Author Topic: Why won't she drink?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline ginger

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 14, 2006, 10:06:52 am »
Hi everyone.  My dd is 12 days shy of her first birthday and we have weaned down to one bf per day (first thing in morning).  She has never taken a bottle, so we have used sippy cups for water since about 6 mths.  My problem is she drinks very little of anything throughout the day (4-6 oz maximum) of water, juice or a combination.  She takes sips of cows milk and often spits out the second sip.  She is a great eater - eats loads of fruit, veggies, yogurt, cheese, cereal, breads, etc.  She is also very small (about 16.5 lbs) and always has been.  She sleeps well, 12-13 hrs straight at night, usually two 1-1.5 hr naps.  Is very energetic and happy when awake.  Most daytime diapers are not very heavy, however she averages two bms a day.  Morning diaper is heavier (since she drinks about 4 oz water before bed).
The bottom line is that she eats well, but hardly drinks anything:
1 bf
4-6oz water or juice
sips of milk
Any suggestions???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
I can't even sleep at night I am so concerned.................

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Why won't she drink?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 21:40:53 pm »
Maybe you could try foods that contain more liquid like soups that have more broth, watermelon, smoothies made with fruit and milk/yogurt/ice. Possibly make her cereal with more liquid. I used to lose a little sleep too, but it was about eating :) 
Julie

Offline ginger

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 03:56:42 am »
thanks for all of the great suggestions! i will try the smoothie tomorrow! :D

Offline ~Faye~

• A TRUE FRIEND IS SOMEONE WHO SEES THE PAIN IN YOUR EYES WHILE EVERYONE ELSE BELIEVES THE FAKE SMILE .
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 369
  • If life hands you lemons ask for tequila and salt!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 10:04:26 am »
Ginger I don't really have any suggestions as DS has been the same til recently. But he just started drinking more by himself, I didn't do anything. Sorry. I just wanted to send you
 BIG BIG {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Faye :-*
Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy
http://postnatalillness.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 15:31:04 pm »
What we did was to make Ewan's sippy available to him at all times.  We got insulated ones and he eventually jsut started to drink more on his own. 

Offline ginger

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 16:40:01 pm »
Thanks for the responses and the big hugs!  It's nice to know that my dd is not the only one who has done this.  She is drinking a little bit more, but nowhere near what most babies drink.

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 16:43:29 pm »
{{{{HUGS}}}}

I was really worried about it as well but my doc also assured me that Ewan was getting fluid from his food as well.  Jsut keep trying and it will work out.

Offline Nancyella

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Sunshine of my life
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 09:29:15 am »
Hi Just wanted to say  I felt EXACTLY the same way about how little Ella drank per day, and would just like to let you know that it must be a phase, as she is slowly drinking more and more. So try not to worry about it. As long as they are not constipated then, they must be consuming enough liquid !?

Take care..
N

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 19:00:31 pm »
My son started to drink alot more when I got rid of the sippy cup and gave him a proper cup with a straw. The novelty seemed to inspire him! (I got rid of the sippy cup because I had a slurp out of it one day and it tasted plasticy and disgusting!)

may have been a coincidence....

Offline LizzieW

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 10:44:59 am »
Hello, I just wanted to add some reassurance. It was a real struggle to get my son (now 14 months) to drink enough until recently. However, although he sometimes got constipated he seemed happy, ate well, slept through the night etc so people kept telling me he must have been getting enough. A couple of times he was ill he suddenly started drinking gallons - it was reassuring to see he would drink more when his body told him to. (I also noted that adult vary hugely in their fluid intake - for example I drink a couple of litres of water a day and feel ill if I don't, whilst my husband happily survives on 2 or 3 cups of black coffee with no ill effect - so maybe needs of toddlers differ too).

When  he hit 13 months it was all change. He refused a bottle and we found a sippy cup he liked (after several different ones) and suddenly he was drinking large quantities of cows milk at regualr intervals. We also give him water with his lunch too. I know all babies are different but I think for him it was partly an independence issue, he likes to hold the handles and be in control. We took to leaving sippy cups of water on low tables and shelves for him to find and help himself to. Unfortunately, after being a dream eater he now has lost interest in food and fussiness and tantrums in  the highchair are frequent! But hey, he is drinking!

Hope this reassures you to some extent. Its so easy to agonise over it and then the little so-and-so decides to solve the problem themselves, when they feel like it.