Author Topic: Ready for 4-hour EASY?  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Finns mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Re: Ready for 4-hour EASY?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 23:58:55 pm »
Well, 2 days into 4-hour EASY, and it's a definite improvement. Sadly, we still have the 45 minute nap problem, but I'm hoping maybe that will disappear once we get settled into it? As it is, he's still getting more sleep than he was before because his first nap (which he still sleeps through without waking) is now 2 hours instead of 1.5. Plus as his last nap is now only supposed to be a catnap anyway, it doesn't matter when he wakes, so it's only one nap I need to work on. More importantly though, changing his schedule has meant he isn't awake so long before bedtime and isn't so tired when I put him down - and so far has settled straightaway! Believe me, if nothing else improves, that alone is worth the change! As for the feeding, he is starting to take slightly longer feeds again. He doesn't seem remotely bothered by moving to 4-hour feeds, and still doesn't seem particularly hungry, but he's putting weight on healthily, so I guess that's just the way he is. As for the 45 minute naps, I will keep trying w2s, but must admit I've not had any success so far. When he woke today, I spent about half an hour keeping going back in and trying to settle him down before I eventually gave in and got him up. Am wondering if it might be worth getting him up straightaway if he wakes, giving him half an hour of A time and then trying to put him down for another nap before his next feed. What do you think? I don't want to reinforce his 45 minute waking, but I also want to do anything to get him that extra sleep, cos he really needs it!

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 00:32:50 am »
Finns mum-I believe the 45 minute nap problem creeps up due to developmental changes with the lo, but also when there is a need to tweak the A time.  What is his current routine since you've changed to 4-hr?
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Finns mum

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 05:46:23 am »
This is it (in theory!):
E: 7.30
A: 8.00
S: 9.30
E: 11.30
A: 12.00
S: 1.30 (this is usually 45 mins, ending up with A time before next E)
E: 3.30
A: 4.00
S: 5.00 (catnap, then A)
Bath, wind-down: 6.00
E: 6.30
S: 7.00
DF: 10/11.00
He then sleeps through til morning, occsionally waking but just needing settling.

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 17:32:54 pm »
Well, here are some things you could consider:
-shorten the first nap to 1.5 hrs; lots of lo's can do a great am nap b/c they've come off a good night's sleep
-lessen the A time between the first nap and second nap by 15-30 mins
-the more I think about this, it is kind of hard for most 2 mo olds to go on 3 naps, so you might need a cycle with 2 naps in it, probably in the late afternoon

Gosh, I guess I didn't end up being much help.  It's great that he's sleeping so well at night, but if he's grumpy during the day, we definitely need to work on his naps.  Is he content or fussy during the day?
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Finns mum

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 23:06:49 pm »
He starts off the day content, but once he's had that first 45 minute nap in the afternoon he starts to get tired which makes him a bit fussy. He's not too bad, but he needs constant attention at this point to keep him happy. Today we had lots of errands to do and were out during his 2nd A & S time. He ended up sleeping for a lot of it (he varies when we're out, sometimes the motion sends him to sleep, sometimes it doesn't!), and the difference in his mood was obvious. In fact, we went to a friend's house where he's not been and put him down in his new travel cot both for his final cat-nap and actually to bed, and he went down really easily - I was amazed!
My one worry about shortening the first S time to 1.5 hours is that was what he was getting before, and one of the advantages at the moment of the 4-hour EASY is that extra half hour sleep. Obviously, it would be nicer of course if he had that later in the day...!
Guess there's no easy answer, but I will try shortening that 2nd A time and see what happens!

Offline Jodi and her boys

• California Mom of a California Dude!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • My Blondey
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2006, 19:55:51 pm »
Esther,  I just wanted you to know that all of a sudden, everything clicked with Carter!  He is now on a 4-hour EASY and doing so much better.  He even sleeps through the 45 min mark most of the time!  I haven't needed to shh/ pat him. We just do our wind-down ritual, and down he goes.  I leave him "talking" himself to sleep.  He also takes a longer feeding.  Thanks for your advice. He is doing great now (and started sleeping through the night!!!). 

Jodi

Offline Finns mum

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 21:09:04 pm »
Congrats Jodi, wish I could say the same about the 45 min nap for Finn! Still, the feeds are much better now, and everything else is clicking more into place, so hopefully we're getting there!

Offline renollem

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 02:21:24 am »
I'm curious to hear how it's going with the switch to a 4 hr EASY.

My 13 week old has over the past two weeks lost her naps to the 45 min syndrome.  I just found this website today and have been going crazy trying to figure it out.  She sleeps well at night, and I've been terrified that will be the next to go. 

I read and reread the BW books for any clues.  I started wondering if my not even 3 month old was ready for a 4 hr EASY.  She was 7 lb 11 oz at birth and 10 lb 13 oz at 7 weeks.  So maybe?

I thought maybe she started shortening her naps because she was ready for 4 hour and was keeping her on the 3 hr.  She rarely demands her food because I've been so strict in following the 3 hr.  I'm breastfeeding so it's hard to tell how much she's taking in.  But from all I'm reading on the message board many kids go through this 45 min nap syndrome.  She's fabulous at night and as been for a while ( giving us 7- 10 hr night with a wake for food once.)  Maybe she's just been working on night time sleep and the day got mixed up.

I have a 2 yr old too and I'm going crazy trying to extend naps. (not to mention the bouts of accidental parenting I've been trying to correct).  I'm strictly using shh-pat and swaddling for bed now. It's not working well. 

Do I work at keeping her on a 3 hour routine or do I try for the 4 hour?  She seems to be tired after 1hr or 1 1/2 hrs... maybe that's just what she's used to, but I'm not sure she could make it 2 hrs awake time.  It would be great to have her on a 4 hr though then the 2 kids would nap at the same time in the afternoon...

Offline Jodi and her boys

• California Mom of a California Dude!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • My Blondey
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2006, 20:31:43 pm »
It sounds like she is ready, due to not being hungry at the 3-hr mark and waking up at the 45 min mark.  I did the same thing to my son at 14 weeks and it has worked like a charm.  He would go down earlier than 2 hrs if he had the choice, but he takes great 2 hr naps now by stretching that time.  He hasn't seemed to notice the change in feedings, except for the 7pm feed. By then he is both a little tired and cranky and ready to eat around 6:30.  I say try it if she isn't napping.  I did it cold turkey, but you may want to follow the two week plan.  Good luck!