Author Topic: Grazing on bottles affecting sleep?  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Vivismomma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 26, 2006, 01:35:25 am »
Hello Everyone,

I have a multi-faceted issue going on with my 14.5 mo DD.  I have posted on the Toddler Sleep message boards, and their advice helped me to a point, but they guided me here for some more specific advice.

My DD is a grazer, and I think it affecting her sleep- or lack-thereof.

My DD, Vienna, has never finished a bottle, does not eat the amount of food “they” suggest, but eats/drinks nearly every hour or two through the day, and at least every four hours through the night.  There is a possible psychological aspect to it as well, so I’ve posted our long history as another post after this.  Please, if you think you can help, please read on!

Now I’m frustrated, confused and sleep-deprived.  Not to mention 7.5 mo pregnant!  I want her to sleep through the night, but I’m worried she isn’t eating enough, and therefore is, truly, hungry throughout the night.  I would love for her to only have the bottle three times a day- or less.   It just seems like a far away dream!! 

Her Schedule (usually…) and typical meals:
6am wakeup, bottle: 2-3oz
7am breakfast: 1 egg (doesn’t finish), 1-2oz yogurt
*sometimes asks for bottle*
9am snack:  fruit- 2 strawberries, for instance, and ½ c cottage cheese (may finish)
1030 Nap: bottle before going down: 1-2oz.  Does not fall asleep with bottle.
1230 Up: bottle, 1-2oz.
1pm  Lunch: 1oz organic turkey deli meat, 1/8c peas with butter (usually doesn’t finish)
3pm  Snack: ½ slice gluten-free bread, ½ Tbsp peanut or almond butter, slices of apple
5pm Dinner: ½ chicken thigh, 2-4 baby carrots, slices of onion, celery- all sautéed in olive oil.  Maybe some gluten-free pasta.  (Doesn’t usually finish)
6-630 Bedtime: bottle before bed, 1-2 oz.

Recent typical wakeups at 10pm, 1am, 4am.

Thanks in advance!
Shauna

Offline Vivismomma

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 01:38:15 am »
A not-so-Brief History of our Problem:
After she was born, I had some difficulties with breastfeeding, and I think it got my supply off to a rough start.  Vienna nursed around the clock, but was not gaining weight the way she should have been.   I was checked out by LLL, my midwives, a lactation consultant at the nearest hospital- all of them said her latch was great, we were nursing “long enough,” and there should be no problems.  But it took DD six weeks to regain back to birth weight. 
At six weeks, I had started to pump, due to the preparation for returning to work, and had a four ounce bottle.  I thought, “well, let’s see if she’ll take to a bottle.”  She downed it in less than a few minutes, and for the very first time, she had the satisfied, “milk-drunk” look of a happy, well-fed baby.  OMG, she’s been hungry this whole time.
I kept on with BF, but supplemented with a bottle.  She never took more than 3-4 ounces after she had nursed both sides.
She lost interest in BF around 8 mo, and I found out I was pregnant, so I wasn’t surprised.  But- she still continues to not take more than 4 oz (usually) at a sitting.  She has finished 6-8oz only- maybe- three times her whole life.

Even after starting solids, she still continues to want her bottle in between meals- sometimes right after a meal, in fact.  But, it’s just sip, sip, and off running to the next adventure.

She wasn’t eating very much at meals, so several months ago, DH and I started watering down bottles in between meals.  It helped somewhat, as she did start eating more, but not nearly what several books, including BW books have stated as “average” diet for a 12 mo child.  She signs, and tells us “all done” and will start throwing food on the floor to get her point across.  Sometimes she’ll eat a few more bites, but not finish the meal.  Within an hour, she asks for her bottle.

To add in the sleep aspect, she’s only rarely slept straight through the night.  At 12 months, she was waking up, on average, 1-2 times, with sleeping straight through about once a week.  Now, after molars have started to appear and a few schedule interferences, she’s waking 3-4x a night, no sleep-throughs.  The only way to get her back to sleep is to give a bottle, which she’ll take up to 3oz, and goes right back to sleep.  We had started to water down her nighttime bottles, too, and I think it was helping.  After chatting with the Sleep forum ladies, they thought she might actually NEED those calories, and so we went back to full strength.

I’m wondering if this is a combination of habit and hunger, but also a psychological need to know there is food always available, since she was hungry constantly through the first 6-7 weeks of her life!  She’s never been a pacifier baby- she get’s mad that it doesn’t give her something…  ::) I still feel slightly guilty over it- but I know that there was no way to have known- my midwives, the GP, the lactation consultant, all were amazed at how bright-eyed and alert (not to mention not sleeping) she was for being so young.  They thought she was just using up calories faster than she could take them in!

If anyone has any thought, please help us! 
Thanks, Shauna :)

Offline Paulsmama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 04:18:26 am »
Hi, I feel your pain, we have nightwakings with 15 mo DS but I am only 6 mos preg!  I hope things improve for you soon.
Looking at your menu, I don't think your DD eats much less volume-wise than my 27 lb DS, but maybe try higher-calorie food in the daytime?  I realize if there's a gluten allergy you may be limited.  If not milk then maybe more yogurt/cheese.  You might go back to watering down the nighttime bottles to try to get a bit more in during the day.  I was worried that my DS turned into a snacker and would wake hungry at night when we went to one nap but I think it has more to do with the age -- he's so busy he can't be bothered to eat big meals.  He barely eats dinner anymore but wolfs down a ton at breakfast.  I've actually been cutting down on his milk to try to get him a more varied diet and stop nighttime diaper leaks.  Are you using pain meds for the teething?  We didn't for a long time but when we have, (knock on wood) DS is down to one nightwaking around the time the meds wear off (7-8 hrs later). 

Here's what DS would eat on a typical day:
7 -- 6oz bottle
7:30 -- 1/4c baby oatmeal mixed with 4oz stage 2 fruit, 1-2 Tbsp scrambled egg, some waffle or muffin, some watered down OJ
9:30 -- 1/2 toddler size fruit & cereal bar, small de-salted pretzel sticks
11:15 -- 4 oz stage 2 veg, small piece of fish, some veggie chips, 1/2 a 4 oz yogurt
2:30 -- rest of yogurt, rest of snack bar, crackers, maybe some banana, milk in straw cup (2-3 oz)
(somewhere in here maybe couple of de-salted pretzel sticks or toddler cookies if he gets fussy)
5:30 -- 4 oz stage 2 veg, turkey meatball, cheese toast (doesn't eat much), milk in straw cup (refusing)
6:45 -- 5.5 oz bottle
Cynthia

Paul--spirited/March 2005
Joseph--touchy-textbook??/Sept 2006

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Re: Grazing on bottles affecting sleep?
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 17:49:12 pm »
Ds normally eats ok, but when he is "down" on amounts, I knock down snacks to a minimum, and sometimes altogether, and tend to bulk up the meals a bit more. So he will get two dinners that he likes, followed by rice pudding etc. Also for a while I would get up early and give him breakfast before milk, which definately fills them up too much!

A typical morning snack for DS would be a handful of raisins to get him through to an early lunch. Similar mid-afternoon.

HTH ( a bit)

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Grazing on bottles affecting sleep?
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 00:01:44 am »
At that age our ds (now 2) didn't eat the "recommended" amounts of food either and he got alot of his calories from bottles too.  I do remember though that giving him just a 4 oz bottle when he woke in the morning delayed his appetite for solids considerably.  Even though it was only 4 oz, once I got rid of it per the doctors advice he ate a much better breakfast and lunch.  That being said he didn't start eating "normal" amounts until he was about 18 months so like you I let him graze, eating as much as possible through out the day.  At night I gave him pediasure because he wasn't eating enough.   I also at times cut out snacks before meals because he will not eat if he has had what would be a small snack for most kids.  As for night feeds, at her age I think if she needs them then let her have them.  As long as their is at least 4 hours between her last bottle and breakfast time then give her the extra calories.  Its hard to know if she wakes due to hunger or habit.  It will get better and she will start eating more.  At that age I used to think, how will I ever get ds off a bottle - he hardly eats!  Still to this day he eats enough for him to gain weight appropriately, he NEVER eats a ton, unless he is truly hungry.  Good luck!
Julie

Offline Vivismomma

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 00:50:48 am »
Thank you, everyone!

I think I will be gradually watering down the night time bottles again- just to see if it helps.  Also, per your advice, I'll try the limiting or cutting out of snacks.  We'll see how it all goes.  It's hard to know where to begin, but I think those suggestions will help us a lot!

Any other thoughts, keep them coming!
Thanks!