Author Topic: Gage is asking for a routine change?  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
Gage is asking for a routine change?
« on: June 12, 2006, 15:41:48 pm »
I know I posted a similar post a few days ago, but we are really struggling. Gage is taking longer and longer to fall asleep during nap time. He ended up blowing a whole nap yesterday, which hasnt happened since arodn 4mths. I thought it may be the tranisition to the sleeping bag, but naps and night sleep where going well. I thought it may be teeth, but no sign of anything. ??? For once, he is actually sleeping through the nght with the exception of being overtired (like yesterday) and eating VERY well (knock on wood).  I have tried putting him to bed early and a little later and STILL 30min-1hr to fall asleep. I cant help, but think he needs a routine change. I dont know what to do.

Can anyone see something I cant?

7:15 wake
7:30 bottle
9:00 solids
10:15is sleep 45 min-1hr

11:00 tippy/bottle
1:00 lunch
2:00 sleep

3:30 wake/bottle
5:00 dinner
7:00 bottle/bed

This is oure old routine, now everythhing is a bit different because of his rotten napping. His A times were 3.0, 3.0-3.5, and 3.0-4.0. Now these times are stretched between 30min-1hr+. He is a lot more mobile now, pulling himself to sitting position and trying to crawl. He is also sleeping in an hour+ later. Could he be ready to transition to one nap? Anyone else experienced this?

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
Re: Gage is asking for a routine change?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 23:30:16 pm »
Hi Alice,

We went through a similar thing a few weeks ago with Catherine taking a long time to fall asleep for her naps especially her PM one. Which nap is he really fighting? Could you push his PM nap out to 2.30pm? I was also putting Catherine down at 2pm and found she wasn't quiet ready then for her nap so we tried 2.30pm with alot more sucess.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 23:38:51 pm »
Hi again. Let's see at 9 months, I think I'd try slightly longer A times. How about putting him down at 10:30 instead of 10:15 and waking him by 11:30. Then try second nap at 2:45 and wake him at 4:00 and bedtime at 7:30 - does that sound like it could work for you?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 00:01:44 am »
Hi ladies, thanks for your response. Marisa's mom, your suggestion is exactly what I did today. The first nap wasnt bad, the second took 40 min and then I gave in and swaddled him. I feel like he is 3mths old again... it is awful! If it is a phase then I will roll wiht the punches, but I am afraid I am missing his needs. I also dont want to keep swaddling him. Tomorrow I will try to putting him to bed early for the first nap in hopes of extending it to avoid overtiredness in the afternoon. Natasha, is Catherine transitioning to one nap yet?

Offline *Natasha*

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 00:36:54 am »
Not yet Alice she isn't ready yet for the long awake time in the AM. I am holding out as long as i can will see how she goes at 12months.

Natasha proud Mum to:

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 09:49:01 am »
Gages Mom

Are you completely unswaddling him?

With my DD I took it slowly with unswaddling her.  Firstly 1 arm out then a week later 2 arms out, so it was just the legs I was wrapping then took the swaddling away about 2 weeks later after both her arms were left out.  She now sleeps in a sleeping bag.

HTH
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline moppiemom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 10:09:49 am »
I've just weened (cold turkey) from swaddling and found that while getting my lo down for night sleep is ok, getting her down for naps is much more difficult. I don't really know why this is, but perhaps this may be part of the problem with your ds. It took several days, but now it's getting easier to put her down for naps (staying down past 45 min is another issue - as this used to go well and is now a bit difficult!)

good luck!
sweet textbook/spirited Madelief, born 10 Dec 2005

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 16:49:09 pm »
Hi again. The unswaddling has been a very long slow process. It has taken prob. about 2 mths. one arm out for all naps then for bed, then both arms out for just naps then bed, the sleeping bag for just naps thhen bed.  It has been VERY slow and difficult. At the beginging of every step his naps bombed, but eventually everything was great then.... well you know. Stacy, Gage already has been taking 45min in the morning and 1.5hr in the evening. I am baffled.

I know it has to be related to the movement though because he is ALL over the place and is STARVING. My child has never been an eater, but he is now! 27-31oz milk and 10-14oz food :o He also has been sleeping through as he is tuckered out. I dont know what the heck is going on. Maybe I will pm Kelly and compare routines. THanks ladies.

Offline *Natasha*

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 00:41:20 am »
Alice that is great that Gage is eating well again. Catherine went through a stage where she didn't want to eat much and now she is back to eating me out of house and home. Very happy about this the only thing is she is lossing interest in her bottles she is down to 2 now. So i make up for it with milk in her cereal, cheese,yoghurt and custard everyday.

Natasha proud Mum to:

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 03:14:51 am »
Well I put Gage down for a nap early and he slept for 30 min! Not tired enough I guess.  ::) His second A time was darn near 4hrs on 30 min from prior nap and he slept 2 hrs with little trouble :o What in the heck is going on??? Also, he insists on having a bedtime of 7-7:30 despite waking from last nap at 5pm. I hope that doesnt come back and bite us ::)

Natasha, Gage ate 32.5oz of formula and 12.5 of solids today  :o :o He would have drank more, but I was afraid he would get a tummy ache. This has been going on all week. If Catherine doesnt want her bottles, will a tippy cup work? Gage doesnt care where it comes from at this point, he will drink it from whereever.