Author Topic: amount at dream feed  (Read 1890 times)

Offline newmomdi

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
amount at dream feed
« on: June 19, 2006, 01:36:08 am »
Hi there!!  My LO is 3 months old today and takes anywhere from 7- 7 1/2 oz with each feed.  She is on a four hour schedule, 7, 11,3,7, and dream feed at about 10:45.  She has always taken a full feed at the dream feed, but I have always really pushed the issue.  She is a reflux baby and although she has never had a problem with weight gain, I was always paranoid about it and made sure she took a full feed.  Now that she is older and much better with the reflux and taking such a great amount with each feed during the day, I am wondering if it is necessary to push the full feed at 10:45?  It really has become difficult, I really have to fight to get her to take 6 1/2 oz which is what I am trying to get into her at the dream feed.  She stays asleep thru the entire feed which is great and I don't want that to change.  I use a damp cool cloth to get her to keep taking the bottle, but I also wonder how much I am disrupting her at this time and I do not want her to start waking fully or once I stop the dream feed wake anyway because it has become a habit.  She has been sleeping thru the night for a little over a week.  She wakes at 6:30am which is perfect for us, she has to take her dose of Prevacid 30 minutes before her first feed of the day which is at 7am.  She goes to bed at night at 7:30pm and thanks to sticking with the shush pat in the begining, I only have to sing, swaddle, and put her in the crib with the paci and she is out in 3 minutes!  Please let me know what you think about the feed.  My biggest concern is if I cut down the amount, she will start to wake in the night, but I really would like it if I didn't have to fight so hard to get the full bottle in her.  If I do cut down the amount, say to 5 oz, and she wakes in the night, how would I handle it?  How many oz would I give then?  She is on Alimentum formula by the way, never was breast fed.  Thank you so much for the help!!!!!!
Di ;D
Angel baby with reflux
Lauren Sarah was born March 18, 2006

Offline krisdella

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 13:06:13 pm »
Not sure if this will help, our daughter is only 7 weeks, but she takes 2 oz at her dream feed. This is half of a normal feed for her. I would let her drink more, but she only takes half of a normal feed (even when she was drinking 3 oz, her dream feed was 1.5 oz). I wouldn't push her to eat more than she is ready to take and it sounds like you are doing a great job.
HTH-
Kristen

Offline newmomdi

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: amount at dream feed
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 01:12:43 am »
Thank you for responding!!  She is not waking for the feed.  She is waking during it mostly because I have to take her out of her swaddle, she won't burp otherwise.  Since she is a reflux baby I really need to make sure she burps, otherwise she ends up throwing up.  If I didn't get her for the feed at 10:45 she would not wake up.  I don't talk to her, the room is very dim and I don't give her any stimulation other than the feed and burping.  She always goes right back to sleep if she wakes during the feed, but I am thinking if she wakes during her feed every time won't her clock get set and she will start waking at 10:45-11 no matter what?  I really don't want that to happen!  I am going to cut the feed to 5 oz over the weekend and then continue to decrease it.  I am hoping she does okay.  Also, I am concerned about her total intake as I decrease the dream feed.  She takes at least 7 oz every feed now and is usually getting at total of 35-36 oz a day including the dream feed.  Do you think she will be okay with 30-32 oz?  She is gaining weight well.  I can't imagine those few oz will make a difference, 30-32 oz is still a very good amount for her age I think.  Plus, starting at 4 months I think the MD wants me to start introducing cereal.  Thank you so much for your help!!!
Di
Angel baby with reflux
Lauren Sarah was born March 18, 2006