Author Topic: Re: Very early Wakening- 14 month old Splitted Topic  (Read 965 times)

Offline Swirl

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Very early Wakening- 14 month old Splitted Topic
« on: June 19, 2006, 17:53:38 pm »
I too wanted to say that my lo has been waking up early in the mornings. I really
hope its a stage!!! I even tried Tracy's suggestion...wake to sleep technique.. :-[.I went
into his room at 5am and gently moved him in hopes to change his sleeping cycle but
5 minutes after I did that he was WIDE AWAKE. :o... his whole day has been completely
off as he wanted to go down for nap at 8:30am!!! I've been trying to do the one nap
transition but it is soooooo difficult when he wakes up sooooooo early. It seems like a
vicious cycle. Anthony goes to bed at 7:30pm so I know he isn't going to bed too late???
Thanks for listening,
Diana :(
 ???

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 18:34:12 pm »
Hi Diana,

First of all and before choosing a method we have to adress Anthony's reasons for waking so early. They can be as multiple as being overtired, or teething molars (he's at the exact age) a developmental reason, change in his routines /(you mention you're trying to switch to one nap). My first suggestion would be that if you're in the boat for 1 nap a day, then do it and if he wakes early and needs to nap early in the morning, try to extend his awake time by offering a snack and keeping activity time very low key. Then if he still wakes early from nap, do an early bedtime instead of a second nap, that should help him make up for lost sleep and still keeping the one nap a day structure so you can work on building a schedule that works for you both. This transition is really difficult and slow. Early wakings come in the combo, unfortunately. But if you keep consistant you should be able to see results in a 2 week period, if lo's not ill or teething.

HTH and please post your schedule back to start working with it!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline Swirl

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 14:33:25 pm »
Thanks for the quick response.
Anthony is cutting his first molar's along with his eye teeth. You may be right...this
may be the reason why he's waking up. I will try to keep his awake time longer if
he is wanting to nap in the mornings and simply put him to sleep earlier for bed.
I did that yesterday...He was sleeping by 7:15pm... he did wake up at 4:30am but
he went to sleep on his own around 5am..(thank GOD!!)
I will keep you posted... thanks again for listening
Diana :)

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 16:29:31 pm »
Well, that's great news. I would also give him some pain meds (if your ped ok's them) before bed to help him relax and sleep deeper. Keep us posted and good luck!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline Swirl

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 15:39:26 pm »
Well I don't want to jinx anything but I did put Anthony to bed again before 7:30pm
and he slept until 6:45am!!! I can handle this time... its anything before 6:15am that
is troubling since he seems quite cranky throughout the day. If anything unusual occurs
I will let you know...Thanks again!!!
Diana :)