Author Topic: waking earlier for night feeding  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Kyles_mommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • DS Kyle
waking earlier for night feeding
« on: June 14, 2006, 16:22:42 pm »
Hi Ladies,

Ok, My lo went from wakeing at 4am for a feeding to waking at 2am.  Here's the story.....   The dream feed didn't work with m son who is now 11 weeks old.  I will post my EASY but he goes to bed and is asleep by 7pm and he never woke up until 4m then between 7-8 for the day.  So I took those ozs and incorporated them into the day time bottles thinking I could skip that bottle, but once I did that he started waking at 2am for a feeding and still taking a full feed.  Please let me know what you think....  He is on the 4 hour EASY. (before I moved up the ozs he was taking 5 - 6oz bottles a day) 30 oz

7am - 8oz
8 - nap 2 1/2 - 3 hours
11 - 7 oz
12 - nap 2 1/2 - 3 hours
3 - 7oz
4:30 - nap 1 hour
6:15 - bath
6:30 - 8oz
6:45 - bed asleep by 7pm

waking at 2pm for a full bottle (6oz)   so he went from 30 oz  a day to 36oz a day....

I love being a Mom!!!

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: waking earlier for night feeding
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 20:14:43 pm »
your lo could be getting the 3 month growth spurt early or is just growing and needs more nourishment on a daily basis. there is nothing wrong with that :) if your lo is only waking once a night for a feeding that is FABULOUS!! he is doing very very well :) keep doing what you are doing and do keep in mind that waking once or twice a night at this age is totally normal. keep up the great work  ;D
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Kyles_mommy

• Showing Appreciation 1
  • DS Kyle
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 01:04:51 am »
thanks TeeZee,  I know I have an angel baby, I thought itmight be a growth spurt, but I wasn't suer if I was soing the right things to keep up to it, but he seems to be doing well and happy with the extra food.  Thanks again

Leigh
I love being a Mom!!!

Offline avery's momma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 02:34:46 am »
can i jump in too??
avery just turned 3 mo this week, and for the past 2 weeks has been sleeping without a feeding (no df either) from bedtime til 10-12 hrs later. last night and tonight, she has woken up about 3-3.5 hrs after i put her to bed.. seemingly hungry.. last night i fed her and she didn't go back to sleep.. she just talked to herself and wiggled around. then she was hungry again at 12:40 am (she had been awake that whole time.. not crying, just awake.. i kept waiting for her to put herslef back to sleep but she didn't.. until after the 12:40 feed)
we are on a 3 hr easy (but she has not had good naps today or yesterday).. maybe that is the prob??
any ideas? :) thanks!

Offline teezee

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 03:13:26 am »
it could be overtiredness. good sleep begets good sleep. post your routine and we'll have a look for you!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline samijoe

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 20:08:10 pm »
Hi, I am also an "Avery's" momma...my little girl is 13 weeks and 2 days.
It seems to me that a growth spurt is what it is.  Having just been thru it, my boobs were taken hostage for a good four days!!  The three month growth spurt hit me so hard it will be interesting to see if I can keep up to the next one.  Avery's routine went right out the window---nap time--ha, what's that!!?  Sleeping through the night....which she had been doing for weeks, no longer!
Kyle's mommy....it seems like you are doing all the correct things and observing your child.  I would continue to monitor things with the routine over the next few days....probably once the growth spurt ends, he will not continue to wake a 2am.  Just as long as he is good and full the way he was before!  I wouldn't worry too much that this will become habit forming...
Good luck--maybe in a few days you will have all of the answers....or, even more questions!!  I guess that is the way mommyhood is!

Offline Kyles_mommy

• Showing Appreciation 1
  • DS Kyle
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 20:23:29 pm »
hi all,  thanks for the advice.  Kyle woke up at 1:30am last night.  maybe during this growth spurt I should have re introduced the DF.  Oh well I think it is almost over.  Today's routine went out the window as we had a comunity meeting right between a nap and lunch, but he weathered it well.  But the afternoon he napped way to long and didn't eat his 3pm feeding until 4:30 which will make his bedtime go a bit later, but he didn't have much of a morning nap (only 1 hour) so I thought it was better that he slept.  Anyway I will keep you all posted...

Leigh & Kyle
I love being a Mom!!!

Offline avery's momma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 21:33:00 pm »
naps.. what are naps mommie? that's avery's phrase of the day.. poor girl.. simply will not sleep.. tried everything.. she has been awake for almost 5 hrs now (minus a 45 min catnap on my chest in the rocker.. i know i know.. i shouldn't have, but i was thinking sleep begets sleep) i am hoping she will nap for at least 30 mins now so i can bathe her and put her down for an early bedtime. i am thinking this is a growth spurt (or at least i am hoping it is!!  :o) .. other "avery's momma." (fun name btw ;) ) when it was over did avery just kick back into her normal routine?? did you give her any tylenol ? (i have heard that their legs hurt when they go through gs) anyway.. just trying to hang in here. and drink lots of water and eat to keep my supply up.. (you're right.. she does want to eat all the time.. and not sleep.. but i do remember looking back on things that right before this started, she was wanting to sleep all the time and not eat.. maybe she was preparing herself for the lack of sleep..)
i will post yesterdays' routine..
E 8:10
A 8:25-8:58
S 8:58-10:00 woke up, sucked thumb.. tried to fall back to sleep.. at 10:25 i cuddled her a bit.. put her down. she cried harder

E 10:38
A 10:55-11:18 (fussy)
S 11:18-1:55

E 1:58
A 2:15-3:28 (was at grocery.. she started fussing at 3! SLOW cashier... :( )
S 3:28- 4:30

E 4:38
A 4:48-5:05
S 5:05-5:15
   5:15-5:35 looked at her hands
A - bath (i decided she wasn't going to nap..i'd try bedtime)
E (some- arching back)
S 6:10 in bed, calm..
E 9:45pm (acrhing back)...gave gas drops
S 9:57 sucking hands in bed... didn't go back to sleep
E 11:11 arching.. i fed her standing up..
S 11:40 in bed
E 6:39 am(started the day)

hope someone can help !! i feel like i am going crazy.. and so is avery :(

Offline teezee

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 04:07:08 am »
avery's momma - do you bf or ff? could it be something in your diet that is giving lo gas?? or could it be reflux..even if mild it could really affect lo's eating, sleeping and wakings..does your lo cry alot? at the night wakings - how is she when you go to her? i know before my lo was diagnosed with reflux she would only sleep on someone's shoulder or chest as upright was more comfortable to keep the acid's in place..have you tried raising the crib mattress at the head of the crib? maybe you want to check out the reflux board to see if there are any other signs that you see?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline samijoe

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 16:22:21 pm »
avery's momma: to answer your question, no, I did not give tylenol during the growth spurt.  though, i never really felt the need to...she didn't seem to complain of anything except hunger.   Avery did not just kick back into her normal routine.  unfortunately that was my fault i think.  i went back to the 3 hour EASY, and spent 4 or 5 nights with continuous night wakings.  i also noticed that she wasn't settling for naps quite so easily anymore (doesn't need as much sleep).  i was gonna do the 15 day transition suggested in Tracy's book (for 3 to 4 hour), but opted for the cold turkey approach.  it worked fabulously!  and, i guess that is what she was trying to tell me.  the extra activity time she was actually able to accomplish (to my surprise) and with only two naps (at 2 hours each) plus the catnap (around 5pm)...she was more than ready for bed at 7/7:15pm!  now, i can expect Avery to sleep till 7am every day! (crossing my fingers after saying that!)  A question for you or anyone who may know: does the arching of the back you speak of imply only that it is gas....or could it be something else?  maybe the mattress...hmm...also, gripe water works like magic!  it has worked for many many years!!  good luck!