Author Topic: Hi, new with a question  (Read 1092 times)

Offline razz116

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: June 14, 2006, 00:30:01 am »
Hi, everyone. I just bought the book and finished reading it.  We plan to start implementing E.A.S.Y next week when my DH has the week off so we can get it down pat with all of us.  But I have a question about eating and I didn't find the answer in the book.

My LO is 6 weeks old tomorrow.  We don't have a routine yet, so I can't post that.  He has been eating anywhere from 2-4 hours apart, usally 4-6 ounces per session.  Today I started charting to get an idea of what he currently does and to start activity time.  So far today, it's been

E 9 am
A (tummy time, activity mat, singing with mommy)
S 10ish or so

E Noon (it takes him about 15 minutes to eat 4 ounces)
A (activity mat, tummy time, reading with Mommy to wind down)
S 12:50ish

E 2:40
A (tummy time, walk in stroller, library)
S 4:00

Right now, it's 5:30 where I live and he's still asleep.  I plan to wake him at 6 to eat if he doesn't wake up on his own. 

My question is what do I do if he wakes up hungry before then?  I plan to be flexible, but feeding him more than a half hour early will throw off the routine, I think?  And he won't accept a pacifer if he's hungry.  Once he realizes it's not giving him milk, he spits it right out and begins to cry.  And like most FTM, I can't stand hearing him cry. 

Thanks,
Jen

Offline razz116

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 00:55:23 am »
Another question...how do cluster feeds fit into a routine?  Can someone post a sample routine with clusterfeeds in it, so I can see an example? Thanks!

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
Re: Hi, new with a question
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 01:23:04 am »
Hi there and welcome!  I am not sure which book you have but I have the Solves all your problems book.  On page 25 there is an example of a an easy routine for a 4 week old.  I'll type it out for ya incase you don't have this book:
E 7am
A 745
S 815 Nap 1

E 10a
A 1045
S 1115 Nap 2

E 1pm
A 145
S 215 Nap 3

E 4p
A 445
S 515 Catnap 1 40-50mins

E 6p 1st cluster feed
A 7p bath, pjs, bedtime ritual
S 730p Catnap 2

E 8p 2nd cluster feed
A None
S Put LO right back to bed

E 10-11p Dreamfeed

Ok like I said, that is just an example from the book.  My advice to you is ALWAYS feed a hungry baby!   ;D  He is still really young and you both are figuring out how much and how often to eat.  When Owen was really little I found if he couldn't go the 3 hours he did better with a little more in his bottle, say 1/2 to 1 ounce more.  They are growing SO FAST, and they need all the food they can get to help them!  I think you are doing so GREAT already!  I hope you know that.  I would definitely wake him if it's been three hours and feed him.  If the routine gets a little off, just try and go along with it and always remember tomorrow is a new day!   ;D  Always feed a hungry baby, and put a sleepy one to bed.  Let me know if I can help in anyway.

I am so impressed with you! 

Hugs,
Zoey

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline razz116

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 02:53:58 am »
Thanks.  We seem to be going fine today with almost 3 hour breaks, but I don't know if it'll stay that way.  I have Secrets of the Baby Whisperer.  So, if he wakes up early to eat, at say 9 am instead of 10 am, I continue with the ASY, but then (if he sleeps through), do I wake him up to eat at noon or 1?  Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help!

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 03:27:20 am »
Oh don't be sorry that's what we are all here for!

What I would do is say he wakes at 9am and he is hungry feed him, then do some A time for 30-45mins then wind down, and put him down for S at 1015ish.  He will probably wake to eat again around 12, but if he doesn't - you get him up.  I wouldn't ever let him go more then 3 hours between feeds right now until he is older.  He needs the calories.  So, basically in every 3 hour period you want him to eat, play and sleep and you repeat this all day until evening when you cluster and all that.  If he wakes early at this point, I would just move the times. 

Have you tried to give him more formula at a feeding?  Is he draining the bottle dry? 

Just remember EASY is an idea.  It's not going to be perfect or even the same each day.  Owen is 5 months and each day is a little different, but the idea is the same - Eat, play, sleep.  Keep your log, it will help you figure things out, you will start to see patterns emerging.    Every LO is different, one may need 45 mins of A time, another may need only 30.  It's all ok, so long as you are feeding when he is hungry and get him to bed when he is tried, and you have some play time in between them. 

That's my opinion - hope it helps!

Lemme know if I can help.  I am sure the mods will pop in and give you their expertice, everyone is so helpful and full of great advice and ideas. 

Zoey
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 03:33:10 am by Zoey »

Offline krisdella

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 00:08:56 am »
I also had some of the same questions that no other posts really zoned in on like your's did Zoey...what a help! We have been on EASY street for a few days and doing nicely...although she refuses to dream feed and still will fight her naps at times, but she is an Angel-Textbook, so I've been pretty blessed with a pretty easy going temperment. So glad I found you all here!

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 00:34:08 am »
Krisdella - Im glad you found us, and Im glad I could be helpful!   ;)  You could pop over to the nap board and get some help with naps if you find they are not quite right.  Also, if the DF is giving you trouble, you could make a new thread with your routine.  I am so glad things are going relatively well for you!!  Congrats on your baby and WELCOME!!   ;D

Hugs,
Zoey

Offline Southernbelle

• Showing Appreciation 20
  • Mom to three beautiful kids!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 21:17:32 pm »
Just a hint....both my los at 6 weeks could not stay up the 1.15 that the sample schedule recommends.  It was up and down within an hour at that age.  It took a bit of experimenting to figure out exactly how long they could handle.  Putting down too soon resulted in short naps and waiting too long resulted in no naps because they were too tired.  Also, when I started EASY the most helpful tip I got was to begin the day at the same time everyday.  Even if it means setting an alarm clock.  We started each day between 7am and 7:30.  It really helps babies to organize their days and nights this way.   Even if DD ate at 5:00am, we would get up at 7:30 and offer a bottle and then start the 3hr easy.  Every day at that age is different and has new challenges, but in  a few months they'll have it down....especially if they are textbook/angel babies like my son was.
5 yrs, 3 yrs, 7 months

Offline Andie6294

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Kelsie Ryen
    • Lilypie
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 04:47:56 am »
Well, God bless you all, if you're able to get one so young on an actual E.A.S,Y. routine!  We are curently on the K.E.L.S.I.E. routine!
Benjamin Anthony 6-2-94
Annaliese Brynn 7-18-2003
Kelsie Ryen 3-28-06