Author Topic: How long are your bottle feeds?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Jenny_Jen

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Mommy to Hayden, Born April 9th, 2006! 6 lbs 7 oz!
How long are your bottle feeds?
« on: June 20, 2006, 11:49:37 am »
My LO (10 weeks) only takes about 6 -10 mins for a feed & then he's done.  He's taking between 3-4 oz every 3 hours.  I have tried different flow nipples but he seems to do best with the slow flow.  In Tracey's book I'm pretty sure I read that feeds should take over 20 mins & if they are shorter than use a slower flow nipple which I am already using & even if I try to give him a "break" for 10 mins or so he will have nothing to do with the bottle & will either push it away or start crying when I try to re-introduce it.  He also refuses to cluster feed.  He will only eat it seems when his stomach is empty.

I can't figure out how to get more calories into him during the day since he's still waking at 2 am & 5 am for feeds in the middle of the night.  I would really like to somehow cut out the 2 am waking, I feel like I haven't slept in years & it's starting to take it's toll.

Any ideas out there?

TIA.

Offline ponyboy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 12:06:59 pm »
Hi.

Could you try giving him more than 3-4oz if he is draining the bottles maybe he needs more hoperfully that will stop one of the night feeds.  Not sure how to slow him down though, sorry not much help really.

Offline Katie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 99
    • Franzone Family Blog
Re: How long are your bottle feeds?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 12:12:51 pm »
hi tia

my dd also only takes 10 mins to drink her bottle she is 11 weeks and at 8 weeks i changed her to the size 3 teats (we use avent bottles) because she was becoming really fussy and not drinking much now she drinks 5 - 6oz every 3 hours during the day and i do a dreamfeed at 10.30 then she wakes between 4am and 6am if  anything before 6am i treat as a night feed but if it's after 6am i start her day :)  i don't know if this info will help you at all this is just what has worked for me  :) but for me changing her teat size got heaps more into her :)

hope u get some sleep soon

Katie

Offline Jenny_Jen

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 14:42:02 pm »
Quote (selected)
Could you try giving him more than 3-4oz if he is draining the bottles

Sorry I should have said that he's not draining the bottles. There is still formula in them & I can't get him to finish it off.

When I tried him on fast flow nipple he really fussed, they are to fast for him.  He doesn't fuss with the slow flow nipples just eats really fast (I'm using the playtex liners).  I've tried different bottles (He won't take the advent ones), different nipples & nothing works.

Offline jumblebox

• Lisa (Rilen's mom)
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • water fun!
    • RilenBlog
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 12:53:55 pm »
Our 3mo DS has always fed very quickly with us. We figured out that he takes about 1oz/min! :o He also insists on taking his entire feeding w/o a break. When he started taking 5+ oz/bottle, we tried stopping halfway through to burp him, and he would first cry, thinking we weren't going to feed him enough, and after burping he would refuse any more milk. Now he takes up to 7-8oz w/o a break!

When my DP's mom came to visit (he was 2-3 wks old at the time), I noticed he ate much more slowly for her, and was more likely to finish the bottle. She was always very relaxed and happy, so maybe that was the difference. (Our LO pretty much screamed 8 hrs/day for his first 6 weeks. Needless to say, neither of us was very relaxed or happy at the time.)

How much does your LO weigh? How many oz does he take in a typical day? Does he seem really hungry at 3 hrs (rooting, etc), or does it seem like he just eats because you're offering it? I know it's a little early, but our DS started stretching out his feeds at about 9-10 weeks. By 11 wks, we were pretty much forced to move to 4 hr, because he wouldn't eat much any earlier. He just turned 3 mo, and he won't eat ANYTHING at 3 hrs and will only take 1-3 oz at 3.5 hrs. He was 13lbs 4oz at his 2 mo checkup, so he's probably over 15 lbs, now.

Maybe you could experiment with a slightly longer time between feedings, to see if he'll take more per feeding. Before going to the trouble of transitioning to 3.5 hr EASY, you could just do about 15 min of A time before you feed him (making his feed 15 min later than usual), then still put him down for naps at the same time? See if he eats any more at the later feedings? I'm sure people who have more experience with EASY could give better advice about whether or not extending your routine would help. This is just what worked for us.
- Lisa (37)
DP=darling boyfriend/partner=Shane (26)
LO/DS= Rilen Christopher (Spirited: 3/21/06)
St Louis, MO US

Offline Jenny_Jen

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 21:01:37 pm »
That's the frustrating thing about him, he doesn't conform to any schedule I set or he sets.  Tues morning he woke @ 9 am (he woke at 6 am for a feed of 3 oz & went back to bed, I've tried keeping him up, it doesn't work), he didn't take a bottle until 12:30 that afternoon (I offered it to him numerous times) & then ate every 2.5-3 hrs after that.

Yesterday he woke at 9 am & ate right away (3 oz) & continued on every 3 hours after that.

This morning woke at 9 am & didn't take his first bottle until 10:30 am (was fed at 5:30 am 4 oz).

He is all over the map.  I always make a bottle for him for his 9 am wake up but 1/2 the time he doesn't want it or will only take an oz.  Sometimes he's hungry after 2 hours, sometimes it's 3 hrs, sometimes it's 4 hours, etc,  He will cry like he's hungry & freak out until I give him a bottle & then he'll take an ounce & not want it anymore.  He will push it away, & freak out if I try to continue feeding him & as soon as I stop trying he is as happy as can be.  Some days he will only take 12 oz & then the next day he'll take 30 oz over 24 hours.   ???

In almost 11 weeks of having him here I have yet to figure him out when it comes to feeding.  He was at the Dr's 2 weeks ago (8 week apt) & he weighed 11 lbs 9 oz so he's probably close to 12 lbs now.