Author Topic: 7 week old crying at night  (Read 1670 times)

Offline gina99

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 16, 2006, 09:18:12 am »
Grace is now 7 weeks old and we have been trying to following EASY since she was born.  She feeds every 3 hours during the day and then at night I do a 6pm 8pm & 10pm and then put her to bed.  Over the last week or so she goes down at 10pm but starts crying in her sleep at about 2.30am, her eyes are not open but she is kicking her legs and arms about.  I give her a dummy which settles her but every half hour or so she will start crying again until about 4.30 when I feed her, her next feed is at 9am.  I'm trying to get her to sleep a full 8 hours to 6am.

Am I expecting to much as she is only 7 weeks, should I just feed her when she crys at 2.30 and then feed her at 6am & 9am. or should I try and leave her until 6am?

Offline *Mona*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 144
Re: 7 week old crying at night
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 10:02:28 am »
Am I expecting to much as she is only 7 weeks, should I just feed her when she crys at 2.30 and then feed her at 6am & 9am. or should I try and leave her until 6am?

Hi Gina :)
well, I think you actually ARE expecting too much from your baby. my dd is 7 weeks and two days now and her evenings/night look like this:
eat 6 PM [or a bit later]
activity 6:20~7:20 [some low key act. with her dad, bath, massage]
eat [just to fill her up]
7:30 we put her to bed and now it takes her some 20~30 minutes to fall asleep.

then she wakes at 11:30~12:00 PM to eat, after that at 2/3 AM and 5/6 AM. and I'm really happy that she gives us those 4 hours in the evening. and I don't expect her to sleep through the rest of the night because she's just still really young and I guess just needs to feed at night.

do you BF your LO? if so, she's definitely hungry at 2:30.

hugs,
Monika
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)

Offline ATCgirly

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 01:10:14 am »
Monika, I have to agree with you. My little 7 week old punkin' has the same night wakings as yours and it works out just fine. My problem is that DD is having issues with naps. Do you mind giving me an example of your schedule? Mine is a bit crazy because of her nap issues, but we are working hard on it. Also, are you BF or formula? I am now formula feeding and am curious how much other little ones consume. Take care!  ;D

Offline ¤ Efka ¤

• Showing Appreciation 174
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 01:33:14 am »
I would def. feed her. She is too small to jus tto let her be. And if she was not doing that before, then it is probably growth spurt
~Efka~

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 01:57:27 am »
Hi there!

At 7 weeks you should expect to be getting up a few times at night.  A wee ones tummy is so small, only capable of holding a small amt of fluid, they grow so fast now, more then they ever will in their life!  You need to give her the calories through the night too.  8 hours is far too long to expect her to go at night.  When a baby this age cries, there is a real need that must be addressed.  Another cue that she is really hungry is the fact that she won't suck the paci, she knows its not what she needs so she spits it out and lets you know  ;)   I remember how tired I was when Owen was 7 weeks!  Hugs to you and try to sleep when LO does during the day!!

;D ;D
Zoey

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline *Mona*

• Showing Appreciation 144
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 10:22:22 am »
My problem is that DD is having issues with naps. Do you mind giving me an example of your schedule? Mine is a bit crazy because of her nap issues, but we are working hard on it. Also, are you BF or formula?

ATCgirly,

what kind of nap issues do you have right now? is your lo napping too short? or is she hard to put to sleep? mine was awfully hard to put down until a few days ago. and her naps are getting longer [at last :o], cause up till now she was a 45-minutes sleeper ::)

so really we didn't have a good schedule. she eats 15~20 minutes [started both side eating, getting hungrier  :o], then we have some activity [mobile, tummy time, reading stories etc.] for an hour or so and then she starts to yawn so I put her down with her paci. she wriggles and moans [sort of...] for a while and then she falls asleep. We did swaddle her but now it's just to hot. and once a day, or sometimes twice, we go out and she takes her nap in a stroller.

I BF her. so can't help you with the formula issues. but I'll have to switch to mixed feeding as I'm going back to work in September and I know it will be just impossible for me to express at work [I spend just too much time outside the office and very irregularly].

big hugs to you and your lo :)
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)