Author Topic: Still jumping up after weeks of PD!  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Still jumping up after weeks of PD!
« on: June 20, 2006, 08:07:18 am »
I am still having issues with putting H to bed. I have gone down the route of gradual withdrawal and toddler pd. When I put him to bed he jumps up as if it was a game, I go back in the room, lay him down walk out again. This only happens 2 or 3 times and he is usually asleep within 20/30 minutes, but it means I can't put him to bed and leave him.

When he stands up, he just waits, he doesn't cry and I don't think he would just lay down. Presumably if I left him long enough he might cry out, but I think that would just prolong him going to sleep and then if I went in I would be reinforcing his crying for me?!

Any suggestions as to where I go from here?

Any advice gratefully received!

Justine

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: Still jumping up after weeks of PD!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 16:39:05 pm »
Hey Justine, I'm sorry to hear that HArrison is being such a monkey ;)...

I also sleep trained with Gradual Withdrawal and when things started to get better i restorted to wi/wo, because ds was acting exactly like Harrison, he would jump up and would start chattering and throwing stuffed animals out of the crib. I calmly told him game time was over, mommy loves you but is going to sleep now, kiss good night, blessing and out of the door i was. The first 10-15 mins he was ok but then he started crying for me. I did wi/wo and i don't think i reinforced him crying for me, he understood pretty well that it was no playing time and he was not going to get any more company or peekaboo... it was just bed time and since he was already sleep trained, it didn't take more than a couple of days to get fixed. I beleive this will happen with Harrison cause he's already got good sleep habits.

HTH and let us know about your progress! HUGS and good luck!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 17:35:57 pm »
Thanks Florencia, I will give that a go. I am just going to get him over the last few days overtiredness - a couple of early nights hopefully, then will do wo/wi. As you say he has been sleep trained, he does know what to "do". Perhaps I re-inforce it - when he wakes in the night - i often go in and stay until he is asleep. I find this to be the quickest method of getting him back to sleep, but I will do wo/wi with these wakings too ( as long as not sick etc!)

Will keep you posted!

Justine

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 20:50:13 pm »
Justine  I get Margot to stay lying down by tucking her animals and babies in all around her.  If she starts roaming around the crib I remind her that her babies need tucked and she lies down.  she's absolutely crazy about her dollies so she usually complies pretty quickly.  Not sure if you can use the same approach with your little man Harrison...   

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 06:57:52 am »
Caroline, I wish......Harrison has no real favorites - is a thumb sucker for comfort and has resisted all attemps to introduce a "lovey".

Last night beat all - took 50 minutes to settle ( a record!) then he was up at 11.30, 2.45, 4.45 and finally 5.45am! I stuck to my new approach, just laid him down said night night and left and that was that - I didn't hear him again. I can't think that caused the multiple wakings, but I can't remember the last time he woke so many times, normally it's only once - so have no idea what was going on! I had given him meds before bed and that normally sees him through if sick so hopefully just overtiredness (8 hours or so previous night).

Fingers crossed for tonight!

Justine

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 14:11:11 pm »
Justine--sorry about the rough go last night.  Hopefully he'll be too tired to jump up tonight!  Good luck!