Author Topic: Anyone have trouble with fruits?  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 87
Anyone have trouble with fruits?
« on: June 15, 2006, 18:55:13 pm »
Hello, I posted in another area that my angel baby suddenly started screaming at night for just over a week.  The doctor told us her ears were fine, no fever, no teeth yet.  We couldn't figure it out.  Her EASY routine is adjusting from 3 hour to 4 hour so that is part of it.  But also, I realized fruits were new to her diet.  She had had pears and peaches only.  About 1 oz a day.  I stopped giving her the fruit and she stopped screaming at night and has slept well since.

Anyone else have this happen?  If so, when can I try fruits again?

Thanks!
Jill
Elise 12.14.05

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Anyone have trouble with fruits?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 19:10:14 pm »
Sounds like she may be getting gas from the food. Maybe start with some root vegetables instead and see if that works well? Carrots are a good one. If you do want to try fruit, maybe a little mashed up banana? You also may want to start with even less at first - maybe only 1 teaspoon the first day, and work your way up.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Wiki

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 19:22:14 pm »
I wondered this as well, but I think we had it with butternut squash...and possibly pears. We'll see tho, cos I think some of it is teeth!

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Showing Appreciation 87
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 19:46:08 pm »
Thank you for the replies.  I forgot to mention, she has already had quite a few veggies with no problems including, squash, sweet potato, peas, green beans and carrots.  Fruits are next on the list but she had that bad reaction.

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08

Offline Mrs. Gravy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 02:21:32 am »
As I'm sure you know, solids are just for experimentation at this age.  She should still be getting the majority of her nutrition from breast milk or formula.

That said, there is NO NEED to worry about what she's eating.  She'll be getting all the carbs, fats, and proteins from bm.  Solids are just for fun.  She could spend the next 6 months eating nothing but applesauce (solid wise!) and she'd be fine.

There's no need to rush.  If she's not doing well with fruits right now, perhaps her digestive system just isn't ready to handle them it.  Wait a month, maybe 2 and try re-introducing them to her diet.  Most likely, once her GI system matures, she'll be able to tolerate more foods.

Good luck!

Lan

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 02:27:32 am »
Were the fruits cooked or raw? Apples, pears and peaches contain pectin, which can be a little hard for babies' immature systems to digest, but if you cook the fruit till soft and then puree it well it helps them digest it better. Or try again in one month. Banana doesn't contain pectin so you could try that, but it can be quite constipating so go easy on it at first!