Author Topic: Wont EAT!  (Read 1277 times)

Offline nickyd76

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 20, 2006, 21:00:17 pm »
Hi

My 2 and half yr old won't eat, shes always had eating problems but over the weeks its getting worse by the day. I have taken her to the doctors numerous time but they don't seem to want to know. I'm at my wits end, i have tried smaller meals, more meals through the day etc...

My daughter cries most of the day and is tired a lot, she is very good at communicating and keeps telling me she feels poorly. When I speak to the doctor or health visitor they just keep telling me the same old thing if she active most of the day don't worry, but its easier said than done. I'm not sure where to turn and finding it very stressful.

Any advice or am I over reacting?

Many thanks

Nicky

Offline mari

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
Re: Wont EAT!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 21:12:45 pm »
You are not over reacting but be careful not to give this too much attention (easier said than done) as she might start to enjoy it. 
I childmind and I look after a little girl who won't eat, her mother is at her wits end (me too sometimes, it's so worrying and frustrating) She often complains of a tummy ache, her mum took her to the doctors, same thing, she's active, don't worry.
She will eat any amount of biscuits and sweets though so I definitely never offer them.
I just sit her down at the table with the others to eat the same as them. (I made the mistake of giving her the choice of food for a week, we all had spaghetti on toast for 5 days!!! and she still wouldn't eat it) She did try brocolli the other day and liked it (success).  Most of the foods she tells me that she doesn't like she has never even seen before, let alone tried them so I do a deal, try it first and if you still don't like it then you can leave it.  She is not as bad, but there is still room for improvement, but try not to give her the same thing all the time, we tend to serve some things if they like them day after day and they grow tired of them then.  Keep serving different foods and even if she says she doesn't like them, try again a bit later. Even if she doesn't eat them, she will eventually when they become familiar to her and she realises that there is nothing else.
Hope that you will be able to persevere, its so hard but hang in there.

I would also have another chat to your health visitor about the tiredness and crying, just to be sure.

Offline nickyd76

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 21:44:13 pm »
Thanks Mari

Any advice is great, sometimes I feel like I'm going mad but it good to hear its not just me, I've tried doing different foods but theres no harm in trying again, she just shows no interst in food - whatever i looks like or what ever colour it easier I even get the teddies involved with eating which sometimes works - she does like sweet things but she doesn't get them often - I've swapped sweets for Yogurt which used to be her favourite but she even gone off that!

Really appreciate your advice

Nicky

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 06:14:36 am »
Not sure of your location, but have you seen the BBC programme "Honey we are Killing the Kids" Families with major issues that I am sure you don't come close too but with the eating she really pushes them to keep at it but don't give in, put the food in front of them and if they don't eat it there is no more, they will soon realise that they must at least try it and when they do they very often like it. That's what I tried and it's sort of working, don't kn ow what happens at home but here she is better.
Good luck

Offline ~Faye~

• A TRUE FRIEND IS SOMEONE WHO SEES THE PAIN IN YOUR EYES WHILE EVERYONE ELSE BELIEVES THE FAKE SMILE .
  • Showing Appreciation 369
  • If life hands you lemons ask for tequila and salt!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 06:31:56 am »
Nicky,

I just wanted to send you {{{HUGS}}}. We have been going through a similar problem with DS he is 15 months and stopped eating but we are getting there again. It will get better.

Faye :-*
Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy
http://postnatalillness.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Offline workingmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 06:38:12 am »
The advice we have received from child health nurses and paeditrician for our fussy 16mo DS is very similar. Don't offer anything else if the first food is refused. Our DS would eat fruit at day care but not at home. Then he stopped eating fruit and daycare because he knew biscuits were coming. In addition we are careful not to turn mealtimes into a battle. He eats or he doesn't, it's ok for him to play with food, and we just go with the flow. We have been trying this advice for about 2 weeks with some definite success, although we have a way to go. We were also advised to cut back on his milk as he seemed to filling up on this, and also to give some mulitvitamins - not just to supplement what he's missing out on, but also to stimulate his appetite. I would get medical advice on this first, but for us the combination of strategies is starting to work.

Good luck,
Melanie
Mum of Jack, Feb 2005,
baby no 2 due Oct 2006,
Brisbane Australia.