Author Topic: please help with 3 mo old night wakings!!  (Read 1631 times)

Offline ryan-mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
please help with 3 mo old night wakings!!
« on: June 22, 2006, 00:48:07 am »
How old is your child?
3mo big boy over 18 lbs
What’s his/her daily routine?...not same every day
6am wake ...eat
6:10 A
7am S
7:30-7:45 wake..A
9 E...A
9:15-9:30 S
anyway he takes one decent nap like 1.5 or 2 h or even less and then 2-3 naps 30-40 min

naps are done by  5 the latest ....sometimes catnap around 6 if out

7:45 bath...very fussy by now
8pm bf to sleep

What’s nap routine?
see above
How long are naps?
What's bedtime routine? Time?

Do you bottle or breastfed??
 EBF
How much? or how long?
day or night he does 5-8 min except the last feeding 8 pm when i lay down with him..but then after 10 min he latches on and off every sec
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
one side he does not want more
How many wakes per night?
2-3
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up?
at first calm i try paci but he does not take so i bf to sleep...he gets wideawake if not

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?
fussing...did not let him cry
What have you tried to settle??
paci
What do you do for A time and how long is it?
baby gym..bouncy seat with toys, playing with mom and dad around 1 hour

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?
he rolled over yesterday tummy to back....he is teething but he woke up the same before

Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
no
Do they have a prop? If so what is it?
breast, rocking
Do they have a lovie?
no

tonight and yesterday night he took one hour to fall asleep even on the breast....i took him upstair at 7 pm ...bath and he fell asleep 8:30 ...he was on the breast then stopping crying etc
i want at some point to do pu/pd but i understood that is better at 4 mo and pat/shhh in the bed i do not think works for him....but i also want to stop his wakings at least go down to one
i am sure i sound so confused please if you want me to clarify something let me know
thank you ladies

Offline ryan-mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: please help with 3 mo old night wakings!!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 15:40:08 pm »
bump
please

Offline estherofi20

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 15:46:32 pm »
From what i understood from your post, your LO is awake from 5pm till almost 8pm, so i think that is WAAYYYY to much for a 3MO, i think he is overtired at bedtime, and so he wakes up a lot a night. or am i mistaken?

Offline ryan-mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 21:00:15 pm »
thanks
no you are actually right ...sometimes he is awake for more then 3 hours before bedtime

so should i put him to bed earlier?

what time?

laura

Offline estherofi20

• my gorgeous babies
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 02:18:51 am »
I would suggest to put him for a catnap (30-45min) at 6pm, so he can be relaxed for his bath and his bedtime. Here how my DS routine was at tha age, just so you can have a guideline.

7:30 wake up and bottle
8:00 activity
9:30 sleep
11:30 bottle
12:00 activity
1:30 sleep
3:30 bottle
4:00 activity
5:30 sleep
6:30 bath and massage
7:00 bottle and book
7:30 bedtime

HTH

P.S. if you have any doubts, i'm here. ;)

Offline ryan-mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 16:05:20 pm »
thank you again

last night i put him earlier to bed but he took one hour to fall asleep again ...8:30 he woke up 10:30....12am ...2:30....3:30 4:30...6....7:20
i feel like i am losing my mind.........and he does not know to fall asleep on his own so i tried paci but it does not work therefore i bf to sleep....i know soooo wrong

i really need help
yesterday he even took a catnap at 5:30 to 6 and then 7 bath ....

Offline estherofi20

• my gorgeous babies
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 17:02:12 pm »
OK dear, we are going to have to work in baby steps here, i know you must be tired, but hang in there.

How did you settle him all the times he woke up at night?

Offline Zsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 17:34:55 pm »
I'm also new to the forum.  Not even sure if I'm posting in the right place.  I have a three month old who is not sleeping through the night yet.  He slept one time for 10 hours straight and then was going to bed at 730ish and up at 1 or 2am and then again at 6ish.  That happened for about three-four days and now he is waking numerous times at night--I'm really feeling frustrated and obviously a little sleep deprived.  I guess I should answer all the questions first--so let me back up--here goes....

How old is your child?  3 months
What’s his/her daily routine? He wakes between 5-6 am and then takes a mid morning nap and then eats, plays a little and naps again.  He takes a nap in the afternoon and is up around 4 or so and then eats and plays until around 6-630ish at which time, I bathe him, give him a bottle (I'm supplementing with a formula bottle at that feeding) and is in bed by 730-800.
What’s nap routine? Lately though his naps are at different times every day--due to him being so tired cause he's up so much at nite.
How long are naps? Naps are ususally shorter in the am 1/2 hour-1hour and  1.5-2 hours in the afternoon.
What's bedtime routine? Time? already discussed above
Do you bottle or breastfed?? I am mostly nursing and supplementing with formula at the 7pm feed.
How much? or how long? He does not bf very long--typically 15-20 minutes if we're lucky.  He eats a 6oz formula bottle at night and at times still wants more--if that happens I nurse him the rest of the way.  He had reflux diagnosed at three weeks.  He was put on Zantac twice a day.  He has not spit up much as of late and my husband and I have taken him off the meds and he's doing well in that area.  Establishing a real nite routine or just getting him to eat back then was pretty difficult.
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) sometimes one, other times both--he's pretty finicky.
How many wakes per night? On a good night --wakes at 1 and at 5 or 6am.  Lately he's been up about every two to three hours!!  He may be teething--seems to be gumming his hands and everything else for that matter and has a stuffy nose--I actually have suctioned it in the middle of the nite because he sounded stuffy when breathing--he was already awake of course.  This seemed to help for a couple hours.
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? He's only up for about 1/2 hour to an hour each time--depends if I have to change him or not.
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?  He wakes up and doesn't really fuss very long before he all out cries.
What have you tried to settle??  sh-pat method, relaxation CD and pacifier--I even tried to let him cry it out--he's pretty persistent--he'll cry for over 30 min if you let him, I don't like to do that though.
What do you do for A time and how long is it? sh-pat methid--just started about a week ago--not sure how long really.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? teething possible
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) no--I tried rice cereal in a bottle, but didn't help him sleep any longer--so I stopped.
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? pacifier and CD--that's all we give him.
Do they have a lovie?no

Any ideas--I feel like such a bad mom when all my other friends--whom have had babies at about the same time as myself--tell me that their children are sleeping from 7-7.  It makes me feel like I'm doing it all wrong--

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Zsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 17:42:37 pm »
Sorry--I realized I answered the what do you do for A time question the wrong way--sorry a little sleepy :-)

For A time we play on his mat, sit on the lounge outside and look around, read a book, sit in our bouncy, make faces in the mirror, have some tummy time--stuff like that.  A time typically is about 1.5-2 hours.

Thanks again,
Zsmom

Offline ryan-mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 18:07:09 pm »
i did settled him by bfing him...i know wrong!!!!!!
last night i could not sleep so i saw that many times he wakes up sucking his hand so this wakes him up....so i would put the paci before he would even open his eyes...so he did better ...what do you think?

last night

went to sleep 7:30
woke up 9 :30 bf him to sleep then he woke up right after this dh settled him in the bassinete
woke up 11:30 settled him in my arms with paci
woke up 2:15 bf him to sleep

then he was keep moving and sucking his hands so i would turn him on his side and give him paci

woke up 5:30

thank you for your help

Offline Southernbelle

• Showing Appreciation 20
  • Mom to three beautiful kids!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 19:02:20 pm »
Here are my thoughts (I have a 2.5 yr old and a 18week old DD).  Firstly, it will be probably painful for you and him to break the BF to sleep prop.  The more consistent you are with NOT doing it, the quicker things will get better.  You may be more tired before you see improvement....it sucks, but in the end it will be worth it.  I would be inclined to suggest that you get his daytime routine figured out FIRST and then nights may fall into place a little more.  With my touchy DD I had to have a very consistent wake time in the morning and had to set an alarm to make sure I was up.  Usually they recommend no later than 7:30 for the  first feed of the day (even if last night waking was at 5:30 or 6:00).  Activity  time at his age will probably be around 1.5 hours.  You have to figure out what's right for him.  Also, having a VERY set nap routine for him will probably help.   Does he nap in a quiet dark room? We use a sound machine to block out house sounds and when I turn it on DD knows that its time to go to sleep.  I have figured out that DD needs patting with very little Shushing.  I keep the rocking to a minimum and then work on getting her to settle in the bed. That willbe the only way to break the BFing to sleep prop and you can bet your DS is not going to be happy about it.  Is there someone who can come and help you while you try to break the habit.  Even just moral support to help you be consistent would be helpful.  Here's what my DD's schedule looked like at three months:

7:00 EAT
8:30 NAP

10:00 EAT
11:30 Nap

1:00 EAT
2:30 NAP

4:00 EAT
5:00 NAP for 45mins to 50 mins

6:00 BATH
6:30 EAT
7:00 BED

10:30 DF (bottle)

I haven't really tried PU/PD with DD because I think it will be too stimulating for her, but I do occassionally pick up and settle from hard crying before putting her down and starting patting again.

Also, do you think that having the baby in your room could be affecting his sleep.  Some babies are sensitive to noise and maybe just you and DH's sleeping sounds are sturring him.  We had DD in our room for about 8 weeks, but night times didn't start getting better until I broke down and put her in the cirb.  Also, I wouldn't go right in to calm.  Sometimes a little fussing helps them to resettle.  Going in too quickly may be waking your LO up more than needed.  If he starts to cry hard then go in.

Anyway, just throwing around some suggestions.  I think work on daytime first and then see if nights get better.  hang in there....it is so hard to break the props that have helped us all survive the first few months.  It will work when things get a little more set in stone!
5 yrs, 3 yrs, 7 months