Author Topic: 2 week old - to wake or not to wake at night  (Read 1344 times)

Offline lilysmommie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
2 week old - to wake or not to wake at night
« on: June 18, 2006, 00:05:38 am »
Hi All,

My sister-in-law has a 2 week old baby and needs some advice. Her DS is a big boy (9olb13oz at birth) and now weighs close to 10 lbs. He is on formula and is a very good eater. He will consistently eat 3 oz at a feed every 3 hours (yes!).  Her question is whether or not to keep waking him up every 3 hours at night to feed him. He takes a while to settle back to sleep after feeding in the night and consequently, gets about 1 hour of sleep and then needs to be awakened again to eat!  The whole household is getting very little sleep.

My thinking is that she should tank him up in the evening, do a dream-feed and then let him sleep. Maybe set her alarm for 5 hours past his last feed just in case he doesn't wake up. He is a big boy and a good eater so I think he will be fine to let him sleep. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

lilysmommie
Lily was born August 18, 2005. Leah was born February 17, 2008.

We're in Ontario, Canada.

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: 2 week old - to wake or not to wake at night
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 00:10:56 am »
Bram was 8 pounds when he was born and I NEVER woke him to feed. ;D

Offline Cohensmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cohen
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 17:45:31 pm »
I agree with everyone, don't wake him.  She should enjoy the sleep cause he is only a couple weeks old and his sleep patterns could change quickly. 

I stopped waking my son after the first week since he gained his birth weight back in less than a week.  If she gets him in a routine now, does the dream feed, I would let him sleep until whenever he wakes up, even if that means him sleeping longer than 5 hours.  I wouldn't set the alarm and wake him up.  I think the more you wake him up to feed, the more it could create a habit of him waking and will need to be fixed later on.

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 22:35:00 pm by Cohensmom »

Offline lilysmommie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 23:29:40 pm »
Thanks so much to all of you!!  My DD is 10 months now....it's amazing how quickly you forget how it was when they were so little!!!  (Sleep deprivation will do that to you).  I'll pass along your tips to her.

lilysmommie
Lily was born August 18, 2005. Leah was born February 17, 2008.

We're in Ontario, Canada.