Author Topic: Hello, new and needing help  (Read 3379 times)

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Hello, new and needing help
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 15:55:52 pm »
Hmmmm. You certainly do have an interesting lo! Do you know what personality type she is? Do you think that she is one of those los that needs less sleep or more sleep than the norm?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline birdie3775

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 19:08:45 pm »
She is very interesting! And keeps you on your feet! She is very particular about everything... the way she's held, the way she sleep, her food (you have a one second warning that she is hungry before she throws a fit) etc. Apparetnly DH was the very same way as a baby. She's my little angel though    I have no idea if she needs more or less than the norm. Right now it seems like she gets just the same as most babies her age.

I'm trying everything to get her to sleep better. I do think she is teething also, so that can be adding to our problem. She hasn't slept well since she was 1 month old :(

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 20:05:09 pm »
Yeah, my DS used to never give a sign that he was hungry until  it was too late - he'd be fine, playing along or whatever, and then all of a sudden he'd be screaming his head off, inconsolable. We were obsessive clock watchers for a while there. If she's teething then that can definitely add to the mix - so keep at it for a few days and let me know if things work out.
Jessica

Offline ambersmum

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Juilet - Manchester England
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 20:19:56 pm »
Sorry you had a bad night, you must be SO tired!
It is good she likes to sleep in her crib! Falling asleep in your bed/arms is not a habit to encourage if your aim is independent sleep.

She falls asleep quicker if you're not there? Really in 2 mins? I don't think that is CIO. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Tracy would say don't rush in, wait for a min to see if she really needs you or if she can settle on her own. CIO is leaving her to scream for a good while. My dd has just woken up at 9pm, for no reason I can think of, I've just come upstairs to listen (while I type to you) and she has got back off to sleep with no intervention, but she has been noisy for a few mins. I really don't believe that was CIO, just giving her a chance to settle herself. If she was escalating, or cried for a while, I'd go in, of course. Is your dd coming into her light sleep and crying to get herself off again?

Sorry the cluster feeding is not useful to you. I'd be interested in how much she takes over the course of a day. If she is overtired she'll not feed well in the evenings, just a thought.

hope some of this is useful, if not at least you know someone is thinking of you!!! :)

Offline birdie3775

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 03:16:49 am »
hope some of this is useful, if not at least you know someone is thinking of you!!! :)

Thank you! The longest it takes for her to get to sleep when I first put her down is 5 min. So I guess that isn't CIO. We've only let her truely CIO once because the doctor said to see if she would put herself back to sleep (this is for the night wakings). It didn't do anything and I will not do that again. She has been in bed for a little while, so we'll see how tonight goes. She did seem to eat more before bed this time... I hope that helps!

Offline ambersmum

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 13:19:22 pm »
hope last night was better! Are you in the uk, or US or somewhere else? Just wondered what the time difference was and when your night is in relation to mine!

Offline birdie3775

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2006, 11:49:55 am »
I am in the US, mountain time. :)

Well, DH and I gave her formula instead of EBM last night. She only got up twice! That's a big difference from 6. Maybe formula holds her over longer? I know it doesn't digest as easily as breastmilk, but at this point DH and I are losing our sanity so it's a must.

We are going camping so I'll continue with the formula at night and hopefully it works out. I'll let you all know when I get back. Thanks so much for all the help!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 15:48:10 pm »
 :-* to you Birdie, let us know how the camping goes! You're brave to attempt it with a lo!
Jessica

Offline ambersmum

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2006, 10:56:10 am »
how was camping? The formular at night.... some poeple say it works a treat, others reckon it is no different! Hope it works for you.

Offline birdie3775

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2006, 14:27:21 pm »
Camping went great, though it really messed with Lana's schedule. Her napping is generally short and often again. I'm kinda upset about that because it took a lot of hard work to get her on a schedule.. so here I go again!  ;D

Formula does seem to be helping at night. She still wakes often in the mornings but has extended to every 2 hours... generally. I really think had we not messed with her schedule things would definitely be on the up right now. She was even starting to put herself to bed in the mornings after waking.

I appreciate all the help that you ladies have given me. Thank you so much!

Offline ambersmum

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2006, 16:30:05 pm »
getting back on track should be easier second time round, holidays always mess up the shedule a bit, even with older ones!

you'll get there soon! I would concentrate your efforts on the naps for a bit, rather than try to sort everything out at once.

You sound really positive! THe trip must have done you good.

Post again anytime you need some support.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 18:18:02 pm »
Great to hear!
Jessica

Offline birdie3775

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 19:14:50 pm »
Thank you both!

Well she got up A LOT last night. DH took her many times... I lost count  :'( I think it's because her daytime naps are so messed up now. She's napping only for 40 min about 3 times a day. I have no idea how to help her back to sleep because what I used to do was nurse her back to sleep (that's when she'd sleep in my bed). And since I can't get in her crib with her I'm at a loss  >:(

We were getting so close!!  :(

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2006, 20:06:16 pm »
40 min 3xday??  :o  :o  :o   That is definitely where you need to start - good daytime sleep = good nighttime sleep. I'm sorry, I don't remember how old your DD is, but instead of reverting to nursing to sleep, I think it's time to start pat/sshhhh or pu/pd.
Jessica

Offline ambersmum

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2006, 16:01:01 pm »
I agree with Colin's mum! sorry no time to write more. You will get there in the end!