Author Topic: Help with some 4/EASY tweaking, please??  (Read 1007 times)

Offline robynfuller

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • South Africa
Help with some 4/EASY tweaking, please??
« on: June 14, 2006, 20:41:55 pm »
Hi,

My DD has just gotten over the flu and hopefully her 6 month growth spurt, which lasted about 3-4 days. Whislt ill I fed her every 2-3 hours during the day. and twice at night when she woke (she is EBF). Now I am suffering the consequences of my actions. She falls asleep independantly for naps and nighttime, we have a winddown ritul and bathtime routine. Her naps are about 1 1/2 - 2 hours each.
here's todays routine: (usually change and adapt to wake up times)

5am wake & bf 20mins - straight back to sleep (treat it as a nightwaking - no play just feed)
7am wake & play with dad
E - 8am bf 20mins
A
S - 9 - 11:00 (mostly 2 hours sometimes 1 1/2 hours)
E - 11:50 bf 30 min
A
S - 13:05 - 14:45
A
E - 16:16 bf 30 min
18:30 Bathtime routine
E - 18:50 bf 25 min
S - 19:30

She has basically moved herself to a 4 hour routine, no real effort on my part. She has hit developemental milestones: rolling front to back and vice versa. and can almost sit un-aided. I think she is teething, still has snotty nose, gums red, I am sure I can see teeth under gums - really enjoys biting her teething rings and fingers, her stools which are normally about 3-4 good ones a day, have now for the past 2 days been about 1-2 good ones or much less than before, she has recently had nightwakings too. Her awake times are usually 2 hours.
I wanted to start solids at 6 months but due to her flu (which I hope is over) and snotty nose (which may be due to teething) I have waited so as not to create further problems - reactions to introducing food types etc.

My Questions

1. How do I eliminate the 5am wake & feed? I have been thinking of w2s but havent tried with this waking yet as I dont do df and thought she may really be hungry as her feed is 20min (I do usually cluster feed - but 4 hour easy has kinda changed this)

2. I seem to be feeding at least an hour after she is awake - how do I get the feeds to coincide with her wake from sleep? - as I seem to feed sometimes too close to her sleep

3. She has been having nightwakings but erratic ones - possibly growth spurt related - and I treated them as such - am I correct in doing this - feeding?

4. Due to her getting more aware of her surroundings I now have to feed her lying down on a bed in a dark room - she drinks more this way and is much more relaxed - although her nose does get stuffy - if I hold her whilst sitting she tends to bite and pull. Not very pleasant as her gums are getting stronger? Any suggestions????

5. Due to her flu and increased feeding my breasts are fuller (in the am)  where before I would double side feed, now in the morning I only need to single side feed - if she still hungry I do offer the other side even if it is for another 10 minutes or so, could this cause problems???

6. And finally the night wakings or early monring wakings should I say, which are erratic (sometimes 2, 4, 4:30 am) except for the 5am wake and feed, which she has always done

7. Is she ready for 3 - 2 naps or do I shorten the second nap to 1 hour and make a catnap between 16:00-17:00 - which we used to have, but the past 2 days these have been lost??? cant seem to get her tired enough for this nap but yet come bathtime and she is very tired, no crying just fussy

I have Tracys first 2 books (only got them recently and love them) Just need some advice from the ladies as I feel I am not quite sure where to start and how to even out our easy, or whether she is teething or not, just really confused at the moment. I guess I cant really complain - she falls asleep independantly and moved herself to 4 hour easy - its just the kinks that need ironing out, I feel I am all over the show - sometimes feeds are closer, sometimes she would nap longer - but I try to not let her nap longer than 2 hours during the day. If you need more info let me know I would be happy if I have left something out.

Please some guidance/suggestions/advice would really be appreciated.
Robyn

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: Help with some 4/EASY tweaking, please??
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 09:06:30 am »
Quote (selected)
1. How do I eliminate the 5am wake & feed? I have been thinking of w2s but havent tried with this waking yet as I dont do df and thought she may really be hungry as her feed is 20min (I do usually cluster feed - but 4 hour easy has kinda changed this)

Is she taking a full feed? If yes, she is hungry at this time. She will drop this feed in time.

Quote (selected)
2. I seem to be feeding at least an hour after she is awake - how do I get the feeds to coincide with her wake from sleep? - as I seem to feed sometimes too close to her sleep

What I did with my DD, just let have 15mins play and then feed her, as when you start solids you will want to do about 45mins-1hr after her milk.

Quote (selected)
3. She has been having nightwakings but erratic ones - possibly growth spurt related - and I treated them as such - am I correct in doing this - feeding?

Yes you are correct.  But also she has just gotten over the flu, so she needs more calories to get her strength up again.

Quote (selected)
4. Due to her getting more aware of her surroundings I now have to feed her lying down on a bed in a dark room - she drinks more this way and is much more relaxed - although her nose does get stuffy - if I hold her whilst sitting she tends to bite and pull. Not very pleasant as her gums are getting stronger? Any suggestions?

I haven't any suggestions, but when my DD hit 5months, she no longer liked to be held whilst feeding (bottle fed), so I just propped her on a pillow or cushion to feed her.

I do not have the answer to question 5, as I unfortunately could not breastfeed.  Try posting this question in the breastfeeding forum.

Quote (selected)
6. And finally the night wakings or early monring wakings should I say, which are erratic (sometimes 2, 4, 4:30 am) except for the 5am wake and feed, which she has always done

I would say feed her as she has just gotten over the flu to increase her calories.  I notice she is up from around 2.45pm until 7.30pm, she is probably overtired and as a result nightwakings.  Try to put a catnap somewhere around 5pm for 30mins just to get her to bedtime.  If she refuses to have this nap, put her to bed earlier.

Quote (selected)
7. Is she ready for 3 - 2 naps or do I shorten the second nap to 1 hour and make a catnap between 16:00-17:00 - which we used to have, but the past 2 days these have been lost??? cant seem to get her tired enough for this nap but yet come bathtime and she is very tired, no crying just fussy

See above.  Most babies drop the catnap around about 6-7months, so you could be on this road.  Try to get her to sleep for about 30mins.  Some days she will and other days she will not, the days she doesn't have a catnap, put her to bed earlier to compensate.

HTH

Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline robynfuller

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • South Africa
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 17:40:15 pm »
Thank you Corrina,
Its just Murphys law, I promise, Itook a few days before writing post. And to my utter surprise the day after the post she has organised her whole routine by herself, with a bit of help from me.
This is what today looked like, hope I dont jinx it  ;D

NO night wakings last night
6:00AM wake
E - 6:10 for 20 min (back in crib to babble till 7 - then play with dad)
A
S - 8:25 - 9:45 (let her babble to herself till 10:00)
E - 10:00 (25 min)
A
S - 12:22 - 14:10
E - 14:12 (20 min)
A
S - 16:09 - 16:49
E - 17:00 (10 min - cluster feed)
A - 18:30 bathtime routine
E - 18:57 (25 min)
S - 19:25

What an angel, I can barely believe it even as I am typing this  ??? Not a complaint though I am ecstatic. I think If she wakes at 6 again I would like to keep that awake time as it makes time in the day for a catnap between 16:00-17:00 which she does really need - until she drops that herself. And the awake time of 6am I think for now I am very pleased - maybe in time she will gradually increase that to 7am aswell. I also only did single side feeding today and she seems to be getting enough to last her. I cant begin to explain how proud I am of her - slightly snotty nose and all. I finally have the EASY  ;D  :o  ;D I treated myself to a dvd today too and it was smooth sailing.
Just wanted to say thank you for your time and input.
Until the next time
Regards
Robyn

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 18:07:23 pm »
Good for you, I am pleased  ;D  Lets hope she keeps on this routine for a few weeks.  Just for info, my DD dropped the catnap at 81/2 months, later than expected, but it was so good  ;)
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline robynfuller

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • South Africa
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 19:09:00 pm »
Holding thumbs, I just recently got tracys 2nd book and it is so true, just when you think you have it it changes and so on and so on. Does keep life interesting though  ;D