Author Topic: Going well, but need tweeking I think  (Read 1482 times)

Offline mkoontz

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 17, 2006, 16:42:31 pm »
Hi I'm wondering if you can help with my daughters sleeping.  I think it's a night  waking problem, but they are all inter-related so much it's hard to figure out where to post.  Anyway....
She is 5 1/2, nearly 6 months old, was fully breastfed until a couple of days ago where were are introducing baby much (carrots and bananas so far - she's doing well and seems to like it)
She's on a 4 hr easy routine but has only been for about a week.  I've just discovered Tracy's books and am one of those mums who wishes she's seen them earlier.  Anyway...
She does deviate from the 4 hrs in the evening.  I've tried for a couple of days but she just seems to need a 6pm feed, when she's not due to 7pm.  Introduced solids to see if this helps - jury is still out.
She naps fairly well now.  about 1 1/2 hrs in the am and 45 mins currently in the pm - trying to extend that pm time, but she wakes up happy and wants to play.  At this stage I leave her in her crib and don't go to her until she cries, but she's not very interesting in sleeping.  Problem is that she is then tired about 1 1/2 hrs later, but I'm trying to keep her catnap at least 5pm, otherwise she's too tired for bed.
I've stopped feeding her in the night, but she is still waking at 2am and 4.30-5am.  I dream feed at 10 or 11 and that seems to have knocked out her 11pm feed.  I don't feed her any more at night, but do go to her and to settle her.  She settles easily if I pick her up, but not so good if I just try the hand on the body thing.  Patting doesn't work at all.  I would love to loose at least the 2am wake up call.
She's been so tired recently she's nearly asleep when I put her down, both for naps and night time.  I though she was going to sleep by herself, but really all she usually does is close her eyes and maybe roll over then she's asleep.  I've been trying for a 10 min wind down, but maybe that's too much and it needs to be less.

Routine is an in the book
7 wake up - feed
7.30 activity, crawling, exersaucer
9.00 nap
11.00 feed
11.30 activity
1.00 nap (usually 45 mins, but I keep her in bed until
2.30 up
3.00 feed
3.30 activity
5.00 nap
5.30 awake
6.00 feed
7.00 wind down for...
7.30 bed

Thanks for any suggestions for this.  I think I'm heading in the right direction, just need a little help to get there.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Going well, but need tweeking I think
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 17:16:55 pm »
Hi mkoontz! I also think you're heading in the right direction.  :D  Main thing though is to make sure that she's at least somewhat awake when you put her down.

If your DD needs a feed sooner than 4 hours in the evening, that's fine. I wouldn't worry about it at all, but perhaps offer another couple of ounces right before bed to see if she needs a top up for the night. Until my DS dropped a bottle, our routine was more like AEAS in each cycle, which is fine too. The idea is for the lo to not connect eating with sleeping.

When she wakes at 2, what does she do? Is she crying, talking... ? I wouldn't think that she would be hungry if you are dreamfeeding. Do you have any idea of how much she is taking during the day? I know it's hard to tell when you're BFing though.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 17:23:44 pm »
to eliminate the over tiredness move nap#1 to 8:30, keep the 1pm, and move cat nap to 4:30, then move bedtime routine to 6, last feed at 6:30 bedtime at 7, then dreamfeed at 10:30-11pm.

Does she wake at the same time everynight? if so maybe you could try W2S
Kimberly

Offline mkoontz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 17:38:08 pm »
thanks for your replies

i tried w2s the legnthen her naps and she wke every time, without fail, no matter how soft, so I gave that up.  Is it worth trying at night timt, maybe she'll be in a deeper sleep and it won't happen.

She is fully breastfed, so difficult to tell how much she eats.  I try to feed until she's coming off and not interested, usually anout 10 mins at the most

Offline mkoontz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 20:24:27 pm »
to eliminate the over tiredness move nap#1 to 8:30, keep the 1pm, and move cat nap to 4:30, then move bedtime routine to 6, last feed at 6:30 bedtime at 7, then dreamfeed at 10:30-11pm.

Does she wake at the same time everynight? if so maybe you could try W2S

Sorry, she's been a bit of a handfull today.  I guess it's the five day blues at day six.  I'm trying to stay strong, anyway I had a question about starting bedtime wind down at 6 - what to you do to last until 7?  She only takes about 15 mins max to feed.  She often doesn't have a bath as she is in the swimming pool during the day and has very dry skin so we try not to bath her ever day.  She's not the best at sitting still, we tried reading to her but she wants to be the one to have the book so it's more like play time.
We often wind down by walking around the house and yard a bit then into her room and quick cuddle then to bed. 

Thanks again for your help

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 21:37:22 pm »
Sticvk with the same wind down routine if it works for you. Figure out when is the best time to start it so your LO isn't to overtired by bedtime. Its a juggling act I know, but you know your LO and you know what she can and can't handle. For use its a bath, story, feed, then bed. Have you tried a massage? or maybe a quiet walk out doors. What ever you do is great it has to fit you both, and it just needs to be low key, very stimuli free.
Kimberly

Offline mkoontz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 22:52:41 pm »
Thanks,

She just had her 45 mins afternoon nap (after a 20 min morning one) so maybe we're back on track for the day.  Fingers crossed for tonight.  I'll report in tomorrow

Thanks

Megan

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 23:37:08 pm »
Megan, I do think it would be worth trying W2S at night. If it doesn't work, well then we can explore other things, but it's deifnitely worth a try. My lo is also a very very light sleeper so I understand! W2S for us was always simply turning the doorknob to his room - that was all it took to make him stir.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline mkoontz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 17:51:40 pm »
She SLEPT THROUGH!!!  ;D ;D ;D I got up and wandered around the house (the door to her room is open) at 2.30 and again at 3.00 and she didn't wake.

She also reverted back to her 1 1/2 hr sleep this morning so thanks you guys even if it doesn't continue tonight at least I know going in the right direction.

Thanks Again

:-*

Megan

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 22:25:29 pm »
Wow, that's great news!!!!! Keep up the good work, both of you!!  ;D
Jessica