Author Topic: Hi, newwith a question  (Read 1135 times)

Offline razz116

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: June 14, 2006, 00:34:49 am »
Hi, everyone. I just bought BW and just finished it yesterday.  We plan to start implementing EASY next week when my DH has a week off, so we can both get our routine down pat.  (He works nights, usually, so our schedule is a bit wacky). 

I have a few sleep questions and I hope I'm posting in the right section. 

First, my LO is 6 weeks old, we do not have a routine yet.  He is not sleeping in his crib. He has a milk case of reflux and sleeping flat on his back bothers him.  He won't side sleep, either.  Right now, he sleeps mostly in his swing (he does not need it on, but he needs the angle of the seat to be comfy) or his carseat.  Sometimes he sleeps on me, but not very much anymore.  Is there a way to make the crib more comfy for him?  How do other people whose babies have reflux deal with this? 

Also, is swaddling necessary?  He hates to be swaddled, but likes having a blanket tucked it around his legs in either his swing or his carseat. 

Thanks,
Jen

Offline nattymarsh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Calleigh from Canada!
Re: Hi, newwith a question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 01:02:27 am »
Hi there.  Your situation sounds very similar to mine, but good for you for realizing that your baby has reflux so early ( I just figured it out about three weeks ago).  You can elevate the crib matress at one end by putting something under it (i.e. books) or you can buy a crib wedge.  This is an angled foam pad that goes under your crib sheet.  My lo also hated to be swaddled, couldn't stand having her arms tucked in, but always wanted a blanket tucked around her legs in the swing. Now that she is in her crib I swaddle her legs from the belly down and this seems to help her stay sleeping.  She used to wake herself up by kicking and pulling her legs up, but wrapping her legs helps to keep them stationary.  These two changes have made a world of difference, she's even sleeping through the night now!

Offline Jacksmom77

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: Hi, newwith a question
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 02:30:48 am »
My ds had, still has I should say, reflux & I was going to suggest angling the crib as well (about 45 degrees). We also got a sleep positioner which I know some people don't like to use (it seemed to help him feel comfy in the big crib once we transitioned)...most importantly - if you do angle the crib, roll up a blanket or towel & prop it under his/her legs so they don't slide down the crib (which my lo use to do all the time & it would end up waking him up!)...hope that helps!

As a side note - what I also found helps with reflux is to keep them upright for about 20 minutes after a feeding if you can (sometimes this is difficult, so really anytime will help).
Brandi

[url=http://lilypie.com]

Offline Southernbelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
  • Mom to three beautiful kids!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 13:19:56 pm »
Hi, My 16 wk old lo has bad reflux and I have thought of getting the Tucker Sling and wedge.  It helps the babies sleep in their cirbs at the right angle.  The sales person who called me back said that some insurance companies cover the cost if the pediatrician recommends it.  I think they have a website.  With my lo, she is on prilosec two times a day, we have her crib propped up a little, but she still spits up in her bed and wakes herself.  I am just worried that at this point she is too used to sleeping wihtout the sling, that it would be a waste of money.  Your lo may be young enough to transition with it to the cirb.  Also, on the EASY routine, he should do a little better because he will have upright activity time before sleep each time.  It helps for babies to not go right down after feedings.  WE have problems because the last feeding for my DD is usually right before bedtime.  I have to sit with her in the rocking chair for about ten mins before I lay her down, or she will cry for hours.  Hope that you can figure out what works for your lo.  There is also a board designed just for colic and reflux problems.  You may want to check it out.  Also, reflux.org was helpful for me!
5 yrs, 3 yrs, 7 months