Author Topic: is there any way to teach my 6 month old to rollover?  (Read 932 times)

Offline sleeplessinseattle

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
is there any way to teach my 6 month old to rollover?
« on: June 19, 2006, 15:05:38 pm »
my ds is doing so well with rolling over from his back to his tummy.  He's been rolling now for nearly 2 months - almost always the same direction - but he's doing it!   BUT - he has not started rolling from his tummy to his back.  I kept thinking that it was o.k. and that he'd eventually get it..he rolls onto his tummy in the middle of the night and loves to sleep that way but, when he wakes up gets frustrated that he can't see anything.  I have gotten down on the floor with him and nudged him over...and I've shown him how to rollover..he thinks its a game and laughs and laughs!!!  but - he's not figuring it out and I'm wondering if there's a way to help him learn?  I was able to lure him with a toy to help him figure out how to roll from his back to his tummy..but, I can't figure out how to do the same with rolling the opposite direction since he can't follow the toy with his eyes....any suggestions?

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Re: is there any way to teach my 6 month old to rollover?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 05:39:36 am »
I've heard that most babies learn tummy-to-back before back-to-tummy because they find it easier to push up with their arms.

DD, like your LO, was quite the opposite. She did back-to-tummy first. We didn't do anything to get her to roll from tummy-to-back, she just eventually figured it out.

You might try showing him how it is done, by demonstrating yourself or demonstrating by rolling him in the tummy-to-back direction so he gets the idea of what is supposed to happen.

Marie

Offline home alone

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
Re: is there any way to teach my 6 month old to rollover?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 13:53:06 pm »
My lo(now 9mth) was not doing this for a long time as well and did what Marisa's mom said.  Suddenly she started to do it.  It wasn't a gradual thing for her.  Maybe she was practicising behind my back but it seem like over night thing.  I think you are doing fine and it will happen soon.  I think I read it in anther threads about how they might be slower at one milestone and more advanced at another one.  Good luck!
Monica
monica
http://lb1f.lilypie.com/15Anm5.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie First Birthday tickers" />[/url]