Author Topic: Just starting out - couple of questions  (Read 1280 times)

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
Just starting out - couple of questions
« on: June 12, 2006, 21:11:24 pm »
Just started rice cereal this weekend with my 22 weeks old dd. We gave it to her in a fairly liquidy consistency about 1 hr after the morning bottle. She took maybe a tspn.  Is this right?  When would I add a second 'meal' of cereal? Do I have to wait to introduce the second meal until she takes a couple of Tbsp in the am? Or can I do a evening meal right away of however much she'll take (after her pm bottle of course)?  Also, do I have to go through the grain cereals before starting any other foods, such as sweet potatoes, avocados, bananas, etc? Or can I do maybe one meal of cereal and one of other foods later in the day?  Thanks, confused mom!!!

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: Just starting out - couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 22:34:42 pm »
A teaspoon to begin with is fine. You will probably find over the week she will slowly take a little more until she is taking 1-2tbls. I would wait at least a few weeks to see how she is going on it before starting another meal. I only gave rice cereal for a few days before introducing a fruit/vegetable.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 12:25:05 pm »
Thanks. So just to clarify...I stay with the rice cereal in the am for maybe a week (she seems fine so far) and then add fruits or veggies. Do I add that in the am or have a second meal later in the day?

Offline Mrs. Gravy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 23:33:24 pm »
You can continue with the rice cereal if you wish, or give a fresh fruit or veggie.  Mashed bananas and avocados are great first foods.

Personally, I prefer to start with a "real" food, rather than a processed cereal.  Grains are often difficult for little tummies to digest.

Always nurse/bottle before giving solids.  Solids are not meant to replace milk.  BM should remain the main source of nutrition for the first year.  If you notice she seems to be nursing less or wanting less formula, it's time to ease up on the solids.

A couple tsps a day is should be sufficient.

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 01:27:58 am »
Careful with sweet potatos.  A lot of babes get gassy from them.  Most of the ones I know of just needed to wait a month or so with that particular thing.  Pears are really good to start with.  It's best to do the new food in the mornings in case there is a reaction.  https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=50779.0  Some allergy/ intolerance info for you.  Have fun with the solids, and don't forget to take photos!
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Renee'sMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 15:18:17 pm »
Be careful just giving rice cereal as well...rice can be constipating with babies.  I rotate with oatmeal and I am looking into how I can grind down my quinoa to make a cereal.
Cheryl
London, ON

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 16:53:55 pm »
My health visitor advised to try baby rice and fruit and veg, introducing one at a time several days apart to ensure no reactions.  The only thing I was told was keep him glute free until at least six months.