Author Topic: 6 month old HELP!  (Read 1119 times)

Offline squalls

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 14, 2006, 15:56:20 pm »
Hi, I have a 6 mo old DD who we are having TONS of issues with right now.  2 months ago, we went from a PERFECT 4 hour EASY (2 hr A, 2 hr nap) to the dreaded 45 min intruder.  She also slept through the night 8pm-7am for a month (3-4 months old).  When the nap problems began, of course, her nighttime sleep became interrupted as well (waking as much as 4 times in the night).  I dealt with it as a sleep problem for 1 week, only after realizing my milk supply had decreased did I realize it was a growth spurt and she was really hungry.  We got through that but with naps still short 30min-1hr.  She goes down perfectly for naps....I lay her down awake,  puts herself to sleep within 5 min.  At night, I could always pop in the paci (dummy) and she would go right back to sleep.  The past 2 weeks, she has been waking in the night more frequently.  I had a huge cancer scare (had a tumor on my ovary) and had surgery a week ago to remove the ovary and fallopian tube so my Mom has been here for a week (went home Mon.).  I know there has been a ton of change and stress due to this so some of the problems we have right now could be due to this.  However, she is teething (bottom 2 coming in) and the past week, she has been waking every hour in the night!  It has been MISERABLE.  I have tried everything.  She won't take the paci.  If I PU/PD she cries even harder.  The shhh/pat has never worked.  She just looks up at me and smiles and then when I stop starts crying so hard again.  For naps, she is impossible to get down as well.  She is up on hands and knees rocking, crying, moaning and her teeth are bothering her too.  Today it took 1hr 45 min for her to finally go to sleep.  I am just at the end of my rope.  I have no clue how to help.  Also, I she was exclusively breastfed until all these problems with my ovary and the milk became sour/infected.  I was told to go to formula and the transition went rather well.  I also started her on solids during the growth spurt and she takes solids 3 times a day for the past month (cereal and pears).  She now refusing solids as well.  Any help would be SO deeply appreciated I cannot even say....
How old is your child? 6 months, 1 week
What’s his/her daily routine?
E-7:00am
A-7-9:30am (solids 8:00am)
S- 9:30-10:30am
E-11:00am
A-11-1pm (solids 12pm)
S-1-2:30/3PM (solids 4:30/5pm)
6:30-Bath
7:00- Bottle/Bedtime
What’s nap routine? take in room, turn on fan/white noise and put in crib
How long are naps? vary...shorter am nap.  Anywhere from 30 min-1hr.  Longer afternoon nap....1 hr to 2 hrs
What's bedtime routine? Time? bath, massage and jammies, bottle, bed. usually between 6:30-7pm.
Do you bottle or breastfed?? bottle
How much? or how long?  6-8 oz.
How many wakes per night? she is waking every hour or less.
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? very upset. sometimes settles quickly with a pat and the paci, other times is inconsolable.
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? crying frantically - screaming at top intensity. off and on cry and gets more intense as she gets more tired
What have you tried to settle?? shh/pat, pu/pd, and pacifier
What do you do for A time and how long is it? Exersaucer, Playgym, out for walks or errands, singing, swing, etc. 2-2.5 hrs
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? teething, crawling
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) yes.  Introduced 1 time a day.  2 Tablespoons rice cereal.  Now takes 2 T. of oatmeal in am, 1 T of oatmeal lunch and 2 T. rice at dinner
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? pacifier
Do they have a lovie? yes (just started)
THANK  YOU SO MUCH!

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
Re: 6 month old HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 22:44:37 pm »
I read this and just wanted to send HUGS to you.....not sure that I have any advice as it sounds like you have SO much going on at one time. 

Maybe you could take things one step at a time - like naps, then wakings, then food strategies.

Sorry that I don't have any real advice, just wanted to let you know that you have support. ;D
Dana - mom to Dante James, born January 4, 2006 and Gianni Joseph born September 28, 2007!!!

Offline squalls

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 17:53:50 pm »
Thank you SO much for the encouragment.  This too shall pass....

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 18:15:45 pm »
Hi Squalls, I am so sorry to hear that you are having such a tough go of it right now! But don't worry, it's not hopeless!  :-*

You and lo certainly have a lot going on right now. I just posted to someone else that the 6 month mark is really tough for sleeping. They have a lot going on at a that point, plus a huge growth spurt. At 6 mo, my DS was also a sleeping nightmare (haha), awake every hour or so.  ::)  :(   I think you have a number of things going on, all of which are contributing to the wakings. For one thing, lo has likely picked up on your stress and anxiety from your medical issue (so sorry  :-\ ) so she very well could be feeling stressed as well. Plus, the teething and crawling attempts are also definitely contributors. What have you been doing for the teething? Motrin is a beautiful thing and lasts longer than Tylenol. If you give her tons and tons of time during the day to practice crawling then that should make her less interested in doing it at night in the crib, so definitely give that a shot. She is probably refusing the solids because of the teething. I wouldn't worry much about that or push it on her, she will get back to the solids when her gums don't hurt so much.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline squalls

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 23:59:30 pm »
Colin Macs Mom,
Thank you SO much.  Great suggestions.  I have been switching between Motrin and Tylenol but things seem much better today.  I will definitely try to let her practice crawling more.  That is a great idea.  She slept so much better last night.  She woke up at 5am as usual to start chatting and she has found a lovie (a little bunny with a silk blanket attached) and I just slipped it under her arm and she fell RIGHT back to sleep.  I am just praying things continue to get better.  I so appreciate you taking the time to answer my post!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 00:12:15 am »
Glad to hear that things have gotten better, at least for one night but hopefully more permanently!! Having a lovie ought to help too.  :)  I can really relate to the developmental thing right now - DS has just recently gotten the hang of getting into sitting from laying down and also pulling up to standing on his own. So, all he wants to do, EVER, is practice both of those. Even in the bath. And at 2:30am yesterday guess who was standing in his crib with a big grin?  ::)
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline wiggleworm

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Our spirited Wiggleworm!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 00:28:15 am »
So sorry to hear about your Lo, mine is in the same situation 6 months and 1 week too! Anyway, my sister-in-law has been doing the wake to sleep method and it has really been working well for her naps?
That is my only suggestion!
Good Luck