Author Topic: Should i give him water??  (Read 905 times)

Offline Vanness

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Should i give him water??
« on: June 16, 2006, 05:56:56 am »
Matthew is almost 6 months old, and we have just started him on solid 3 weeks ago. He was a breastfed baby for the first 4 months and he is now on formula. My doctor told me that i didn't need to give him water when he was breastfed. But since i have started him on solid, should i start giving him water? The only problem though, he doesn't like water at all. And i don't want to give him juice.

Offline linfran

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 08:01:46 am »
I would agree about leaving the juice alone if you can.

I'm no expert but if he's getting enough other fluids and doesn't seem dehydrated you would think he should be OK but obviously if you can get water into him between meals (especially in hot weather) it wouldn't do him any harm - but you know what they say about leading a hrse to water - if he doesn't like it you cld have a lot of fun!!!

Just remember, you know your lo best.

Offline rosie and joe's mummy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • baby joe
Re: Should i give him water??
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 11:06:45 am »
rose had water with a splash of fruit juice in it to start her off. and she will now happily drink plain water too.

i have never given her a bottle, she's taking her water through a sippy cup quite happily. i would recommend if you are bottle feeding that you don't try giving juice or water in a bottle, just try with a sippy cup and don't worry that it takes lots of attempts and several days to get the hang of it.

babies on formula and solids do need more extra water than breastfed babies, who will take more foremilk to increase their fluid intake with more frequent feedings.

we have a great sippy cup that we use. if you're in the UK i'll tell you where it came from.
rosie - 12/12/05
Joe 17/03/08

breastfed angel babies!