Author Topic: used to sleep through the night, but not now  (Read 966 times)

Offline toriaum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
used to sleep through the night, but not now
« on: June 21, 2006, 13:47:15 pm »
I'm alittle bit confused and unsure of myself here...

My DD had been sleeping through the night since she was 8 weeks.  IN the last two weeks, she's stopped sleeping through the night.  She's waking 2-4 times during the night.  In addition, she used to be on a 8am/8pm routine but she's waking earlier in the morning.  Yesterday she was up at 7am but I couldn't get her to fall asleep till 8:30pm, today 6am.  She'll go back to sleep relatively easy ( shush patting and sucking on her pacifier) but I'm just not sure why she's been doing this.  I know that compared to some babies, this is not a huge problem, but my DD never had these issues before.  THe other thing is there's a lot of possible factors but I'm not sure if they could be the cause or not.

At 16 weeks,  my DD caught her first cold and we went to my mom's house for a week.  Because of her cold and being in a different place, DD stoped sleeping through the night.   Now, back at home she's continued her night wakings. 

We've moved her to her crib in her own room this week as the bassinett no longer works out. 

She's also rolled over so we're trying to transition out of the swaddle as I'm afraid she'll roll and not be able to use her arms.  She did alright with one arm out and last night, both arms were left out.  I think she was cold though last night but I had her in a long sleeved onsie and pajamas.  I've ordered a Gro Bag but it won't arrive till next week. 

I know I may need to wean her paci, but I thought it would be better right now to keep it as it provides comfort in different situations.  SHe only has it for sleep times and it falls out as she falls into deep sleep.

The short nw's where I just put her pacifier back in and she goes back to sleep is not much of my concern as the early morning wakes.  FOr these she's resistant to go back to sleep and I'm not sure if it's hunger  or if she's napping too long during the day?  I'd appreciate any input.  Below are more details.

How old is your child? 19 Weeks (17 lbs)
What’s his/her daily routine?
E 8am bf
A 8:15
S 10am (2 hours)
E 12pm bf
A 12:15pm
S 2:30pm ( 1.5-2 hours)
E 4pm sometimes 4:30pm
A 4:30
S ? Usually around 6:30 ( 45 min)
A Bath
E 7:30/8pm bf
S 8-8:30pm

What’s nap routine?
I take her to the nursery, swaddle her, shush pat in upright position for 2-3 minutes ( she normally resists this but calms once I put her in the crib)
THen, place her in the crib on her side and continue shushpat for 2-3 mintues more.  (It depends on her state, if she's fighting the nap, I'll shushpat longer. SOmetimes I can just put her down she'll go off on her own

How long are naps? Usually 2 hours ( if she wakes cranky or crying, I'll try to get her back to sleep, if she wakes cooing and calm, I'll take her out. I don't let naps go longer than 2 hours though
What's bedtime routine? We have a bath, then feed then some chat time and she's off to bed
Do you bottle or breastfed?? bf
How much? or how long? Feeds take about 10 minutes.  Usually 6 on one side, 4 on the other.  SHe's started to be really efficient.  She always ends feeds as she becomes very annoyed if she's full and won't eat more

How many wakes per night? Now 2-3
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? Usually in the late night, she wakes up crying arms flailing hardly even seems awake.  IN the early morning ( 5-7am) she wakes up cooing.  But i've waited to see if she'll go back to sleep on her own and she always starts crying. 
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?
What have you tried to settle?? To settle, I put the paci back in her mouth.  If that calms her down, I'll leave.  If she's still fussing or just wide awake, I'll shush pat her with her lying on her side in the crib
What do you do for A time and how long is it? We alternate playing on her Activity mat (Gimini), playing with toys in her highchair, errands in the car( although I try to keep it to one outing a day) tummy time, books and occasional walks (it's really hot in FL now)  We usually spend 1.5 on activity time.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? Yes, I do believe she's teething although no teeth yet, but lots of drool and gumming everything.
Have you introduced cereal? NOt yet, although I'm planning on doing next week
Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? pacifier
Do they have a lovie?stuffed elephant

Offline linfran

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Re: used to sleep through the night, but not now
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 19:38:21 pm »
Hi!  It sounds like it could be teeth.  My lo is 18 weeks and for about three weeks before his first teeth appeared, he was waking up to six times a night when he'd previously slept right through 11-12 hours no problem and had slept a minimum of 9 hours a night from 6 weeks.

The fact that she's drooling and trying to chew sounds familiar too.