Author Topic: 16 mo's sudden drop in milk consumption  (Read 1416 times)

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
16 mo's sudden drop in milk consumption
« on: June 21, 2006, 04:01:51 am »
My little one just came out of hospital with pneumonia.  She is pretty good now. 

DD does not eat as much as she used to and despite being excited about milk, she drinks a lot less of it.  That's my main concern.  She seems to be getting enough fluids in terms of wet nappies (although now she doesn't have a 200ml bottle of milk before bed her nappy when she wakes up is not as full - still wet but not full) and she's drinking water fine, but it worries me! I don't know if she either doesn't need it, or if she avoids having milk at night because it means bedtime. 

I guess being obsessed with fluids while she was sick (and the threat of having to try AGAIN to put an IV bung in her arm) has rubbed off!

She has only woken up once in the middle of the night hungry out of 3 nights home. 

Any suggestions?
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Re: 16 mo's sudden drop in milk consumption
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 17:50:57 pm »
How much is she taking in the day?  I would be a little worried if you feel she is getting dehydrated but if you feel she is getting enough in the day then I wouldn't worry.  Just keep offereing it to her before bed and if she doesn't want it then oh well.  I remember my son at 15months did not want his night bottle before bed for a few weeks.  We would bring it out and he would avoid it so we just put it in an area he could see it and if he wanted it he would go and get it.  Now he is back to wanting it.  Maybe the milk at night in her tummy doesnt' feel good??  Does she have a snack before bed as well - you could try a combo of both - that's what we do.  And if we offer and he doesn't want it we dont' worry.
Just make sure her fluids in the day are enough.

Offline mum101

• Char
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 03:53:12 am »
she used to take 500+ ml a day. now shw is lucky to get 300mls. 
she doesn't seem to drink  a lot more water to fill a fluid gap.
it worries me as its coincided with her being in hospital.  ???

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 19:01:35 pm »
I was just trying to convert - so 300mls - is that like 1.5 bottles of milk in the day?  Sorry I stink with converting.  Add up all the liquids she is taking in the day - water/juice/milk and then see if she is getting enough.  Watered down juice will more than likely get her going with liquids and then maybe she will start with the milk again.  If her diapers are getting dryer and she is not drinking I would go back to the doctor or call telehealth and see what they think.
Good luck I know it can be concerning.

Offline mum101

• Char
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 02:26:17 am »
Hi,
I have a bottle with both measurements, so here goes!..

I estimate she has probably a bit less than 12oz (360mL) of water a day, and 10 1/2oz (300mL) of milk per day.  Does that sound like a good amount?

I have been avoiding juice (even diluted) as she seems to love it, and I think she will work out that it's much better than water and only drink juice!  She had a bit at hospital, which was a god-send as it was novel and 'yummy'!

Over the last few days I think she's evening out in terms of her fluids and food, and while her nappy in the morning is not as full as it used to be, she has wet nappies for the rest of the day.  I think she's working to switching to more food and less milk.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 13:59:16 pm »
I believe the recommendation at that age is 16 ounces milk, I've heard minimum of 12. If you cut back on the water a bit would your DD take more milk? Or can you subsitute with yogurt (which my Ped is a 1-1 exchange for milk) or some cheese or both to get her calcium rich foods/dairy?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline mum101

• Char
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 09:15:15 am »
Hi Marissa's Mum,
She does have yogurt and cheese, thank God! 
Is the 16oz recommendation in relation to how much calcium they need?

char

Offline mum101

• Char
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 03:51:13 am »
Thanks for your replies! 
As an update, DD is getting back to more milk and actually eating more food!
I'd say she's just readjusted to being back home.