Author Topic: Too Many Night Wakings  (Read 1728 times)

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
Too Many Night Wakings
« on: June 17, 2006, 12:22:09 pm »
Hi,

My DS is almost 4 months old.  He used to wake just to feed, but for the past month he has been waking more and more frequently.  I lost count last night it was so many times.  Sometimes we had to reswaddle him, sometimes we gave him the pacifier, always the shh-pat in combination with the swaddling/paci.  He would go to sleep but be back up again anywhere from 1/2 hour to 2 hours later.  I only fed him once as I was pretty sure it was not hunger waking him.   I feel like he doesn't know how to self soothe. 

I am thinking it is time to stop swaddling him as he gets himself unwrapped so much but his arms freak him out.  He can't learn to hold a stuffed animal or blanket, or suck on his fingers, etc with his arms in and he is not staying asleep anyway.

Here is is rough daytime routine:

7:30 - Wake feed (breastfeed)
8:00 - 9:00 - Activity  (Dress, Mobile, Swing)
9:00 -10:30/11:00 - Nap
11:00 - Feed
11:30-12:30 - Activity
12:30 - 2:00 - Nap
2:00 - Feed
2:30-4:00 - Activity
4:00-4:45 - Nap (sometimes in the car/stroller if I'm doing errands)
5:00 - Feed
5:30-7:10 - Activity
7:10 - Get ready for bed Feed - in bed by 7:30

I tried the DF but it seemed to make things worse (if that's possible).

Am I missing something?  Our DD never liked swaddling and slept 10 hours a night starting at about 14-15 weeks so we are at a loss of what to do with our DS.

Help!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Too Many Night Wakings
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 23:56:21 pm »
I think that your routine looks pretty good, although I would tweak it a bit. I suspect he's getting overtired. The 2:3-4:00 is a rather long A time and the 4-4:45 nap is rather short. I would make that A time 2:30 to 3:30 or maybe even 3:15, and nap 3:30 until 5, and move bedtime to 7:00.

As far as the swaddle goes, it can be hard to tell if it's better to keep at it or get rid of it. Do you think he doesn't like it, is that why he's getting out? Or is he just doing it?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline M and N's Mom

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 22:15:09 pm »
I think he likes the swaddle, but he is becoming much more active (he kicks a lot and has started rolling over when he is awake and he is not quite 4 months yet) so I think he wakes up and begins squirming and then gets unhappy when he becomes unswaddled.  The other night we had to rewrap him 3+ times. 

I tried leaving 1 arm out last night and giving him a stuffed animal to hold.  I'm hoping he will learn to self-soothe by holding the stuffed animal or sucking his hand or something.  It wasn't too bad for the first night.  When he woke he seemed to "complain" for a while rather than full crying right away.  Of the many wakings he actually put himself back to sleep once, which was a first.

Here's hoping for a better night tonight!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 22:23:38 pm »
What are you using to swaddle? Sounds like you need something tough, like a kiddopotamus wrap or miracle blanket. Or, have you tried the Aussie swaddle?
Jessica

Offline M and N's Mom

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 23:33:12 pm »
I am just using a receiving blanket...actually 2 sewn together so it is bigger.  I did buy a kiddopotamus wrap (paid too much for it since they won't ship to Canada) and used it one night.  Since it is stretchy material, he was able to loosen it even more  >:(  Although he couldn't get out of it, he could get it too loose and still woke up crying to be rewrapped.  What is the Aussie swaddle?

Also, on days when the routine is off, do you adjust bedtime accordingly?  Today we had a big family gathering and his last nap worked out to be 2:45-4:30 but then he was overtired by the 7:00 bedtime.  Should I have tried to put him to bed earlier?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 04:09:00 am »
Here is a link to the instructions on the aussie swaddle - it sounds like it might be really helpful for you. Their hands end up sort of under their chin so they can suck a finger, thumb, the wrap, or whatever.
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=1439.0

As far as adjusting your routine, IMO that depends on the lo. Some can handle some variation in their routine no problem, and others can't handle 5 minutes. If your lo was overtired to the point where he couldn't sleep, then definitely put him down earlier. If he was just extra tired rather than overtired, then I would stick to the routine.
Jessica

Offline M and N's Mom

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 11:32:42 am »
Thanks, I will look up that Aussie swaddle.  However, the one arm out thing seems to be working, so far anyway.  He actually slept through the night last night!!!!!  He woke at 5:15 to eat.  He was wide awake when I put him back in his crib and he talked for about an hour and then went back to sleep.  I woke him to start the morning routine.

I'm hoping last night wasn't a fluke...too bad I was awake waiting for him for a while  :-\

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 16:30:22 pm »
Wow, that's wonderful! I hope it keeps up!
Jessica

Offline M and N's Mom

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 16:45:09 pm »
Well...unfortunately we only got one night through the night  ???

I was wondering, I have read about trying to increase calories during the day if they are hungry at night.  I would like to try to get a 6th feeding in during the day (I am breastfeeding) but how do I do that without shortening his naps?  Right now I feed him at approximately 7:45, 11:00, 2:15, 5:00, & 7:00 and I can't figure out how to get another feeding in.  I don't really have enough milk to do 5:00, 6:00, and 7:00. 

Any suggestions?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 17:32:29 pm »
I am not able to BF so I'm not sure how to answer your question - I'll ask one of our other mods to check in with you.  :)
Jessica

Offline M and N's Mom

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 18:36:57 pm »
Thanks, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 20:13:00 pm »
you could do the cluster feed as in the evening - even though you don't have more milk now, it will come quick enough with lo nursing more often..or you could also pump after each feeding to increase your supply. you may want to entertain doing both and that way you will be able to 'offer' more extra calories during the day if your supply is greater kwim?? or even offer an ounce or so of pumped milk after a feeding.

i wouldn't offer a feed at any other time during the day though imo. good luck and let me know if you have any other quesitons or if i missed something :)
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline M and N's Mom

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 20:27:40 pm »
Thanks, I just don't think he'd be hungry at 5 & 6 & 7.  He has never eaten closer than 2 1/2 hours, but maybe I'll have to give it a try.

As for the pumping...I don't pump well (usually only get 2 oz at a time  :-[).  It was the same when I BF my DD who is now 3 1/2.  I am starting some herbs to increase milk supply so maybe that'll help, although I don't think he is completely draining both sides at each feed.

What is an average number of hours a 4 month can go at night without eating?  Am I expecting too much for him to be able to go 10 hours just because my DD did at this age?