Author Topic: Is cereal necessary or go straight to 'real' food?  (Read 2380 times)

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
Is cereal necessary or go straight to 'real' food?
« on: June 16, 2006, 13:14:08 pm »
Just wondering if it's vital to start off with cereals if lo is already on iron fortified formula, or is it ok to skip cereal all together and go for the real stuff?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Is cereal necessary or go straight to 'real' food?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 13:16:29 pm »
It's not vital but as formula intake decreases iron needs increase so it's good to do cereal if your LO will eat and tolerate it. I personally like only organic whole grain cereals - Earth's Best has some great ones. I usually mix them with DD's fruit or veggies.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 14:01:25 pm »
I would actually disagree, because there are nutrients in cereal that are not in other food. Especailly iron for bf babies. Its essential LO get a good iron fortified cereal so that they don't become iron defisient, because as they eat more solids they drink less formula. When we started cereal it did cause constipation from a lot of iron, but my doctor said it was safer to go to non iron fortified formula of the same brand and stick with the cereal and there are a lot of other good nutrients in the cereal. Even with an iron fortified formula they still need it. I would say go strait cereal first, then add fruits or veggies to the cereal. Strait first to be sure they have no allergy.

I think you'll find the opinions on this very from country to country and from doctor to doctor. I would recomend talking to your doctor to get their opinion on it, if anyone can help you it'll be your doctor since they know you and your child.
Kimberly

Offline Mrs. Gravy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 14:45:36 pm »
I prefer giving "real" foods over processed cereals.

My son doesn't get infant cereals at all.  He occassionally will eat regular, whole grain oatmeal, or rice pasta, but that's it as far as grains are concerned.  He's 10 months old and bf, and has never had problems with iron levels.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

I would rather give food that is naturally rich in iron than iron-fortified foods.  Foods rich in iron include:
winter squash
sweet potatoes
prune juice
meat & poultry (beef, beef & chicken liver, turkey, chicken)
mushrooms
sea vegetables (arame, dulse), algaes (spirulina), kelp
greens (spinach, chard, dandelion, beet, nettle, parsley, watercress)
yellow dock root
grains (millet, brown rice, amaranth, quinoa, breads with these grains)
blackstrap molasses (try adding a little to cereal or rice)
brewer's yeast

You may wish to give baby foods high in vitamin C along with iron-rich foods, since vitamin C increases iron absorption.

Offline Mrs. Gravy

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 18:06:34 pm »
Hi Karita,

Thanks for your concern.  To answer your question, no my baby does not get iron supplements. 

The iron in breastmilk is better abosrbed than that from other sources.  I agree that breast milk does not have as much iron as formula, but the current research has shown that iron in bm is 50-70% absorbed by baby.  The iron in formula or iron-fortified cereals is only 1-4% absorbed.  That means a baby would have to eat more than 10X the amount of iron-fortified cereal to get the same amount of iron in one serving of breast milk.

The iron in bm is bound to 2 proteins, lactoferrina and transferrin.  When iron binds these proteins, it becomes unavailable to bacteria like E.coli, Salmonella, Escherichia.  This process ensures that baby gets the available iron. 

Introducing iron supplements and iron-fortified foods reduces the efficiency of baby's iron absorbtion.  The iron in formula and supplements is not bound to these proteins and there is a "free-for-all" in the gut - with bacteria and baby fighting for available iron.  Supplemental iron can also interfere with zinc absorbtion.

A recent study (Dewey 2002) found that routine iron supplementation of breastfed babies with normal hemoglobin levels may present risks to the infant, including slower growth (length and head circumference) and increased risk of diarrhea.

La Leche League recommends feeding foods that are rich in iron rather than giving iron supplements or iron-fortified cereals.

I'm not sure about the iron requirements for formula fed babies, since I do not formula feed. 

You might find the following sites informative:
http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/faqs/faq005.asp
http://breastfeed.com/resources/articles/ironsupplements.htm
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 00:38:23 am by Mrs. Gravy »

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 18:13:06 pm »
To throw my tuppence worth in, my son's medical professionals advised me when starting solids to begin with baby rice (mixed with milk - I use a gluten free and organic variety) plus fruit and veg, introducing one at a time a few days apart to make sure he doesn't have a reaction.

Maybe I'm wrong and my memory is a bit wonky (since I had the baby I'm one right dozy mare) but didn't one of the BW books recommend starting with pears or baby rice?

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 18:54:24 pm »
linfran yes it sure did. Rice is usually very easy for a first food, its easy on babies tummy and the least likly to cause an allergic reaction. Not always though, just ask my DD  :P she still can't have rice of any kind. Its oats, barley or mixed for her. 

« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 20:29:47 pm by Karita »
Kimberly

Offline Jenn©

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 21:06:16 pm »
Wow!!  They did not tell us all that neat iron info in my peds class.  Or if they did, I don't remember.  Just curious, where do you find stuff like the sea veggies?  What ages are the more exotic things introduced?  I also want to encourage you to pop over to the baby recipes and share your favorites.    Always looking for new ideas for dd.  Do you have any info on iron supplements in the formula babe?  Dd had them for a bit when younger.  Unable to breast feed due to a life threatening condition that needs a nasty med.   :(   Throw in her preeminess, and you have me curious about the slowed growth thing. 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 21:46:07 pm »
I haven't done cereals, and have always started my babes on fruits and veggies first. I just think that you cannot get any better than fresh, natural produce prepared with minimal fuss.

very interesting info re: iron and bf babies - thanks!
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 08:51:24 am »
Thanks Karita for letting me know I haven't gone completely loopy just yet!

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 10:04:52 am »
A recent study (Dewey 2002) found that routine iron supplementation of breastfed babies with normal hemoglobin levels may present risks to the infant, including slower growth (length and head circumference) and increased risk of diarrhea.

Gosh I guess my ds#2 is the exception that fits the rule if that is truly the case, as my ds is very tall (taller than many 2yo we know) & head circumference is pretty big (ie both are above the 99% (weight is around the 90%)... he has never had diarrhea & he has eaten iron fortified cereal (with other foods ever since I introduced solids at 6mo (bf too).
from my memory (I did Haematology 16 year ago) too much iron does cause problems in anyone (actually insanity in adults), but the level it has to be is much higher than one could get from the amount in cereal or in supplements available for babies... adult supplements would cause poisoning in babies.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 10:13:29 am »
In my opinion, I think it may be useful to remember that not only is every baby different with different nutritional needs, every country is different in their advice.

It is very easy to say that "I am right", when actually no one is, what is thought to be correct at the moment may not be in 6months time. My DD is only 22 months old and already I have heard about 3 different "right" ways on which to wean your child. HV's and doctors have the stand to say their advice is "correct" when it is totally different to a doctor in another country.

Although we are all very well read on the subject, maybe the best thing to do is to consult a doctor on this, they are professional and can actually assess a child's iron level, be they deficient, normal or high.

After that ultimately it then lies with the parent, you know your child best and know what they need. read all the advice, but don't be afraid to go your own way, make an informed decision.
Kimberley

Lan

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 11:51:45 am »
I think one of the reasons most people start with cereal is because you can mix it with either formula or EBM so it doesn't taste too different from what your baby is used to eating. You can also make it extra runny. Rice is usually the first cereal given because it's the least allergenic, and processed rice cereal has a finer texture than home made pureed rice. But you can skip it and go to other foods - Tracy suggests pears, pears are one of the least allergenic fruit. But make sure it's wellcooked to breakdown the pectin.

Offline Mrs. Gravy

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 13:01:51 pm »
It is very easy to say that "I am right", when actually no one is, what is thought to be correct at the moment may not be in 6months time.

I don't think anyone is trying to say feeding cereal is "right" or "wrong".  It's a choice. 

I don't think the amount of iron in cereal is going to harm a baby.  Take the study I listed that showed a correlation between bf babies given iron supplements and slower growth.  That doesn't say that EVERY baby who is bf and given iron is going to be a slow-grower. 

At the end of the day, this bulletin board is just another resourse.  As parents, we have to try and educate ourselves as best we can, take all the information into consideration, and try to make the best decisions for OUR children.  What works for one family may not be what works for another.

I choose not to give infant cereals, and my son is doing fine.  If he were to become severly anemic, I may reconsider that decision, but for now, I'm confident that he's doing well on his current diet.  That's not trying to say that everyone should feed their child the same way I do - do what works for YOU.  :)

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 13:14:19 pm »
I don't feed DS infant cereal.  Basically it doesn't offer anything except iron and I BF and offer iron rich foods so that isn't a concern of mine.  Rice is a carb and turns to sugar so I think many other foods are much more nutritious.  It certainly won't harm your little one so it is a personal choice.
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05