Author Topic: Early wakings!  (Read 2028 times)

Offline J & J's Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Early wakings!
« on: June 20, 2006, 05:03:50 am »
Hi,

My ds is 14 1/2 months and is waking at 5.30am eery morning.

His routine is like this:

5.30  wake and bottle
7.30  breakfast
8.30  nap
9.15-10.00  wake
12.00  lunch
1.30-2.00  nap
3.30  wake
4.45  dinner
6.00 bath
6.45  bottle
7.45  bed

I'm not sure whether to drop the morning nap as now, the majority of the time he'll only have 45minutes.  I just don't think he'd manage to stay awake!  Perhaps it's worth a try??!!

I've always had a few problems with either his naps/sleeping or feeding.

Help!!
Emigrated from the UK to Australia 1st July 2009!!

My blogspot - fatracslim.blogspot.com

andibig

Re: Early wakings!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 05:35:18 am »
Can't help. just sympathise as DD wakes at the same time as well ::) i've tried cutting down naps etc but didn't work!!! will keep an eye on this post to see what other people say.
nice to know someone else is up at the same time as me LOL

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 13:47:49 pm »
How long has she been waking at 5:30 and how long has her am nap been 45 minutes?

Offline Alia's mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Alia 28.03.2005, Eli 08.09.07
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 21:36:58 pm »
We should start our very own very early morning club!!  Alia likes that time 2!!! lucky tired us!!

Offline Carys' mom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 21:49:34 pm »
Unfortunately, we're even earlier - our 16-month-old dd likes to wake up at 5am  >:(. It sure is taking a toll on us, and we haven't found a solution yet either. Plus, she's only taking one nap a day now (between 1.5 to 2 hours). We've tried moving the bedtime both earlier and later, but neither has worked. Ugh. Any solutions are welcome!

Thanks...
Melanie
Mom to Carys Elizabeth (2/15/05) and Joshua August (8/16/07)

Offline Alison_3

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 00:50:54 am »
Ah, those early wakings!  We're still struggling with them, but we've managed 6:00 two days in a row.  I was so excited!  Tomorrow will probably be the usual 5:15 though!

Jacobs mum-  maybe start moving the morning nap to later in the morning.  My son is 20 months old now, but if I can remember, I think I tried to push back the morning nap.  I think someone told me or I read that allowing your child to take an early a.m. nap just feeds the early waking.  We are finally at one nap right at noon.  I think that is why my little guy is now sleeping later.  Before he would take 45 minute naps no matter what!

Good luck!

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

andibig

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 05:38:23 am »
our 16-month-old dd likes to wake up at 5am >:(. It sure is taking a toll on us, and we haven't found a solution yet either. Plus, she's only taking one nap a day now (between 1.5 to 2 hours). We've tried moving the bedtime both earlier and later, but neither has worked.
:( i had hope until i saw your post!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
think DDs been reading this site in secret as shes had a couple of lie ins. :o

Just wondering if they have a support thread for early wakers. think we could all do with one!! sorry jacobs mummy.......taking over your post!!

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 15:46:05 pm »
My only thought is that 8:30 is an awfully early naptime.  You may want to try pushing the nap back a bit to see if that helps with wakeup time.  I found with my dd the nap time was not only dependent on wakeup time but also bedtime--in your case he is napping just over 12 hours from the time he went to bed and is only sleeping about 9.5 hours at night.  I think in Ferber's book --which does has some good information on how to solve sleep problems such as scheduling as long as you use BW techniques! to do it-- he describes a similar situation where what had happened was that last sleep cycle had essentially been hived off the night sleep and was now being taken as a very early morning nap.  He suggests pushing the nap back closer to 10 o'clock. in 15 minute increments over a few days.  If you find that he then doesn't want the pm nap you may have to keep pushing the nap back until he is sleeping around noon.  HTH 

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 21:21:29 pm »
Just wondering if they have a support thread for early wakers. think we could all do with one!! sorry jacobs mummy.......taking over your post!!

Me, me!  Can I join?!?  I have been waking every morning at 5 am to Nathan singing "EIEIO" through the monitor.   :-\  I don't get him until 7, and luckily he spends that two hours signing and playing, and occassionally resting, but he never goes back to sleep.  And it makes for very cranky days.  Sighhhh.  I think I will spend the afternoon trying to completely darken his room (we already have black-out shades, but they don't keep the lit at the edges out, KWIM?)  I also think he is waking hungry since he eats a good breakfast at 7, so maybe I will try a snack before bed. 

I keep telling DH that one day, it will be 10 am, and we will be yelling at our teenager to get up already!  ;)
Sheila
ng

andibig

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 08:48:45 am »
I keep telling DH that one day, it will be 10 am, and we will be yelling at our teenager to get up already! ;)
Quote (selected)
i am so waiting for that day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
DD usually wakes up going Dada (shame HES still asleep ::))

Offline kellyann

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 16:46:21 pm »
Just wanted to jump in and say we are in the same boat.  My boys have been waking once again at 5am for the last 3 days.  I'm exhausted!  We have tried the earlier bedtime and later bedtime in the past and once we will get a good schedule (6am wake up) for a few days and then back to 5am.  I'm so jealous of the tots that sleep until 7 or 8 am.  I'd even settle for 6am everyday.  Just wanted to vent!  Happy 4th of July!!!

Kelly
Kelly :)

Mom to twin boys-
Brandon Thomas  7/2/04
Brayden James    7/2/04

andibig

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 16:59:24 pm »
ladies
just wanted to tell you that on the general sleep forum there is now a support thread for us bleary eyed mums ;D its called the wide wake club