Author Topic: Should I switch formula ?  (Read 1344 times)

Offline sk4399

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Should I switch formula ?
« on: June 16, 2006, 01:30:02 am »
Hello,
About 2 weeks ago I switched Alaina's (7 weeks) formula from Similac to Nestle (Carnation) Good Start because she was so fussy after she ate.  When I started using the Good Start I immediately noticed that she was less fussy and seemed to be more at ease.  Well... she is spitting up, which she never did on Similac she also seems to be gassy.  She also eats less now that she's on Good Start.  I give her mylicon with each bottle.  My question is this...  Should I

A) Keep her on Good Start and not worry about the spit up

B) Switch her to soy (Isomil).  DD (Now 3 years) used this

C) Try something new Gentlease

Any advice?

TIA

Katy

Katy :)

Offline Southernbelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
  • Mom to three beautiful kids!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 01:51:42 am »
Hi, I've been thru almost every formula with my DD with reflux.  I believe that GEntleease is similar to Good Start.  It claims the proteins are broken down like Good Start.  My DD is now on Good Start and my son was on it too when he needed formula.  My DD's GI doc recommended it because we thought we had ruled out a milk allergy.  The only problem with switching to soy is that it can constipate babies.  I tried it last week with DD and within four days she had hard stools.  I have switched her back to Good Start now.

The spitting up may be normal for your lo.  Some babies don't start spitting up much until about 6-10 weeks.  My sons spit up got bad at six weeks.  He had reflux too, but if your lo doesn't seem uncomfortable now then reflux is probably not the problem.  My guess is that maybe she was eating more of the other formula because her tummy hurt and she was trying to soothe herself.  As long as she is getting enough on the Good Start, I would probably stick with it since she is happier.  I can totally put up with spit up over an unhappy baby.  If you are concerned about the amount of spitting you could talk to the doc about it.  Otherwise, changing formulas can be extra stress on their tummies because each time they have to get used to digesting something different.  WAs there a reason why your DS did better on the Soy?  Sometimes stuff like that is GEnetic and maybe your DD will have the same problems as her brother.
My pediatricians website recommends (I always have to go back and check)
      AGE            # of Bottles       Oz per bottle
1 wk - 1 mo           7 - 8                  2 - 4
1 mo - 3 mo           6 - 7                  4 - 6
3 mo-6 mo             4 - 5                  6 - 7
Hope that this all helps!  I think it's all trial and error.
5 yrs, 3 yrs, 7 months

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
Re: Should I switch formula ?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 03:22:12 am »
We made the rounds on formula as well and settled on Good Starts.  DD is still constipated with it and (warning TMI) has dark green poops with it, but she is so much less fussy and sleeps SO much better.  It was like night and day for us.  We did go on Zantac for reflux and now that you mention it, it was after going to the Good Starts.  I have worked her down to half the original dose and need to ask the doc if she even needs it any more (started at 4MO and she's 7.5MO now).   We had major gas issues when DD was younger and used Mylicon with some success in every bottle (didn't help for the overnight though, sorry).  We cut that out at about 5MO or so when she just seemed to outgrow the gas issue.

On another side note...saw the post about Nestle and the request to boycott...I'd like to comply, but I absolutely cannot give up the Good Starts for DD.  Anyone know of a formula that's the same...Enfamil Gentlease?

Sorry I don't think I answered your questions - just wanted you to know that it worked wonders for us on the sleep front but we had similar issues that we addressed separately until she outgrows them.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Southernbelle

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 12:03:16 pm »
I can't find a post about Nestle.  What was that all about?
5 yrs, 3 yrs, 7 months

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 17:33:18 pm »
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Andie6294

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Kelsie Ryen
    • Lilypie
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 04:37:39 am »
Hi all.. My LO is on Gentlease and has been since age 3 weeks. It's slightly different than Good Start, as it also has 1/4 the lactose as other milk-based formulas.

Kelsie has reflux also, and is on Prilosec.

She's a gassy one, like all  babies, I'd imagine, but I don't think it's at all due to a milk allergy/insensitvity...  I think it's just because if she's uncomfortable when she's eating, she gulps more air.

Gentlesae seems to me to be a good thing to try next if you have ?s about your babie's formula. Simply   because the soy STINKS, and I'm sure you've read over and over, that if it's a protein to a milk that causing the problem, it's likely she'll have the same prob with soy protein,

I would imagine that the lactose is a large prob with my LO, and is probably rather hard for babies to digest anyway.  I spoke with an Enfamil Rep and he said that they are in the works to make Gentlease in forms other than powder, because they want to introducce that into mother/baby units in hospitals.  Obviousy it would be less stressful to the baby to try to adapt to a formla with less lactose.

Hope my little schpiel helps someone!
Benjamin Anthony 6-2-94
Annaliese Brynn 7-18-2003
Kelsie Ryen 3-28-06

Offline Southernbelle

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 13:07:39 pm »
That is interesting about Gentlease.  So far this week Lo is doing quite well back on the Good Start, but if she starts having problems again I may try it.  I just hate to keep switching things up on her already sore tummy.  I do wonder if her problems are from LActose.  It's the only formula change that I haven't tried yet.
5 yrs, 3 yrs, 7 months

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 14:41:39 pm »
It's unlikely the lactose - most babies have a problem with the milk proteins, not the milk sugar (lactose). If milk proteins are a problem you'd need to try something like Alimentum.

Also, some babies do better with the Good Start without the AHA/DRA - so you can always try that - numerous people have told me that the one with AHA/DRA made their babies spit up more and more gassy.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01