Author Topic: Weening from breast to bottle  (Read 908 times)

Offline daddycarlos

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Weening from breast to bottle
« on: June 16, 2006, 15:44:25 pm »
Hi there!

We need some help with weening 6 month old Rosa (our first) from breast to bottle.  This is very urgent since we are getting married in 3 weeks and mother does not want to be breastfeeding Rosa whilst taking our vows etc!  Also, this is a long-term goal for us anyway and it seems that a short sustained campaign is what is required.

The book suggests waiting out the hunger strike, which I tried yesterday, but failed. We did give her 1 early morning breast feed and I gave some baby rice for lunch, she waited out until bed time when Mum got home, we gave in and gave a breast feed.  (About 2 weeks ago we began weening to first foods, a resounding success.)  She does accept the teat, gives it a suck or two then looks disinterested.  We've tried several different teats and the same has occurred each time.  We are sticking to a medium flow latex one for now that was recommended to us.

For our next day of action, our new plan is to skip the early morning breast feed, skip lunch and offer only bottles once an hour for a maximum of 5 mins at a time (as the book suggests).  Does this sound OK?

Now, if worst case scenario happens and the hunger strike goes on until bed time, should we also skip the last breast feed and attempt to settle without any feeds that day? That seems a little extreme to us, but maybe we should consider it if people think that's OK.

Please help  :)

DaddyCarlos in the UK

Offline owelley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 57
  • You took the fall and thought of me above all.
    • www.chordpower.com
Re: Weening from breast to bottle
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 16:40:25 pm »
HELLO!!   You'll find some help here!!

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=9215.0
Blessed beyond measure.