Author Topic: whoops! what is wrong?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline gingerfeet

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 17, 2006, 15:20:59 pm »
hello all
my dd 18mths has no problem going to sleep on her own(with a bottle). recently after finishing the bottle of milk, she will call and cry for me to the room.  which i then gives her a cuddle, fills her bottle with a wee bit of water, she sometimes will sleep sometimes i have to rocked her.  Also these days.. she refused to lie down in her cot,  the minute i lay her down, she turns n stand up, and she cries hysterically if i don't pick her up. She also wakes up around 3am standing in her cot refuse to be put back again, I just cuddle her and put her to my bed.  i tried to putting her back into her cot when she is fast asleep, as soon as she touches her cot, she toss n stood up again.  :-\ the more i console or soothe her , the harder she cries.. The thing is she is happily taking her bottle and playing in her cot until the bottle is empty then she will cry for me.  ? i thought that the bottle n her playing in her cot is a wind down period n most times they will drift off to sleep?  anyone with experience or suggestions please shed me some lights here.  thanks

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: whoops! what is wrong?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 17:21:31 pm »
Well, the trouble with the bottle is that sometimes it backfires you, that is, it works for a while and then it becomes a prop and not a nice one. I recommend that it should not be used as the last thing lo does before going to sleep because of it. It is a good part of a wind down, but is more likely to work for good if it is the first thing that gets done, that is  bottle-book-cuddle/songs-and then bed (as an example)...

From your post i see a lot of things that are not helping with it, that is you taking her to your bed, the rocking (sometimes)... you see, she doesn't know what to expect cause each time she cries, you try something different and in her mind, it has became i game (i cry, i get rocked or maybe if i cry harder i'll go to mommy's bed)... this kids are SMARTER than us LOL.

I would like to see your daily schedule to rule out other causes for her upsetting (it might be caused because she's overtired, ill or teething) and to come up with a structured plan that includes a long wind down that helps her to go to sleep independently and to solve her night wakings without you interveining much. Im thinking that a walk in/walk out techique will work for you (all techniques are described by henrysmama in the FAQ section). But first we need to have a hint on what can be causing her to act like this.

HTH and īpost back!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake