Author Topic: burping  (Read 801 times)

Offline GKirk

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Carver, Ma, USA
burping
« on: June 13, 2006, 00:47:54 am »
hi my lo is 9 wo and i am just wondering if anyone has any burping techniques that work ?? It seem like either he will burp really good or not burp at all!!
I let him eat until he stops, generally because if i dont he will freak out and not burp! so he eats about 2 oz at a time.. i dont know if that is a problem? Also it seems as if he is alot harder to burp during the DF because he is sleeping.. i feel terrible when i cant get a burp out of him in the middle of the night!!

Offline Lara's Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 09:31:01 am »
in Tracy's first book, she says that babies are so relaxed when they take their DFs that sometimes they don't gulp any air down at all and that if u try for a couple of minutes to burp him and still can't, odds are that there isn't any air going to come out, other than that u should burp ur baby as often as u can, have u tried patting firmly on the back (firmly, like u would do the patting in pat/shsh), rubbing in a circular movement on the left side....and i read this in a parenting magazine; turning ur baby's back to face u and gently cycling his legs...when he stops to burp, does he immediately take the bottle again? if so that's probably for the best, that he burps himself... if he doesn't and seems uninterested after he has burped, i guess u can take out the bottle and try to burp him and then try again, so that he will continue his feed...

HTH

love
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 09:34:14 am by Lara's Mum »
Shahira
Mum to Lara, Born 13/10/05
Spirited Textbook Libran

Offline maisy

• Showing Appreciation 131
Re: burping
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 10:58:24 am »
When my DD was around 9 weeks she started holing onto her wind a bit. My friend suggested a tecnique which sort of teaches the babies to wind themselves.  It really works well for us, I'll try to describe it for you.

I sit DD on my lap, as you would normally to burp them, then I place my thumb under one arm and my middle finger under the other. I place my other hand flat on her back and then simply gently straighten her up, she usually burps straight away and as i am not patting her or anything she is really bringing it up herself.
If she ever has a little bother I just keep her back straight and lean her slightly over her legs and it pops straight out.

I hope this makes sense, let me know if it doesn't and I could try again!!

x x x x
Lee Ann,

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 15:47:08 pm »

William was a very windy baby so a good winding trick I learned was to sit him up on my knee facing to the side (as best as you can sit such a little LO up) and to move the top half of his body in gentle circles first one way and then the other - its hard to describe but it was brilliant!

Also the HV said to hold him up under his shoulders for a few seconds so his body straightens and allows the wind up.

Helen xx

Offline Grace's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 16:15:14 pm »
If we know our lo needs a burp and it won't come out we sometimes lay her down for a second or two then sit her back up and the burp usually comes out a lot easier. 

-Melissa
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/

Offline GKirk

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Carver, Ma, USA
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 18:53:24 pm »
thank you all so much for your help i am going to put your techniques to work! Hopefully i have as much success as you all did, i really appreciate it!!