Author Topic: 14 month old staying up late  (Read 7120 times)

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 14 month old staying up late
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2006, 01:24:29 am »
My only comment would be the "always"... I know someone whose dc can't leave their bedroom before 7am, that rule has been in place for years (since 18mo I think) ... but if that dc wakes up early even if she is crying out/ crying carrying on all she gets told is "it isn't 7 you can't come out" Now of course the child knows they can't come out no matter what.
If he is happy playing on his own then that is great, gives a break to all ;) & teaches independence too... but when they get upset I think it negates it all & then is a problem as you send a mixed message about "rest & relaxation" KWIM

On the 12.5 hours, I read an article on sleep needs a while back & it  said, some children (mostly boys) tend to be "low sleep needs"  or "high sleep needs" compared to the "average" , while girls tend to fall closer to average.... so sounds like he is a low sleep need child
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline twins_2005

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2006, 02:41:47 am »
Hi Katet,

That's interesting about the article you read. It seems to match what's going on with my kids at least. :)

Yes, I agree with you about the "always" part. Oops, I didn't mean it so definitively.  ;D My kids play quietly and contently in their rooms after they get up from their naps -- a true blessing (hopefully, one that will last a while longer ;) ). When they sound uncomfortable, are crying, etc. (which is quite rare), I go to them/get them out... because it does defeat the purpose of resting. Plus, they cry so infrequently when they are in their rooms, that I always figure that something must be wrong when they do cry.

I did find that the extra rest got them through the hump of transitioning to one nap though. Earlier, I'd feel guilty leaving them in their room for the extra rest. But when I saw the great benefit the rest had on their mood and on their ability to sleep only once in the day, I became a believer in resting. It really turned things around for my kids (especially my son) during the transition.

Thanks for your input once again!