Author Topic: Super Baby Food allergy info please  (Read 1352 times)

Offline LilysMum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 20, 2006, 01:14:48 am »
I was hoping someone could do me a favour please.....

I'm really interested in keeping my 6 MO on a diet as free of allergens as possible as my husband has a severe gluten allergy among other things.  I'd really like to get the Super Baby Food book by Ruth Yarron as I understand this is the most conservative when it comes to food introduction and possible reactions.  Unfortunately I am living in Korea at the moment and the book is impossible to get here.

If someone has a the book and doesn't mind giving me a brief run-down on what foods she says to introduce when during the first year, and what foods to hold off on,  I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks!

Offline Mrs. Gravy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 01:28:35 am »
I don't have the book, but I have some info!

The Top 8 allergens are fish, shellfish, dairy, soy, wheat, eggs, peanuts and tree nuts (walnut, cashew etc).  These ingredients account for 90% of all food allergies.  I would definitely stay away from these for at least a year.  Some, like peanuts, I'd avoid even longer if possible.  If you continue to breast feed past 1 year, if your child is nursing 3 times a day they don't need any additional source of dairy.

When starting solids, make sure to wait 4-5 days after introducing a few before giving a different food.  Watch for reactions.  Keep a food journal of when you gave each food and list any possible reactions.

Some of the least allergenic foods are: 

apples
apricots
asparagus
avocados
barley
beets
broccoli
carrots
cauliflower
chicken
cranberries
dates
grapes
lamb
lettuce
mangoes
oats
papayas
peaches
pears
poi
raisins
rice
rye
safflower oil
salmon
squash
sunflower oil
sweet potatoes
turkey
veal

If you're breast feeding, continue to do so for as long as possible.  Breast milk is all a baby needs for the first YEAR of life.  That means you don't even need to start solids at 6 months.  Prolonged exclusive breast feeding results in a lower incidence of food allergies.  If you do wish to start solids before a year, the above are good choices.  I started my son with fruits and veggies - avocado, banana, apples, sweet potato and squash.  I introduced meat later on, around 9 months.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/allergy.htm
http://www.aafp.org/afp/990115ap/415.html

Hope that helps a bit!

Lan

Re: Super Baby Food allergy info please
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 01:43:26 am »
I have a history of allergies and food sensitivities in my family, so  I had to careful with what I gave my son. Besides true food allergies, some people are also sensitive to natural chemicals in food (salicylates, amines and natural MSG) so I introduced foods high in those chemicals later too. Some other allergenic foods to consider introducing later are tomatoes, berries and citrus fruit - I waited till closer to 12 months to introduce those. My son is allergic to kiwifruit and pawpaw (papaya). Also if there is any coeliac disease (gluten intolerance) in your family you might want to consider giving gluten containing foods after 12 months too - basically almost all grains except corn and rice (and a few others I can't remember.)

The foods I introduced first were pears, apples, potatoes, pumpkin, rice, sweet potatoes, peaches, carrots, parsnips, bananas, chicken.

Foods on that list that are high in amines and salicylates are caulifower, broccoli, avocado, raisins (also need to consider any sulphite preservatives on dried fruit too) and some others too,  I don't have my book with me so I'm going on memory. The book is 'Friendly Food' but I'm not sure if it's available outside of Australia.

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 01:48:12 am »
If mom or dad has or had any food allergies, wait to introduce that food.  Check with the doc as to when.  I had a childhood egg allergy.  DD gets to avoid eggs until age 2 for example. 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mrs. Gravy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 01:54:44 am »
If mom or dad has or had any food allergies, wait to introduce that food.  Check with the doc as to when.  I had a childhood egg allergy.  DD gets to avoid eggs until age 2 for example. 

Actually, if mom or dad has an allergy (to anything, not just foods), you are considered an "allergic family" and should take precautions.

It is the tendency to have allergies that is inherited, not specific allergies.  Allergies to specific foods are not inherited.

Meaning, if dad is allergic to eggs, there is an increased likelihood that baby will have an allergy, but not necessarily to eggs. 

Hope I explained that OK!

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 02:11:53 am »
Good point, I was just thinking on the food aspect.  The rest of our collective allergies is a whole 'nother ball of wax to be dealt with.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 02:14:30 am »
Lily'sMum
Here's the info you requested...

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 02:14:51 am »
Lily'sMum
Here's the info you requested...

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline LilysMum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 06:19:26 am »
Thanks so much for your replies everyone, much appreciated!