

Ella  6/22/02
Leo  3/27/06