Author Topic: how do i go from 3 hour feeding to 4 hourly?  (Read 1027 times)

Offline nattyc

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
how do i go from 3 hour feeding to 4 hourly?
« on: June 18, 2006, 21:17:57 pm »
HI!
my 5 month old lo is currently on 3 hourly but am wanting to get him to 4 hourly.
Can anyone tell me how to do this without starving the little fella??!! He starts up getting cranky for his bottle just before the 3 hour so unsure how he will take the extension, obviously need to increase slowly but not sure how. Is on solids x3 daily now, commencing with bottle and food to follow.
First feed is 7am, then 10am bottle with breakfast to follow, then 1pm bottle with lunch to follow, then 4pm bottle,dinner to follow and 7.15pm bottle before bed.
If extending slowly by 15mins, If i make the second feed at 10.15am do i then make the next feed at 1.30pm? I have been told that when a baby has a late bottle, their "inner clock" resets itself for them to be ready for their next bottle at the usual time, if this is correct I would then be starving him off for a further 30mins!! Im confused!!
any advice please!!??

Offline Intransit

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.

Offline nattyc

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: how do i go from 3 hour feeding to 4 hourly?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 08:40:15 am »
thanks but part of my problem is los awake times!! they are so erratic!! I have such a battle with him to take his naps, even though he is clearly tired, rubbing eyes, yawning etc it still takes me anything up to an hour and a half to get him down and often end up rocking him as he has gone so far i cant do much else!! so his awake times vary from day to day, morning to afternoon, but my routine i try to follow is;
wakes anything between 6am-7am, 7am bottle, lo is showing signs of tiredness after bottle so gentle rocking, a story and i put him back in his cot by 8am. then the fun starts! can be in/out/up/down til gone 9am!
lo will have 45mins max. up, dressed and activity (usually baby mozart)
10am bottle, solid feed to follow. nappy change. activity til aprox 11.30am when lo shows signs of tiredness. gentle rock for 10mins or so, sing lullabies, place in cot and fun starts again. sometimes he will shout, play,cry through til next feed at 1pm, if he does sleep its only for 45 mins. if not he has his bottle then solid feed and by then he is so tired and grouchy hes not really interested in food. He will then nap but only for 45 mins (yes, that monster!!). activity and 4pm bottle and solid feed, Again i try to get him to nap about 4.45/5pm as his bed is at 7.45pm but sometimes he will, sometimes he wont. I end up resorting to taking him for a walk as he then usually falls asleep.  Bottle then at 7.15pm after his bath.
i know i have used props to help with sleeping but lo has had severe colic since birth and everything was a battle, i ended up doing what i could and know i need to break this cycle! lo also has reflux and on gaviscon.
any advice more than welcome!!!

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: how do i go from 3 hour feeding to 4 hourly?
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 19:21:30 pm »
How old is your DS?

I can see he is an overtired baby.

So your routine is

6-7am Wake
7am Bottle
8am Sleep (try to) by 9am actually asleep for 45 mins
10am Bottle then solids straight after?  or bottle then solids a little while after
11.30am Sleep (try to) maybe 45 mins
4pm Bottle and solids
4.45/5pm Sleep (try to)
7.15pm bottle

Is your DS mattress elevated?
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel