Author Topic: Bathing question...  (Read 1809 times)

Offline cam621

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Bathing question...
« on: June 01, 2006, 19:08:52 pm »
NOt so sure if this is the correct place to post, so feel free to move this topic if necessary.  Anyway, I am totally embarassed to admit this, but I still bathe my 11mo dd in an infant tub.  I have tried switching her to the inflatable tub that fits in your bath so it isn't such a dramatic change, but my dd did not go for it at all, and screamed.  She was pertified.  So that scared me off from trying it again.  Any advice on how to handle this?

Also, another VERY stupid question:  how would you rinse your lo's hair if they are sitting up?  WOn't the water just fall in their eyes?  Also, do you rinse with the bath water or keep the water running for fresh water?  I know these are really silly questions and you would think I would know this stuff by now, but for some reason it is boggling my mind :) 

Offline Lola

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
  • Missy M's Mama
Re: Bathing question...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 19:18:09 pm »
NOt sure how helpful i will be but I will tell you i often still bathe with my lo. We both think its grand to play together and then it's ok if mommy gets wet LOL. Try that maybe to get used to it with her...then you can stop going in?
My LO is 8+ months old and I have been dumping water over her head since little so she would get used to it. SHe just shakes her head like a dog and carrys on eating all the toys :)
I use a cup as well and put her on my lap or across my arm on her back so her head is tilted and slowly pour the water over her head. I keep a cloth close by for any drips into the eyes if she gets upset. Tear free of course..
I use bath water or fresh if its running. She doesn't have loads of hair  ;D
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 13:04:26 pm »
If she's not used to the big tub, I would definitely get in there with her the first few times.  If she really resists, you could get in first and show her what a great time you're having.  Maybe a mat or something for the tub bottom so she doesn't slip and get scared.

As for hair, I lean my DD back and just pour the water over her head.  She's used to it by now and sometimes I dump it over her head when she's sitting up just so she becomes accustomed to that as well.  She doesn't seem to mind -- a lot of it is in your reaction anyway (just as in everything else) so if you look at her afterwards and smile and laugh (unless of course she needs comfort from you) she'll get used to it and think it's ok.  Oh and I use the bath water to rinse her hair -- she's not that dirty yet so the water doesn't get too dirty. 

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 19:26:27 pm »
Dh baths ds, and has just introduced him to the shower. He has taught him to close his eyes (playing in general) and now when he pours water over his head he tells him to "close eyes tight"!! Ds thinks it's a great game.

He got him used to the shower by getting in with him first, then he stands on the outsied and rinses him down. We have put a gripper mat in the bottom as the slippy floor bother him to begin with!

Offline Asher's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 22:48:10 pm »
My baby is younger but he is big for his age. We are always having to change bathing set ups because he is getting stronger.
Like the others said, I find bathing with him is great for transitioning. My baby seems to like things quieter in the bathroom, maybe due to the echo of the tub. I can't run the water, it is too loud and makes him cry, same if  I get to talking, singing, or laughing too loud. However, some say leaving the water running sooths their baby during a bath. I have a water bottle that I put fresh water in while I'm filling the tub. I use that to rinse his head. I keep a dry towel to wipe the water from his eyes immediately afterwards. He has been okay with that.
Do you put the baby tub inside the bath tub? You probably do but just thought I would ask. It would make bathing in the big tub an easier transition. Also, I don't see why it would hurt anything if you bathed your baby in the baby tub until she got too big and then you can make it like a graduation into the big tub. Talk about how exciting it will be to bathe in the big tub when it is time. You can also show your baby that there is more room to play in the big tub. 
Annette

Offline 2luvies

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 15:53:42 pm »
I bathe my 1 yr old little Miss in a laundry basket. I found one small enough for her petite size. Just make sure you put non-slippery pads underneath basket. Inside of basket you could lay a towel for her to sit on, so your little one doesn't slip. As far as water getting in her eyes I to have the same problem she doesn't like it. I've been trying to find a visor. They used to make plastic visors for bath time. I haven't been able to find them though. I would even settle for those cheap foam visors.

Good luck to a squeaky clean baby. ;)

Mom of 2 luvies, Ariana 9 yr old & Maiya 1 yr old.

Offline MomToMatthew

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 02:18:20 am »
About the hair rinsing...Have you seen the catalogue One Step Ahead? They sell a pictcher that is shaped to lay flush with the child's head so you can pour water without it going into their eyes.

Offline Julian2006

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 03:36:24 am »
How about the kitchen sink?  I know that is what my parents did.  Uses far less water than filling the bathtub, and if you have a faucet with a removable head you could use it to rinse with clean water!

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 03:54:44 am »
I am a big supporter of bathing with your LO. My DP and I take turns doing so with our LO. It really helps her comfort level. As she is getting more active we'll probably have to stop, but I must admit that I will miss it, my DP says the same. Also toys are a must have. They make bath time fun, and they're a great distraction for LO's. Try to avoid running water while he's in the tub as that will scare him more. Just use the bath water, try to make it fun, sing, laugh, talk, play.

As for rinsing her hair, we have some stacking cups in the tub that are toys for her, we use then to pore water over her head, if your using baby shampoo you wont have to worry about it getting into her eye's, just try to tilt her back slightly if you can. For DD its a big game, she's even starting to try and do it herself. I usually just put cup her forhead with her hand to keep most of the water out of her eye's.
Kimberly

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 04:17:42 am »
I, too, got in the tub for the first few times that DS had a big boy bath. Most of the time now I sit on the edge with my feet in the water with him (my pants are permanently rolled up to Capris lol!). The water is probably about 1.5 inches deep, which means that I can lay DS down on his back, so his head is resting on one of my feet, and rinse his hair off (just with bathwater) that way. I still keep hands on him to make sure that he doesn't wobble off -- he's still a pretty non-mobile guy. Maybe this will change once he shows more of an inclination to get places! (Actually that's already starting  ::) )

I also always had a bathtime routine, both pre-, during, and post- and had favourite toys. I kept this the same as we transitioned to the bigger tub, and I think that helped.

Good luck!

Katy

p.s. and don't worry, I think it was about 8 months that we finally moved DS out of his infant tub. His legs used to hang out over the sides, and he'd try to roll over in it  :-[ :o