Author Topic: My Baby Won't Sleep Longer Than 45 mins.  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Nadia's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My Little Angel
My Baby Won't Sleep Longer Than 45 mins.
« on: June 16, 2006, 01:52:37 am »
PLEASE HELP!!!! :'( My 5 months old daughter keeps waking up every 45 mins to an hour from the time that I put her down for the night which is usually 7pm. She's never been a good sleeper and has never slept through the night but she use to sleep at least from about 8pm til 1 or 2am straight prior to turning 4 months. The only change I made at that time was to put her on E.A.S.Y which was great because it increased her nap times she started going to sleep w/o a big fuss. When she wakes up all she wants is her paci and then she usually goes right back to sleep. I'm currently trying the pat/shh.. along w/ the pu/pd (when things get out of hand) going on 2 wks and taken away the paci starting this morning (imagine how that's been). Most of the time pat/shh... does the trick and she goes back to sleep but only to wake right back up 45 mins later and I have to go through the whole process again. I don't know what else to do and I don't know how long I'll have to do the pat/shh... and the pu/pd before she learns to sooth herself when she wakes up. I'm at my wits end w/ the endless waking up. Is this normal? I would be greatful for any advice.

Here is her usual schedule:

7:00 - wake (has been waking last couple of mornings at 6:30-leave in crib til 7)
           liquid (5 oz BM)
  7:45 - solids (cereal and fruit or vegetable)
  9:00 - sleep (usually 1 1/2 to 2 hours on a good day -  at least wakes up once during)
11:00 - wake
           liquid (BF 10 mins)
  1:00 - sleep (usually 30 mins to an hour - at least wakes up once during)
  3:00 - liquid (BF 10 mins)
  6:00 - solids (cereal and fruit or vegetable)
  6:20 - bath
  6:45 - liquid (4 or 5 oz BM/depends on how much solids were eaten)
  7:00 - sleep (usually goes down w/ no problems)
Thanks,

Patricia

Offline shelliz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
Re: My Baby Won't Sleep Longer Than 45 mins.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 02:11:38 am »
Hi there!

By looking at your baby's schedule it looks like she is going 5-6 hours from her second nap until bedtime. I am 99% sure that is why she is waking so often during the night. She is overtired. That is a very long stretch for a 5 month old!! At her age it would really benefit her to take a 45 minute catnap b/w like 4:00 and 5:00 pm. I am not sure why she is just starting to wake like this if the only thing that you changed was putting her on E.A.S.Y.  It sounds like you are doing a great job with everything, but I would recommend letting your baby have a catnap and I would bet that your baby's nightwakings begin to quit!  hope that helps!

:)Shelby

Offline Nadia's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My Little Angel
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 13:45:09 pm »
Sometimes she does take a catnap but that's only if she were to sleep 20 or so mins for her second nap. Usually if she sleeps an hour I can forget it and if she does it's for 10 to 15 mins only. I'm going to try an get her to consistently take a catnap and see if that helps.

I'll try anything right now :o

Thanks for the advice
Thanks,

Patricia

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 17:11:10 pm »
i agree with everything that shelliz has said..and also if you try stretching out that A time a bit i think that may help you get better naps too. i would try to keep lo up 15 min longer for each A time before the two naps. the catnap will also help lo not be overtired before bedtime which does sound like what is causing those wake ups. just make sure it is that a catnap - and don't let lo have it too late as it will affect night sleep also. try the catnap in or before 5pm. good luck!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005