Author Topic: waking earlier after dreamfeed  (Read 1359 times)

Offline fiandcharlie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 19, 2006, 09:55:42 am »
hi, im new to this so forgive me if i get it wrong! I have a 14 week old baby. He had a traumatic birth and has been very insecure. After a dreadful first 8 weeks of constant night wakings i managed to get a routine of feeding and bed by 7.30 and he would sleep till 1.30, feed and then wake at 4.30 and feed then sleep till 6.30. I then introduced a 10.30 dreamfeed and he would sleep till 4.30 - 5.30 then feed and go back to sleep. However, this last week he has begun waking at 2.30 for a feed again, and then struggling to settle sometimes after. Then again at 4.30. Last night he was awake right through from 2.30 to 4.30 feed. I attempt shush/pat, doesnt work. Paci doesnt work. Tried winding. He likes to cuddle and suck a muslin square but i worry that he may choke on it! Please help. He is truly a demanding baby and i am totally exhausted.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: waking earlier after dreamfeed
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 16:41:37 pm »
Welcome! I am so sorry that you are having a tough time... my lo has also been very challenging, so I know how it feels!  :-*  It really does get better though, I promise.

The dreamfeed can sometimes disrupt the sleep cycles for a lo and end up causing more wakings rather than less. Sounds like that might be what is happening for you. It did for us too, I could never do a DF. I clusterfed in the evening instead, and that helped. You might consider that instead - feeding about every two hours or so before bedtime to tank the lo up.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline fiandcharlie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 11:01:09 am »
Hi, thanks for the reply. I already cluster feed but tried to fit another in. I also did not feed him the night before last when he woke at one thirty and he went back to sleep after ten mins of shushing until his 4.30 feed! Last night i put him to bed by 7 as i wondered whether he was also over tired and he slept through till the 4.30 feed! Many thanks again for your support, this site is terrific!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 15:58:41 pm »
That's great!!!! I hope that you are both feeling better!  :-*
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline jer-76

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 20:31:43 pm »
My LO uses a muslin square all the time. I was refusing to give her anything.....but when I once went in to get her post nap & caught her grinning at me with her Tshirt tight between her gums I gave in.  ;D She also holds onto a fold when in the pram. She sometimes sleeps with it over her face, I reason that if she can put it there, she can move ot too! Shes currently a 15lb & shes never managed to get it round her neck.
 Good luck with your feeding!

Offline Andie6294

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Kelsie Ryen
    • Lilypie
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 05:53:51 am »
fiaandcharlie:  I know it's been a while since you posted, but I wanted to chime in with my experience with DFs.  Seems sometimes my LO ends up waking sooner than she would have had we not done the DF.  DH attributes this to the dreaded GAS problem.  DD seems to be too knocked out to work a burp out after the DF, which leaves us with a screaching, gassy baby an hour or so later, and the rest of the night.. and sometimes for a good portion of the day as well.

Cluster feeding doesn't seem to do well for us.  That REALLY disrupts her cycle!  Could be bc she has refux, and to feed her when she's not yet hungry, and still has the last feeding in her stomach, seems to exacerbate the problem by 10!

From what it sounds like to me, your LO is probalby the same as mine.... When they're feeling well, they LOVE to sleep, and will do so no problem. So we just need to keep in mind, which is sooo hard to do when the little booger is gassy a few nights in a row, that the sleep problems likely won't turn into habits.  Sounds like you have a very good baby, like mine, who will be very willing to comply with EASY as long as they're not feeling pain from gas, and later teething (eek!).

Kelsie LOVES her pacifier (as did my other 2... in fact, my almost-3-year-old still has hers but ONLY in her bed).  I am not familiar with the muslin square, but I'm assuming it's something for them to  suck on.. a soother of sorts.  If you're worried about him choking on the muslin square, maybe you could try a pacifier.  Not much risk there, and from what I've read, they reduce the risk of SIDS as well.
Benjamin Anthony 6-2-94
Annaliese Brynn 7-18-2003
Kelsie Ryen 3-28-06