Author Topic: How long is your toddler awake before their nap?  (Read 5665 times)

Offline mom2miles

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How long is your toddler awake before their nap?
« on: June 17, 2006, 04:36:21 am »
Just curious as to how long, on average, your toddler is awake before they go to sleep for their nap?  Specifically those who only take one nap per day.  We're having tons of sleep issues right now with my 23-month old (see post below), but I'm wondering if I'm trying to put him down too early for his nap.  He just doesn't seem sleepy.  He wakes anywhere from 8-9 a.m.  At noon we have lunch, followed by a walk around the neighborhood in his stroller, then a sippy of milk in his rocking chair, then down for a nap around 1:00-1:30.  Lately he has been fighting sleep, so IF he naps at all it is usually not until 2:30-3:00 or later.  Thanks for the input.

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

Re: How long is your toddler awake before their nap?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 04:56:41 am »
Based on your timings and the later wake up, when my ds was that age he would wake at 6am and nap at 12.30pm - so the later time slot that your lo is wanting to fall asleep actually sounds about right. What time is bedtime?

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 09:40:33 am »
Yes, Harrison is up 5.30/6am and sleeps 12.30pm for 1hr 3/4, bedtime 7.15pm. Sometimes he seems quite tired in the mid-morning, but perks up after a snack!

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 09:50:03 am »
Just another idea, do you get him out doing something physical in the morning to tire him out? This was pretty much a sure guarantee that I'd have an earlier napper. Where you take him for a walk in the stroller, how about instead have him walking down the road next to you and just go a short distance and then back - we have a little wooden trolley that my ds would push along and pick up things of interest - it was amazing how 1/2 hr could disappear and only get about 20 houses down the street!

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 13:34:14 pm »
Carmela is 26 months old. She wakes anywhere from 6-6:45 and naps at 12 for 1.5-2 hours.  Bedtime is 7:30..she's normally asleep around 8:00-8:15

Offline vibha

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 19:04:07 pm »
hi,
     Pranav is 20 months and he wakes up b/w 6:30 -7:00 , he has he nap time between 1:00 and 2:30.he naps for about 1.5 hours. he goes to bed around 7:00 to 7:30 .
HTH..
cheers,
vibha

Offline Bruno'smami

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 11:58:01 am »
Hi!
Bruno is 19 months and wakes up at 7.45-8.15 and nap at 1.00/15 for about 1.45/ 2 hrs. and bedtime at 8.30.
The activity (walk) in the morning is very good to tire him out ;), especially now that is summer here!
HTH
Yra
Bruno Nov.20 2004

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 18:32:59 pm »
Margot wakes around 6 naps from 1-3 (usually but she can go down up to 1/2 hour earlier and she may only nap 1.5 hours)  and is asleep around 8-8:15 but it can be 20 minutes either way.     

You may want to check out the sticky "what your toddler day looks like"  at the beginning of the board as well.  . Most lo's seem to have an awake time of 5.5 to 6.5  hours before nap I think. 

I know Tracy's schedule for a 1 napper is 7 am wakeup 1 pm nap for 2 hours then a 7:30 bedtime (I assume that means an 8 ish sleep time)  so her schedule is 6 hours before 5 hours after nap.

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 18:52:27 pm »
Along with the "timing" you also have to take onto consideration that you have to follow your ds's cues too. We have to tweak with a 5-6 hours awake time before nap because some days ds is extremely tired by 4.5 hour mark (then we have to do a 5 hour stretch) and some days he's singing, dancing and hyper at the 5.5 hour mark (those days we go for a 6 hour activity period). I always take in consideration 30 mins before the nap to have enough time for winding down, diapering, etc (that can take ages with a squirming toddler LOL). On days he's ill or teething, he's more likely to be tired on shorter stretches and i just go with the flow because if i try to hold him for longer, then he gets overtired and the sleep craziness starts.

To give you some peace of mind, my lo also wakes very late (never before 830 am, mostly 910 am) and his average nap time goes from 220 to 245 pm till 445 (i wake him no later than this if he hasn't woken by his own) and it's a 9-930 pm bedtime...i know it sounds super late for some of you but here in Mexico timings are different and no one goes to bed at 7 pm, it's just how it works, most nurserys open at 9am because of that. Tracy suggested 7-7 timings but also was a big advocate to follow family's lead and dynamics.

So i'd suggest you to observe your lo to see what time suits him best to go down.If you don't want him to go down for nap so late or can't manage to keep him super busy to wear him out, you'll have to start tweaking his schedule, waking him earlier in the morning in 15 mins increments till you get the timings you wish. HTH!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake